HashtagWar
Adam_Godzilla

Should drones be banned from public use

Adam_Godzilla
Started: 4/26/2016 Category: Technology

HashtagWar

Con

Drones shouldn't be banned because I mean 1. There will always be idiots that do stupid stuff. 2. Why ruin a chance for photographers and families for memories. 3. Drones can be very helpful. I mean farmers use them for their fields, and drones can be used for fun.
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

This is an interesting topic. I'll play along as con to see where this goes.

Drones violate privacy. Having them fly around whenever with almost 360 vision means most people's faces are recorded. Also, drones can trespass property and kids can plant random rubbish on people's rooftops. Unless you're Casey Neistat or someone using drones for film purposes, it can get hectic to fly drones whenever.

Drones are hackable, meaning someone can use them to fly into a car and cause accidents, but not be blamed for it.

------------
http://computer.howstuffworks.com...
HashtagWar

Con

Okay so you say there is an invasion of privacy. Well only people who are disturbing and such will invade privacy this way plus drones are kind of hard to control especially large ones. Also if your talking about injuries well then we should ban airsoft and Paintball. A lot of things today cause injuries and there are public things that hurt worse than drones also if drones are so "hackable" then prove it I mean how hard is it to hack a drone since you obviously have a site that says so. By the way only very experienced hackers can take out small drones I know what maldrone is and it is a drone malware that rarely works thanks to dur duh dur RADIO CONTROLLED UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES. So prove me wrong now "Smart One" so if you can show me that RADIO WAVES can be hacked easily then prove me wrong with video that shows it being done. Also there will always be idiots I mean ONE STRAPPED A GODDAMN AIRSOFT TURRET WITH AUTO-TARGETING TO ONE AND FLEW IT AROUND THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD AND INJURED THEMSELVES ATTEMPTING TO CAUSE HAVOC. If you can prove me wrong with the hacking then I'll admit your actually not quite as dumb as you may seem when it comes to physics and waves.
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

Alright, let's go back to your main arguments. You're saying you support drones because there will always be 'idiots' doing 'stupid stuff'. So what happens when you are the one getting affected by these people? When someone flies a drone over your house and forces you to shut the curtains, wouldn't you get angry? Why are you the one who has to hide away just because someone decided to spy on people. Sure, looking at people use drones in 'stupid' ways is fine, so long as you're not near them right?

Ok, you know a lot more about drones than I do, I never claimed to be an expert. But if you're interested: http://securityaffairs.co...

Your second point was that drones should be used for family pictures and photos. Sure, but why use drones? Unless it's a big group or again, you're Casey Neistat making beautiful shots. Just think how dangerous it'd be to be in a tourist spot and there'd be drones everywhere in the sky trying not to bump into each other. If one of those things stops working and falls on your head, wouldn't it be annoying?

You also said only disturbing people will invade privacy, but do you really think so? You don't think somebody isn't going to pull pranks on people? Especially younger kids.

I agree on your third point. Drones are fun and farmers can use them. But those things can happen even when drones are banned from public use. Farmers can get permission from government. We can use drones in our private property, or use some other property like a golf course.

I want drones to be publicly used too, but I understand there's a lot of risk involved.
HashtagWar

Con

HashtagWar forfeited this round.
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

I hold the same arguments.
HashtagWar

Con

You say it would be annoying to be injured by a drone well guess what I have, but as I said it was an idiot who attempted to FLY INTO NIAGARA FALLS HIT THE ROCK FACE AND IT FELL ON ME! And when you were talking about tourist areas with many in the sky and what would happen if it stopped working well then the owner 1. Forgot to charge it. 2. Didn't land it when warned by the controller battery is low. 3. Flew it into another drone. or lastly 4. Doesn't/didn't maintain it properly. and the owner would be at fault for improper use/ maintenance. also the prank thing that is something that could happen, but highly unlikely for the fact that WHY WOULD THEY PRANK SOMEONE THAT WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE! Also what farmer would want to rely on the government that much when they could just go ahead and use drones without government need, also the drones could help farmers learn about illegal things on their property that they wouldn't normally know. Okay so a professional hacked a drone a "EXPERT" someone who is trained and paid to do this stuff, but if you want to take that "evidence" and say that anyone can do this that's fine, but evidence that can be easily disproved is dangerous to use. and the fact that they are risky to use is something that applies to all public things they are all "Risky" to use such as vehicles, toys, really any physical substance. Also the video thing if you can get video of a non-professional hacking then your "Hackable" theory is proven right. and that's my GRAND FINALE!
Adam_Godzilla

Pro

Adam_Godzilla forfeited this round.
Posted by Overhead 1 year ago
Overhead
Both sides FF one round, but CON talks down to PRO with language like " dur duh dur" as well as the tone being generally aggressive with the all caps so PRO gets conduct.

CON had big blocks of text with no paragraphs and several instances of ALL CAPS, as well as some iffy sentences where it's hard to make sense of what the point is meant to be ("Okay so you say there is an invasion of privacy. Well only people who are disturbing and such will invade privacy this way plus drones are kind of hard to control especially large ones") so PRO gets S&G as there were no significant issues with PRO.

CON used no sources, PRO used two links to show that hacking drones was a realistic possibility even though CON had denied it so PRO gets sources.

In terms of argument, the points raised in S&G and sources impact this as it was hard to understand what points CON was trying to make on occasion and PRO used sources to prove his points. Looking at the arguments themselves -

Hacking: Although CON dismissed the possibilities, PRO provides links showing that hacking drones is feasible and that the designs needed have even been distributed for free. This is a major point.

Usage for photographs: CON doesn't respond to PRO's R2 counter about the fact that drones are hardly necessary to take photos, only trying to somewhat minimise the downside of the safety risks involved (which is still a negative even if it is minimised)

Farms: PRO concedes the point on farms, admitting they are useful.

Privacy: CON's only counter to the privacy issue in R2 and, as pointed out in S&G, it is incoherent and I can't see what point he's trying to make. I can only count this as an effective concession.

As on most points of the argument PRO comes out ahead, I give the argument to PRO.
Posted by HashtagWar 1 year ago
HashtagWar
Adam_Godzilla when I made this debate I went for my side drones not being banned from public use and you seem to have an interesting fight, but this will end with one victor so no mercy in the ring.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 1 year ago
Adam_Godzilla
I watch them in random, like it was a christmas present, I find it more fun.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
I started to binge watch all his vlogs from vlog 1.

Then my computer crashed and I lost my place.

Sooo frustrating.
Posted by Adam_Godzilla 1 year ago
Adam_Godzilla
@Heirio He's getting really popular. I remember when he only had a couple hundred thousand views.
Posted by Heirio 1 year ago
Heirio
"you're Casey Neistat or someone using drones for film purposes"

When I saw this debate, Casey was the first word to enter my mind.
xD
Vote Placed by Overhead 1 year ago
Overhead
HashtagWarAdam_GodzillaTied
Reasons for voting decision: See comments
Vote Placed by SkyLeach 1 year ago
SkyLeach
HashtagWarAdam_GodzillaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: both forfeit a round so no point there, otherwise both acted well. Presentation was a little soft for both (S&G): tied I went with Con on the arguments because Pro didn't rebut the argument of utility or provide a solution to the privacy problem, merely pointed it out (which Con did as well). Essentially neither side solved the problem with Con coming away with a solid case for functional utility. Point Con on argument.