SexyCracker
dbaldwin1215

Should driving while talking on the cellphone be allowed?

SexyCracker

Pro

I'll let my opponent speak first on this one, simply because I don't like letting all my stuff out of my bag before the other dude has spoken =P
dbaldwin1215

Con

I do NOT believe driving while talking on a cellphone should be allowed. I believe this because, I mean, we all do it, I see people who are on the phone, and are oblivious of everything around them. When people around me on the road are talking on their cellphone I feel like it's a danger to me and everyone else around me because all of the people I've seen, who talk on the phone, swerve from one lane to the next, speed up, slow down. It's clearly a danger to me and everyone else.
SexyCracker

Pro

Yeah it's obiviously a danger, because it grasp our attention away. But let's take it from a different standpoint, dbaldwin1215.

What if we were to ban cell phones from being used while driving. Cell phones are one of the most habituated way of communicating, and in this world there are a lot of crisis. Let's do a scenario, shall we?

This is Mike. Mike is out of town in Orlando on a business trip. It turns out his son in Miami where he lives was riding a bike and was hit by a car. He gets the call and needs to get back to Miami immediately, because his dying son is in the hospital.

Orlando to Miami is a pretty far drive, and he needs to get to his son as quick as possible. He does not know how his son is doing, whether or not he's improving or going down hill, because he has no means of communication without a cellphone while driving in his car. Therefore, out of panic and wonder, causing him to rush which causes him to not only speed, but delay his sense of reaction and thought as a result panic and worry, which could be lessened if there was a way to communicate. which if enough people are involved in these sort of crisis without any means of communication, could greater the risk of collision.
dbaldwin1215

Con

If a person receives a call on his/her cellphone and it is absolutely imperative that they answer, I believe there should be a lane specified on EVERY major highway or rural interstate for them. A Cellphone Lane, if you will. If this course of action is not possible, then it should be the driver's responsibility to decide whether the call is unexpected, and therefore important, and pull over onto the shoulder of the road.

Lets take that scenario you were speaking of:
Say Mike received this call on his way to Orlando. He would have to take into account, "Is this call unexpected?" If he has reason to believe it is in fact unexpected, he can then safely slow down and pull over onto the side of the road without going any further.

So you see, there are a couple of alternatives to talking while driving.
SexyCracker

Pro

And let me, yet again, turn this debate in another direction.

If we have a bunch of people driving on this busy highway, asking people to pull off to the side of the road could not only cause confusion and road rage, but will also leave a bigger door open for careless mistakes. There are many many people on the high ways today, and asking one to pull off the side of the road, especially if it involves getting in touch with a relative for a crisis related issue, it would cause a disturbance in the natural flow of driving that people will find not only aggravating (likening somebody to road rage and impatience) but confusing as well, and leave a bigger opportunity for careless driving mistakes, from lack of thought and mentality (depending on the depth of the crisis and relationship with someone at risk) Not only that, but in the middle of rush hour traffic, it increases that risk to an even greater level.
dbaldwin1215

Con

Since you've taken this debate and distorted it in every direction possible, I'd like to do the same. Think about this: A driver gets a flat tire or has a blowout, he has no choice but to pull off to the side of the road. I know getting a blowout poses a danger, but it isn't like someone would be able to keep driving on a shredded tire. Who's to say that taking an emergency phone call would be any different? It wouldn't be like it is not important. Back to that Mike scenario: I would think (and I hope you do too) that his son getting hit by a car would be a big deal, and he'd like to find out as soon as he can. All it comes down to now is the question: "Are people smart enough to make the decision of what is and what is not important?" I believe with time, less people will grow smarter about making this decision, not only because, well, after a while it would get annoying, but that with practice comes experience, if you will. I think it would be much safer to slow up gradually and pull off to the side of the road than to swerve all over the place, causing people to have to dodge their vehicle.
Posted by gr33kloser 9 years ago
gr33kloser
HAHA PHOTOSHOP MY RIGHT @$$cheek. drive over here and see she isn't edited for yourselves :P
Posted by Shorack 9 years ago
Shorack
Well, i've worked a while in a callcenter, doing outgoing calls.

And those people went to the side of the road to stop and answer. (you know when they get mad at you because they had to stop for such stupid stuff :'))

I honnestly don't see the problem with prohibiting it.
In fact, over here in Belgium, it is law. You can only call driving with a handsfree set, so that you can at least react with both hands.

Furthermore, there has been test once (in mythbusters :')).
They did a driving test. Once with the maximum amount of alcohol consumed by the driver. Once simply while making a phone call.
The results leave little doubt of the risks.
Posted by SexyCracker 9 years ago
SexyCracker
Why should we have a debate over the pic when nobody knows except me? because it's my freaking picture.

its my picture. it's me.
i'd effin know if i photoshopped it, and if you want proof get the hell over here, i'd like to show you all my pictures that look the exact same that aren't effin photoshopped.

i think you guys are just jealous because i'm so damn beautiful.
Posted by justlikeclockwrk 9 years ago
justlikeclockwrk
dude, yer over reacting. Just cuz yer losing the debate doesnt mean you can go around getting all pissy. Anyways, its not a big deal, just have a little fun.
Posted by dbaldwin1215 9 years ago
dbaldwin1215
i think we should just knock off the bullcrap and stick to the topic above. NOT some stupid accusations which AREN'T true. I think you guys like debating TOO much, as far as having a debate about a freakin photo. GET THE HELL OVER IT! that shouldn't change your opinion about the debate.
Posted by justlikeclockwrk 9 years ago
justlikeclockwrk
i think we should have a debate about the pic.
Posted by SexyCracker 9 years ago
SexyCracker
I think it's funny when everyone's like "her picture is photoshopped" when its my picture and i would know if i photoshopped it or not, lol

when i uploaded it it made it kind of glossy, but i think it does that with any picture you upload.

so, it's not photoshopped. i would kind of know.
talk about something you actually know about, don't run your mouth with "it's clearly photoshopped" when you clearly don't even know, I don't even have photoshop.

think before you open your mouth, betch.
you leave me over here LOLing because you are more concerned with my photo than the actual debate, just chillax. nobody gives a crap.

if you want to accuse everyone of photoshop go to a rate my picture site.

so. go play in traffic.

kthanks<3
Posted by justlikeclockwrk 9 years ago
justlikeclockwrk
I think that it shouldn't be banned, just maybe encouraged not to talk on the phone while driving. Its true that cell phones do disract the driver, but so do coffee and other drinks, so do people (like backseat drivers. . .ugh!) Should we just make it illegal to drive other people or eat and drink while driving? Or should we just make driving illegal all together?
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
I have to say, I am very much drawn towards the arguments put forward by Con, but not as much as I am drawn towards the photo of Pro, so Pro gets it, I'm afraid.

By the way, here in the UK, using mobile telephones while driving is illegal so most people either have hands-free kits installed or use Bluetooth devices. In addition to the obvious safety benefits, this has the added advantage of leaving one hand free to use to hold your beer.
Posted by SexyCracker 9 years ago
SexyCracker
Uhm, my picture actually isn't photoshopped, just clearing up any misconceptions of that...
Vote Placed by MaxHayslip 9 years ago
MaxHayslip
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by gr33kloser 9 years ago
gr33kloser
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by Aietius 9 years ago
Aietius
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by justlikeclockwrk 9 years ago
justlikeclockwrk
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by tangerineman91 9 years ago
tangerineman91
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by sexyjesse0720 9 years ago
sexyjesse0720
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied
Vote Placed by genaro9311 9 years ago
genaro9311
SexyCrackerdbaldwin1215Tied