Should every student have access to free school breakfast & lunch?

First round is for acceptance.

I am pro-free school breakfast and lunch for all students, regardless of economic status. I believe we will see an improvement in the quality of education if we implement free breakfast and lunches into our schools.

Thank you to whoever accepts this - and I wish you well. May the voters decide who ultimately wins!

(Please excuse my spelling and grammar on a phone ) Well free breakfast and lunch may sound good in the eyes of a students or parents nothing is free and thus you will have to raise school taxes meaning you will (depending on where you live) be indirectly charging the parents so it will not do
Much good

Thank you for accepting. I am very excited to debate this topic.

Hunger is erased.

By offering free breakfast and lunch for every student, regardless of economic status, hunger can and will be erased from our schools. Sure, those students who cannot afford lunches currently can apply for free and reduced meals - but, many do not apply for a number of reasons. One reason is because many parents forget to fill out the paperwork. Another reason is because of some sort of language barrier - many parents cannot understand the paperwork and, therefore, do not fill it out. Other reasons are because the student is too embarrassed to mention the program to his/her parents - or, in some, cases, parents aren't even made aware of the option.

"About three-quarters of Boston’s 57,000 students last year qualified for a free or a reduced-price lunch. A discounted lunch cost just 40 cents, compared with the full price of $2.25 in elementary schools and $2.50 in middle and high schools.

School officials say more students would have qualified for the perk if their parents had filled out an application.

Parents fail to do so for a variety of reasons, such as the forms being printed in a language they cannot read — more than 100 languages are spoken among Boston school families — or getting lost in a mountain of paperwork and notices that students bring home."

This is from a Boston-based article that I will cite at the end of this argument.

School faculty - or debt collectors?

In many instances, school faculty such as cafeteria workers, teachers, principals, etc. are put into awkward situations when it comes to a student that cannot afford to pay for his/her food. In many cases, school faculty use their own money to afford a student's meal - or they set up a special account for students that can't afford to pay.

My argument is that having to pay brings many awkward situations that can otherwise be avoided.

"Because many schools are reluctant to turn away students if they do not have the money, cafeteria workers charge the lunch to an account set up for the family. A principal or another school employee will eventually seek payment from parents or guardians — putting them in the awkward position of becoming bill collectors...“We are caught between a rock and a hard place,” said Michael Peck, the School Department’s director of food and nutritional services. “Many principals have told me, ‘The family doesn’t have the money; what do I do?’ ”

Also from that article, which I will cite at the bottom of this debate round.

Class divide.

Students who eat breakfast and lunch from home are often considered well-to-do and well-cared for, while those who receive special treatment in the way of free and reduced meals are often considered poorer.

"The change, Boston school officials say, is a natural outgrowth of a decision last school year to offer all students free breakfasts. It eliminated an awkward socioeconomic divide that unfolded in some schools every morning, where low-income students would receive free milk, pastries, or other items in their classrooms, while more affluent students often went without."

Pulled from a Boston Globe article, which I will cite at the bottom.

Eliminating prices on school meals will eradicate the shame that goes along with having to receive special treatment.

If every student has free access to a healthy meal, imagine what would occur as a result. Our younger generation could eat food with good nutrition at least twice a day. It may not eliminate childhood obesity, but students would surely benefit from it.

Students are better equipped to learn.

If every student was full from breakfast and lunch, without the shame of having a free-and-reduced meal, they would be better equipped to learn. Better-nourished students are more likely to learn and focus on the lesson.

Many studies have shown that students who eat breakfast are more likely to do well in school. I will provide an article at the bottom to prove this. The same logic can be used for lunch: if every student has access to a free lunch, regardless of economic status, they are more likely to do better in school. Instead of thinking about where their next meal will be coming from, they can focus on the lesson entirely, certain they will at least receive two meals to nourish them throughout the day.

All in all, there are more benefits to free lunch than cons. I would like to state that I support a parent's right to prepare their child's lunch. I am one who brings my own lunch every day to school; I think this should remain an option. I just believe that if everybody had access to free lunch, we would benefit as a whole and our education system would improve drastically, especially in areas that are poorer.

Thecullenator forfeited this round.

Too bad, my opponent forfeited.

Anyways, I extend my arguments. Hopefully my opponent will come back and argue the rest of this debate.

Thecullenator forfeited this round.

Free lunch may be expensive, but it will come with many lucrative benefits: better-engaged students, minimal hunger for school-aged children, no teachers or administrators after money, no parents stressing about free-and-reduced lunch forms, etc. Free lunch and breakfast is an investment that will not only change our education system but change it for the better.

Vote for the debater who offered fact, who debated in every round.

Thecullenator forfeited this round.
Posted by GAF 2 years ago
I would accept the challenge but I completely agree with the free school lunch stance, and I'm almost positive that that is not how this site works, but I only agree because kids are essentially forced to go to school in America and if they make them go they may as well provide small things like that incase there is no time in the morning or what have you for that kid or their parent to fix breakfast or lunch.