jkubik2014
whiteflame

Should drug tests be administered to people on welfare?

whiteflame

jkubik2014

Pro

I feel that drug tests should be administered to people who are on welfare. I think this is important because there are many people who are abusing the system by taking the money they get from welfare and just spending it on drugs or alcohol, when they should be putting that money away in the bank, or using it to live off of. And for those people who are not abusing the system, they have nothing to worry about because they aren't doing anything wrong.
whiteflame

Con

I am happy to accept the Con side in this debate. Thank you to Pro for offering it.

As this is the first round, and as Pro's first posting was short, I will keep this brief as well, giving a simple introduction to my arguments. They will be laid out in detail later with citations, but for now, this will suffice to make the debate even.

There are multiple reasons I find myself opposing testing welfare recipients. I have four main points:

1) Drug testing is expensive. That expense actually outdistances the cost of paying out welfare for welfare recipients who are found to be on drugs, and in other instances, it's even less likely to produce cost benefits.

2) It amounts to suspicion-less search lacking probable cause, with the person who is being tested being forced to turn over something to prove their innocence rather than being presumed innocent. That presumption of innocence is very important to any nation's legal structure.

3) Drug tests are mainly used to detect things that stay in the system for a very long time and can be detected by the given method. I will assume urinalysis, which can't be used to detect many drugs at all, and since most don't persist long, will only be effective for a short period following usage.

I await my opponent's full arguments.
jkubik2014

Pro

jkubik2014 forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

*sigh* You know, I was really hopeful that this time, I would get to argue this. I guess that's not going to happen. I sincerely hope that this is just a lapse on Pro's part. As he hasn't posted any argumentation yet, I will abstain from expounding on my points.
jkubik2014

Pro

jkubik2014 forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

Well, so much for that hope. Seriously, when you make a debate about something, make sure you have the time to actually debate it.
jkubik2014

Pro

jkubik2014 forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

Well, I guess we'll just have to postpone the mandatory "exam." And here I was looking forward to a cavity search...
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
They tried this in Florida. I believe they thought the testing would pay for its self. Then they realized it did not and had to cancel the program.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
jkubik2014whiteflameTied
Reasons for voting decision: All points as result of FF.
Vote Placed by Complicated_Mind 3 years ago
Complicated_Mind
jkubik2014whiteflameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Poor Con... CONDUCT: This point clearly goes to Con for not forfeiting; S&G: This is tied from what I see, although Con's arguments were easier to see since he spaced them out; Arguments go to Con. I found all three of his arguments to be more powerful than Pro's single contention. I found the expense of money argument from Con to be very convincing in particular; Sources are tied as neither side used them.