Xaveform
Timbeast

Should drugs be legalized?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Xaveform

Pro

I will be arguing for the legalization of drugs in the United States, and would like to thank my opponent for debating with me.

Drugs have become a staple of rebelliousness in teens and are often linked towards the increasing violence across the nation. By legalizing drugs such as marijuana and methamphetamine, violence would drop significantly, the U.S. could raise money to help decrease the rising debts of the nation, and substance abuse in teens would drop significantly as well.

By legalizing drugs such as marijuana, the U.S. could impose low prices to encourage consumers to avoid buying from the cartels. With lower prices at stake, cartels would either have to lower their prices even further, forcing them to lower their budget for guns, employees, and distribution costs. If the cartels are not able to lower their prices as a whole, their groups could be put out of business completely. Furthermore, many cartels would not be able to recruit young children or teenagers into their groups without a spark in public outrage, which in turn would leave the cartels with enemies and a war they can neither afford nor win. For these reasons, violence among the cartels and innocent civilians would be lowered significantly, and recruitment of civilians into the cartels would be lowered as well.

Once the government takes over the drug business, it can raise money for the ever increasing debt that cripples the nation. With control over the drug business, the government may also be able to monitor the usage and sales of drugs among minors, and help to curb harmful usage.

Part of the appeal of drugs is the culture behind it, as drugs are often associated with rebelliousness and disregard for the law. By making drugs legal, the whole idea of rebelliousness with drugs is diminished, as it is hard to be rebellious with something legal. Furthermore, the amount of arrests brought about by drugs would leave many without jail time, which, in turn, saves more money for the nation, as tax dollars are not going towards the keeping of inmates in jail.

To my fellow debater, you have 72 hours to challenge my arguments with a 9,000 character limit.
Timbeast

Con

Thanks for initiating this debate. As for the arguments I will jump right in.

Since you did not define drugs specifically, I will assume we are talking about all drugs in general. Firstly, is there a reason drugs are illegal? Yes there is. It is because they are harmful. Not only are they harmful to the people that use them but to many others as well. When you look at the whole picture, drug usage hurts society, children, families, and the user. This is a broad scope of damage. In order to win this round, you have to prove that the benefits of legalizing drugs are greater than all the harm it causes in these aspects. Furthermore, encouraging something that is harmful is not a good idea. If America is to stand, then we must keep sense within our people. Drugs destroy nations.

I have an application for this which is the British "takeover" of China, known as the Opium Wars. Britain was trading a certain drug known as Opium with China. Britain was making a large amount of money off of this trade and not being concerned with China's well being, they continued to trade it. China eventually began to realize the ill-effects of this drug and banned Opium houses and the use of Opium. A smart move. However, since Britain still wanted to make money, they continued to smuggle opium into China. This essentially resulted in a bunch of doped Chinese who couldn't think. It also almost resulted in Britain taking over China.

Now that we have seen how drugs hurt nations, let me apply that to individuals personally. The same thing happens on a smaller scale. When a parent gets addicted to drugs, those traits move on to the child and consequently, the child's life is ruined because he has grown up an addict. Same with hurting family members and hurting society. Also, enough people already kill others in car accidents when drunk. Why add people who are high to that list?

Now under your argument that the U.S. government could make prices low, resulting in cartels being put out of business, I have a couple of responses:

(note that I live in Colorado)

1. In Colorado, most of the money collected from taxes of marijuana are spent on drug rehabilitation programs
2. What incentive does the U.S. have to make these drugs cheap? What FIAT power do you have over this?
3. What happens if the U.S. decides to tax these extensively, thus making cartels a more viable option?
4. Is the Government or the free market selling these products? If a free market, who decides the price?

What we see here is that legalizing drugs really may not fix the drug cartels and could potentially make it worse. Under your argument of jail time, I agree. We are spending too much money placing people in jail but does that mean that we should just legalize the problem? If we legalize drugs, we are going to have people in jail for other things like murder. My solution? Instead of putting the violators in jail, just send them a stiff fine. That will make it so instead of losing the money by keeping these criminals in jail, we will gain money by deterring them with fines.

Overall, legalizing drugs would be detrimental to the health of ourselves and the safety of our citizens.
Xaveform

Pro

Xaveform forfeited this round.
Timbeast

Con

Timbeast forfeited this round.
Xaveform

Pro

Xaveform forfeited this round.
Timbeast

Con

Timbeast forfeited this round.