fredman15
Grape

Should english be the main language in america

fredman15

Pro

i think english should be the main language of this nation because english is what brought up this nation and we should respect it by makin it the primary language
Grape

Con

Introduction: Thanks to my opponent and everyone on Earth for this glorious debate. I hope it will be stimulating and enjoyable intellectually and perhaps in other ways as well.

My opponent thinks that "english" (which I assume is the same as English, the language I speak) should be the main language in "this nation" (by which I assume he means America, because that is what the title says). He has very specific reasons for this, which I will go into in a moment.

First off, I think we can agree that English is the main language of the United States. I'm too lazy to look up a source proving this obvious fact, so instead I'm going to do a survey of my own. Out of the sample of participants in this debate, one out of two individuals is clearly literate in English. If half of the population knows a language then it can safely be considered the main language.

The question at hand, however, is not whether English is the main language in America, but whether it should be. My opponent's reasons for why it should be are limited and not very logical. There are far more compelling reasons why English should not be the main language in the United States.

The first reason my opponent offers is that English "brought up this nation." As far as I know, America has not moved upwards or downwards significantly in its history. Therefore, I must assume that my opponent uses the word up figuratively. He must be arguing that English has allowed America to rise from it's humble beginning to the glorious, nacho cheese-stained pedestal on which it now stands.

This is a grave insult. English never did anything to help advance America. Indeed, it is abstract concept and therefore incapable of any action, including the "bringing up" of something. America has reached its current glory due to the efforts its brave, hard working, and might I say extremely sexy populace. To suggest that we could achieve our current level of gluttony and excess only through the use of English is denigrating to Americans everywhere.

My opponent's claim that we should "respect" English is unfounded as well. Respecting English is fairly useless because it is, as I mentioned early, and abstract concept. English is not capable of benefiting as a result of our respect for it. Furthermore, English has none done anything to warrant respect. It has not done anything at all because it is not capable of action.

Now for my arguments against English being the primary language. Recall the scientific research survey I preformed earlier. In the sample of 2 participants in this debate, I have found that only one of them seems fully fluent in English. According to my survey, half of the population of America shows a limited understanding of the spelling, grammar, and punctuation rules of English. We cannot have English as our primary language only half of our population is proficient in it. Google image searching reveals that this problem may be more pervasive than my study has indicated:

http://leiterreports.typepad.com...

Wonderful though English may be, I propose that America is simply not ready for it yet. My alternative is as follows:

Basic English, or Simple English, is an artificial language designed for those who are learning English but are not quite ready to converse in the full language yet. It uses simple grammatical rules and a short, 850 word list. This language is designed for practicality and to allow beginners to practice and improve their English skills. In order to better suit the verbal intelligence of the typical American, I propose that this language should be adopted as our official language and used instead of traditional English.

Everyone will be able to learn Simple English in a fairly short time, including immigrants who have no background in the language at all. This will allow everyone to converse without over-stressing their abilities. Eventually, when America is ready, we can start to introduce new words and grammatical concepts.
fredman15

Pro

That was wel put together grape but as i say English as always been the primary language but you see now spanish is starting to become the primary language it should not be allowed that spanish become the primary language everytime you get a sheet of paper it has spanish and english on it in K-12 you are required to learn spanish whwy is that spanish is the central american and south american language why is it requried that we have to learn it over here thats not right English founded this country there fore the immigrants shou;ld learn english and not try to change it where english wont be the primary language. Lets relate this to something if you own a factory and have 100 workers all of the speak english because english is your primary language but a new worker comes in and he speaks spanish are you gonna make all 100 worker learn spanish of course not you are gonna make that spanish worker learn english if he is not gonna learn then he needs to get out you see english was the primary language but many lations come over here and force it to where the english need to learn spanish when they should learn english because english should be the primary language of our country
Grape

Con

For this round, I will focus on explaining how the use of Simple English would easily solve the difficulties in communication between Americans who speak different languages.

It is true that a factory should not have to accommodate for the languages spoken by each respective worker. Otherwise, what would happen if all 100 workers spoke a different language? There must be some standardization.

Forcing everyone to adopt English is not the proper solution. It takes years of learning to fully master a language such as English and factory workers who are struggling to support their families do not have the time or energy that must be devoted to such a task. Furthermore, language classes are often necessary for beginners and they are not very affordable, especially to the generally less wealthy immigrant population.

Recall also that in a factory of 100 people, we can reasonably expect that only 50% of them are completely fluent in English even if they are American. Imagine if a worker needed to create an accident report and could not write coherently? Half of the American workers would be no better qualified to use English than their Spanish-speaking coworker.

The solution to this is to adopt Simple English. Everyone in the factory, regardless of their native language, would be able to learn to speak, read, and write in Simple English at an acceptable level of fluency after only a small amount of instruction. Simple English would free us from the complexities of traditional English.

It is true that traditional English was the language of America in the past. But traditional English was the language of a hard working, productive nation that valued education and innovation. Simple English is a much more fitting language for America today.

fredman15

Pro

so basically my opponent is agreeing with me when I said English should be the primary language you said simple English should be taught but English is English if you know a little bit of English you can say hey I know English whether you know a little bit or a lot you can say I know English so basically you can say by opponent is agreeing with me when he says English should be the main spoken language in America whether it me simple English or advance English
Grape

Con

In the previous round, my opponent has expressed the belief that there is not a significant difference between the traditional English language and Simple English to constitute defining them as two distinct languages. This is simply false and is clearly based off of a misconception of the linguistic differences between the two languages.

This is what English is: http://en.wikipedia.org...

This is what Simple English is: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wikipedia maintains too separate Wikis using the two different languages. I am not going to go into a long explanation of the differences between the two languages because you can click on the links and read a better explanation that way. The most significant difference, however, is that one is a natural language and one is an artificial language. Simple English was based off of English but it is not the same language at all. Furthermore, I doubt a person who is competent in traditional English would consider a Simple English speaker to know English. Traditional English uses a much wider vocabulary and is far less contextual tan Simple English.

Alternately, it would be very possible to create simplified versions of other languages too. Thus, everyone could speak both English and Spanish. In fact, we could probably speak several languages because the amount of grammar and vocabulary we would have to learn would be minimal. Then America would need no primary language at all, everyone could just speak all sorts of languages.

However, I think sticking with the tried and true case for Simple English is the best approach. Learning different languages would probably be too much for most people even if the languages are simple. Furthermore, many people have a disinclination toward learning the tongues of people who are not sufficiently pasty in hue.

The advantages of Simple English seem to continuously build. It will allow people from all backgrounds and levels of intellect to converse as one without offending the sensibilities of the less racially tolerant. We should all rally behind Simple English as a force for equity and practicality in the world of tomorrow. No longer will the lawyer or the gifted nine-year-old be able to confuse us with a tapestry of verbal illusions. Simple English will give everyone an equal chance in society by bringing the level of language and thought down to a level everyone can tolerate. It is time to accept that the complexities of traditional English have become woefully outdated.
fredman15

Pro

fredman15 forfeited this round.
Grape

Con

Though my opponent's last round was unusually eloquent, it will take more than pretty words to refute my argument. As my opponent made no attempt at a case in the previous round, I extend all my previous arguments to this one.
fredman15

Pro

fredman15 forfeited this round.
Grape

Con

Once again, my opponent has tried to distract us with his properly constructed sentence and red test. Do not let that fool you, reader. He has not made any rebuttals to my arguments for the past two rounds. Therefore, all my arguments are extended to the final round and the resolution is negated.
Posted by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
One of the funniest debates I've read, by the way : )
Posted by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
A simple RFD:
Conduct - Con, Pro forfeited several rounds.
S/G - Con for obvious reasons
Arguments - Con's arguments were better; Pro's horrendous grammar rendered his arguments virtually incoherent, plus he forfeited two rounds.
Sources - Con, Pro didn't have any.
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
LOL AT ROY VOTING FOR PRO.
-Not all caps-
Posted by Yvette 6 years ago
Yvette
Con is my new favorite person on this site. Brilliant.
Posted by sadolite 6 years ago
sadolite
Lets not forget "EBONICS" Don't know what it is? Ax me bout it.
Posted by burnbird14 6 years ago
burnbird14
One man created Simple English. Are we honestly discussing using one man's version of a widely used and accepted language in lieu of a language founded by a large group of people? It's like saying we should make Esperanto the language in America, it's foolish.

Not to say that the instigator is doing too great right now. If he's trying to defend English, maybe he should use spell-check.
Posted by sadolite 6 years ago
sadolite
"There is no way pro"
Posted by sadolite 6 years ago
sadolite
Con plays the race card first, he wins automaticly. There is no watypro can prove he is not a racist so by default he is one. Therefore he has been marginalized and nothing he has said in the past present or future will be acceptable dialog in this debate.
Posted by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
No, Simple English is not a set of phrases. It is a fully coherent language. However, it cuts out the more complex rules of grammar and uses only words that are common in everyday conversation. You can create an immersion permutation of logical sentences using Simple English. The only caveat is that you would probably need to introduce extra words that are relevant to specific jobs.

Obviously, I am playing the devil's advocate here. I do not really think that we should eliminate traditional English language and replace it with Simple English. I am trying to make a point by lampooning Pro's hypocritical intolerance of those who do not know a language that he is not very good with either. Some commentators clearly find it funnier than others.
Posted by sadolite 6 years ago
sadolite
Could either opponent please define "simple English" Is that kind of like "Where is the bathroom?" Simple English could not even come close to explaining a simple shop work order let alone a complex one . The shop I work in is filled with people who speak what I presume to be "simple English" according to what con is proposing and they are are all worthless. You have to use sign language to communicate. Half the time they screw it up or they don't understand and you end up having to do it yourself. These people have no possibility for advancement and make no effort to improve their English skills.
Vote Placed by danhep 2 years ago
danhep
fredman15GrapeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although Con was a JA, Pro forfeited...
Vote Placed by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
fredman15GrapeTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
fredman15GrapeTied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
fredman15GrapeTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
fredman15GrapeTied