Letsdebate24
flip911

Should euthanasia be legalized?

Letsdebate24

Pro

There are many reasons why this should be legalized, the most prominent reason is because every human being should be able to decide what they do with their life. There are many senior citizens that are stuck in a bed 24 hours a day, cannot feed or bathe themselves and suffer from severe depression. Who are we to tell someone like that they don't have the right to end their suffering?
flip911

Con

In Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 it says, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted" God as a plan for every person here on Earth. If you chose to kill yourself, you may be ruining God's plan for you. Just be thankful for the life God gave you. For God knows the plans He has for you.
Letsdebate24

Pro

Such a phrase might apply to those that are religious but what about those whose religious belief differs from yours? What about an atheist? Do they not have the right to choose their own fate according to their own belief system? To quote religion as grounds for keeping it illegal is forcing ones own beliefs onto others. America is supposed to be known as the land of the free, not the land of do as I believe because your way of thinking is wrong. We are legally allowed to put a beloved pet to sleep if they have no quality of life. We call it the "humane" thing to do and yet we force our loved ones to suffer a life with zero quality of life. My first job was at a nursing home and I can't tell you how many times I've had a person ask me to help end their life. Many people are forced to live out a disease from which there is no recovery, they suffer from agonizing pain and severe depression but people still refuse to give them the peace they so deserve because they do not have to live in their shoes. It's so easy to deny others such a request when we have at least some quality to our lives
flip911

Con

Just because they are a different religion, doesn't make it right to choose euthanasia. Imagine how your friends and family would react if you chose that your life isn't good enough. Plus if the doctor ends their life, he is basically playing the role Of God. It isn't anybody's choice but God's to choose if we die or not.
Letsdebate24

Pro

I think you missed the point, im not saying that just anyone should be able to get euthanized. There are so many terminal illnesses that people are forced to suffer through until their body finally gives out on them. When your 90 and stuck in a nursing home bed ridden the majority of the day chances are you don't have many friends or family around. As far as the God complex goes I am agnostic myself and I would refuse to let someone's belief that he would disapprove of my choice to end my suffering get in my way. No one has the right to tell me I cannot end my suffering. I know that my friends and family would respect my choice to end my suffering nor would they want me to suffer in the first place. It would be incredibly selfish of someone to ask someone to keep on living when theyre living with so much pain.
flip911

Con

I am sorry , but I think you are missing MY point. No matter what the heck you believe, it is just wrong. "You yourselves are God's temple" - 1 Corinthians 3:16 First, human life bears God"s image and it is not for us to terminate. Second, according to the Christian worldview we are part of community joined to each other. We are not autonomous. The decisions we make impact other people. Finally, if the law was changed there would be a great risk that people would feel pressured into accessing assisted suicide or euthanasia. At present if you are a burden on your family and the state and have a sensitive conscience you don"t need to feel guilty about being a burden in the sense that there is nothing you can do about it. If assisted suicide or euthanasia became available, though, then there would be a mechanism sanctified with legal approval, that you could take.
Posted by qaspur 3 years ago
qaspur
If I could vote I would vote pro, since Con is just not arguing from any valid point. I am Orthodox and I am pro euthanasia, if that doesn't say something then what does? This is why you need to argue with facts and not beliefs.
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
I was pro for this back in high school (both ideologically, and that's what I was chosen to do), and I lost, because I could only find two websites worth of data on the whole internet, while my opponent had at least a dozen.

Nice to see that the con side in just citing the Bible, so you win by default at this rate.