Should education be free?

Education is essential issue for everybody. Every person should finish school ( for being well educated) and then study at the university, BUT not everyone can afford paying a lot of money for education, because it's really expensive issue. If you have possibilities, every month salary and stable job you can allow pay for an average educational centre like college or university. The fees of high rank and quality universities are expensive.But after these universities graduation you can find high salary job without problems. For example, you graduated from Harvard university, OF COURSE you'll find a great job, somewhere in The USA or UAE, or in The UK., but only ones can pay for so really expensive education, and other average population study at simple universities and after graduation have jobless period. In conclusion, education should be free, because there are lot of smart and clever students who want to study there, but can't afford expenive education. Government should give a lot of opportunities for these students.

I shall accept this challenge.

Argument I: Education would die if it were free.

Well if education were free, then this would mean that educators aren’t getting paid. I would not be interested in the Job of an educator because I’m working and not getting paid (a waste of my time). I’m pretty sure this is how everyone would view it when applying for the job of an educator. So with no educators, education is dead.

Argument II: Increase in Taxes.

But if you’re saying that the government would pay for this (to derail my first argument), this would mean an expensive increase in governent spending because going to college for each person is extremely expensive. This would surely mean a heavy increase in taxes (especially forcing it on people that don’t have an interest in college, or funding X college through taxes that don’t agree with them religiously). I'm in the US, and I don't think implementing this plan right now isn't idea because of the government shutdown. In my head things are better the way they are, the government doesn't have to hop in and mess things up.

“I will cut taxes - cut taxes - for 95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class.”
--- Something Barack Obama said in his acceptence speech[3] And I agree with him here, taxes should not be increased.

Argument III: Degrees would be less meaningful, and getting a job harder.

Well, if education were free in the Pro “dreamworld”, it would seem to make sense that there should be an increase in the number of people with ol say a master degrees (or insert whatever gives you an education edge in the job market). This would mean that the difficulty in getting a job would increase where master degrees are required because there would be more people to compete against. Jobs would not increase, only the amount of people with the credential of X job. So, it seems reasonable to say that making education free would make getting a job harder.

Argument IV: Have a great job, that’s not how it works.

You learn and then maybe you MIGHT (And I say Again) MIGHT find a “good job”. There is no guarantee, as there does exist some Harvard grads that are jobless. I know of a woman who has two Harvard degrees, and on top of that has been unemployed for 2 years.[1] I will also point out that in a survey done by Accenture, 41% of college grads thought they were underemployed[2]. And underemployed usually does not mean a great job. So your statement about you can find high salary jobs without problem I think to some degree is incorrect.

== Summarry ==
While I think that it would be cool if I didn't have to pay a dime on education (who wouldn't?), but thats not how it works. We must remember that "free" can be pricey, and the cost of implementing this idea into reality is likewise. I say that keeping the system the way it is now is better, as it could make matters worst (+taxes, +Job Dificulty for job hunters) Also the advantages that the pro implied of a better job isn't always true.

I thank you for the time you have taken to read my arguments. I hope in the following round that you can come to my view.
[1] “It’s my more than two-year stint of job searching and unemployment.”
[2] “41 percent of workers who graduated from college in the past two years (2011/2012 college grads) say they are underemployed and working in jobs that do not require their college degrees “ quoted from PAGE 3;

indiramurzali20132938 forfeited this round.

*sigh* opponenet forfeit. Guess I won. =\

Well because of taxes, the probability of killing education, & increase difficulty in getting a Job are all very good reasons why you should vote in favor for my position. It would be awesome to have free education, but not at its expense. Thank you voters very much for taking time out of your hands to read my arguments,
Posted by gryephon 3 years ago
Well the problem would be government funding. It may not be the taxes alone, but this does increase the power of which the government has (they could cut funding out of political corruption for whatever reason). My personal faith and trust in the US government is somewhat shattered lately, especially with all the problems that has been arising recently (IRS, Edward Snowden, ETC) I don't think its a good idea to utilize government funding for this.

In my head we should simply rethink the whole education system so that its not so reliant on the government. Perhaps have local communities fund their schools like what was done in the old days. I don't want american kids growing up to be so reliant on the government.
Posted by NeoVsMatrix 3 years ago
Free, as in available to everyone at the same level despite their personal wealth, yes. Has to be government funded, as typical in a lot of European countries, very successful. Best systematic foundation for a wealthy economy, educated people make educated decisions, and those who benefited from tax-paid education, are happy to see their own tax dollars go back into it that very same system. Think of it as a pay forward.. you get access to education by other's people tax money, and once you have a job, you pay it back... with your own taxes ( plus inflation, sorry :-)
Posted by indiramurzali20132938 3 years ago
Hi there! I agree with you, but you can be my contender and debate with me, write you arguments.)
Posted by Suchi 3 years ago
i think it education should be free. specially graduation is very expensive so there are many who cannt effort it. i m nt saying totally free but it should be cheap.
Vote Placed by Jakeross6 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con deserves a 7 point win due to the following things: Pro forfeited, but left a statement that Con refuted with a very well organizing and convincing argument. Spelling and Grammar goes to con as well as sources, as Pro provided none.