Should every student recieve free school lunch?

First round is for acceptance.

I am for providing every student with free lunch prepared at the school, regardless of economic status. I believe we will see an improvement in the quality of education if we implement free lunches into our schools.

Thank you to whoever accepts this - and I wish you well. May the voters decide who ultimately wins!

Thank you for accepting. I am very excited to debate this topic.

Hunger is erased.

By offering free lunch for every student, regardless of economic status, hunger can and will be erased from our schools. Sure, those students who cannot afford lunches currently can apply for free and reduced lunch - but, many do not apply for a number of reasons. One reason is because many parents forget to fill out the paperwork. Another reason is because of some sort of language barrier - many parents cannot understand the paperwork and, therefore, do not fill it out. Other reasons are because the student is too embarrassed to mention the program to his/her parents - or, in some, cases, parents aren't even made aware of the option.

"About three-quarters of Boston’s 57,000 students last year qualified for a free or a reduced-price lunch. A discounted lunch cost just 40 cents, compared with the full price of $2.25 in elementary schools and $2.50 in middle and high schools.

School officials say more students would have qualified for the perk if their parents had filled out an application.

Parents fail to do so for a variety of reasons, such as the forms being printed in a language they cannot read — more than 100 languages are spoken among Boston school families — or getting lost in a mountain of paperwork and notices that students bring home."

This is from a Boston-based article that I will cite at the end of this argument.

School faculty - or debt collectors?

In many instances, school faculty such as cafeteria workers, teachers, principals, etc. are put into awkward situations when it comes to a student that cannot afford to pay for his/her lunch. In many cases, school faculty use their own money to afford a student's lunch - or they set up a special account for students that can't afford to pay.

My argument is that having to pay for lunch brings many awkward situations that can otherwise be avoided.

"Because many schools are reluctant to turn away students if they do not have the money, cafeteria workers charge the lunch to an account set up for the family. A principal or another school employee will eventually seek payment from parents or guardians — putting them in the awkward position of becoming bill collectors...“We are caught between a rock and a hard place,” said Michael Peck, the School Department’s director of food and nutritional services. “Many principals have told me, ‘The family doesn’t have the money; what do I do?’ ”

Also from that article, which I will cite at the bottom of this debate round.

Class divide.

Students who eat breakfast and lunch from home are often considered well-to-do and well-cared for, while those who receive special treatment in the way of free and reduced lunch are often considered poorer.

Eliminating prices on school lunches will eradicate the shame that goes along with having to receive special treatment.

If every student has free access to a healthy lunch, imagine what would occur as a result. Our younger generation could eat food with good nutrition at least once a day. It may not eliminate childhood obesity, but students would surely benefit from it.

Students are better equipped to learn.

If every student was full from lunch, without the shame of having a free-and-reduced meal, they would be better equipped to learn. Better-nourished students are more likely to learn and focus on the lesson.

Many studies have shown that students who eat breakfast are more likely to do well in school. I will provide an article at the bottom to prove this. The same logic can be used for lunch: if every student has access to a free lunch, regardless of economic status, they are more likely to do better in school. Instead of thinking about where their next meal will be coming from, they can focus on the lesson entirely, certain they will at least receive one meal to nourish them throughout the day.

All in all, their are more benefits to free lunch than cons. I would like to state that I support a parent's right to prepare their child's lunch. I am one who brings my own lunch every day to school; I think this should remain an option. I just believe that if everybody had access to free lunch, we would benefit as a whole and our education system would improve drastically, especially in areas that are poorer.

1. This is the article about Boston's free breakfast/lunch program -;

2. This article states that students who eat breakfast are more likely to do well in school; this logical can be used for lunch as well -

dylan160w forfeited this round.

jvava forfeited this round.

dylan160w forfeited this round.

Excuse me for forfeiting the last round.

I extend my arguments. I hope that the voters will vote for the debater which offered a valid argument based on fact and statistic - and that they will also judge according to conduct.

Vote Pro.

dylan160w forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Adam2 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited. Pro conceded