james0823
jvava

Should electronics be used in schools?

jvava

james0823

Pro

It is the 21st century and still some schools in the US are using low technology and parents argue should children use electronics. Please vote!
jvava

Con

Hello. I am glad to be debating with you.

I am against the integration of electronics in our schools. Why? Because the US education system had much better scores before we started "reshaping" the classroom to fit the wants of the students - these wants include technology.

I am looking forward to an interesting debate. May the better debater win!
james0823

Pro

james0823 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

I will state my personal belief about the use of electronics in school during this round. In the next round, I will provide numbers to back up my claim.

The use of electronics, or technology, in schools has led to a downward spiral in the American education system.

America's rankings were much higher in the world before we started to "modernize" the classroom. Before we started to update schools, the US was number one across the board - in reading, math, science, you name it. It was shining period of pride for the American education system.

But, now, we are rated just "average" among other world leaders. Why? There are quite a few reasons - and I attribute one of the reasons to be the use of technology in schools.

First, it places a new image of the classroom into the student's mind - a more laid-back aura. This is the last thing we need. Students are already too comfortable in the classroom, to the extent of disrespecting their educators and mistreating other students.

Second, it is too expensive. We cannot afford it in a system that is being forced to lay off teachers and make classes bigger. We should be spending our money on definite measures to improve education - an example is the hiring of teachers to make class sizes smaller. Having one-on-one contact with a teacher is better than having a piece of technology in front of you that can't answer your questions directly.

Third, it allows for a huge gap to occur between school districts. The last thing we need is disparity in our schools - and allowing technology allows for this disparity. How about those school systems that cannot afford electronics - how about those districts that are struggling to get by? And then, you have schools districts that can afford it - that can afford technology for each and every student? It would allow for huge gaps to widen between areas based on economic status, race, etc.

And if the districts don't buy for the students, but rather students can bring in their own technology, this allows for disparity to occur inside schools on the basis of economic status, race, etc.

I do not support electronics in schools because it hasn't provided us with solid results, and it is too expensive and allows for disparity to occur between students who can afford it and can't afford it.
james0823

Pro

james0823 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

jvava forfeited this round.
james0823

Pro

james0823 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

I apologize for more previous forfeit.

Anyhow, I extend my agurments. I hope that my opponent can come back and finish up this debate.
james0823

Pro

james0823 forfeited this round.
jvava

Con

jvava forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
james0823jvavaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited more and did not post an argument