Reli
phdebater

Should fairy tales be encouraged for today"s children

phdebater
Started: 11/17/2017 Category: Arts
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Reli

Con

I think fairy tales give children unrealistic ideas of how life should be and how life will be when there an adult
phdebater

Pro

I think fairy tales should be encouraged for today's children. Fairy tales exists because they are used as a moral compass for children worldwide as they grow up, and that alone is enough argument to show that fairy tales do more good than harm, but I won't stop there.

According to the Scottish Book Trust that fairy tales are beneficial for one's childhood due to the following reasons:
1. They enhance imagination
2. They teach us right from wrong
3. They develop critical thinking skills
4. They learn how to deal with emotions

I agree with all the statements the Scottish Book Trust has put out since using our imagination is becoming more scarce (especially for our children) in these day and age due to the influx of technology being released. Right and wrong maybe taught by parents alone but when parents uses role models for children, they are taught faster-this can be seen with celebrities who are cited as role models. Children also needs their critical thinking skills taught because schools are now rejecting the idea of teaching a certain curriculum and grading their students based on their reaction to the curriculum, and now are heading towards grading and teaching students in using their critical thinking skills. Last, they learn how to deal with emotions. Children can be inept during these years and fairy tales is a wonderful medium in dealing with their emotions better.
Reli

Con

Children can learn critical thinking skills through problem solving which can be done in there everyday lives. Right from wrong can be learned best from modern times since most fairytales were written years ago in times different from today. Imigainatoion can be enhanced through art and games of make believe. Children can learn overtime how to deal with emotions and parents can help them learn this to. Fairytales don"t have to be responsible for all of these things.
phdebater

Pro

I am not stating that fairy tales have to be responsible in all of these things. I have said that fairy tales is a wonderful medium in dealing with their emotions better, meaning that I don't solely put the responsibility in fairy tales, I am stating that they are wonderful tools in teaching your children the statements I said above.

I would like to point out that my adversary in this debate stated that "most fairy tales were written years ago in times different from today", which is wrong considering those fairy tales you said that are written years ago are mostly fairy tales created by the Grimm Brothers. The fairy tales that are being taught to children today are those created by Disney and the likes. These fairy tales have been modified thoroughly to fit today's day and age right and wrong, therefore fairy tales are useful in telling right from wrong.

You also stated that "imagination can be enhanced through art and games of make believe" which is wrong. Littlethings.com and Factscompany.com stated that 75% of children under the age of 8 years uses mobile devices in playing games and making art. This is alarming considering the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says that this is bad and has potential permanent damage in children's development.

Back to Con.
Reli

Con

https://m.huffpost.com... This article states that today we censor our children"s stories so they do not see the suffering that happens in life. That just makes fairytales more unrealistic since the princess always lives happily ever after and ends there we never know if she stays happy. My source also states that fairytales get rid of the suffering that happens to all people. And they give the idea to young people that they will live happily after finding a prince or princess instead of telling them that things like hardwork or ressilance could make them happy. These points made in my source only further emphasize the negativity of fairytales towards children today in books and this can be seen in many Disney movies to.
phdebater

Pro

I would like to point out that my adversary in this debate, disregarded my arguments and my credible citations and despite this being the last round failed to make his/her conclusions. Also, he/she used huffingtonpost as his/her credibility despite it having low credibility and is a blog. My arguments were all research and studies made by experts in the study while his/her is a blog post.

I would like to make the conclusion at this round and say that I stand by what I said that fairy tales are good for you children due to the arguments I presented above. I do admit that what con is saying could be true seeing that most fairy tales do have a questionable realities but the studies still show that fairy tales despite all the negatives in fairy tales are still a good medium for teaching children worldwide.

That is all.
Posted by SupaDudz 1 week ago
SupaDudz
Shadow, its not noticeable to the fact that it gives the judge a hard time understanding
Posted by Shad0wXx 3 weeks ago
Shad0wXx
Pro"s argument seems much more convincing, so far. Also, con"s grammar/spelling isn"t too great. Con, please spare us pain by knowing when to use "there", as compared to when you should use "they"re".
Vote Placed by SupaDudz 1 week ago
SupaDudz
ReliphdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Close...very close debate. The Huffington Post author has a bias, so therefore sources do not matter. Here is where the debate gets tricky The CON doesn't answer a lot of the PRO's arguments, or is weak on them. PRO does not capitalize on this opportunity. Bias author in R3 disclaims to entire claim made their in my belief. PRO's arguments are weak because he has no evidence claiming these things and it is opinion based which is not capitalized by CON. Since he drops these arguments or doesn't structure them in a way that the judge understands In the end it is a invalid R3 argument and not clearly stating points versus not extended arguments and not capitalizing the opportunity. If you want to read more about my judging style, it will be on my bio. Due to my paradigm, or belief, I am voting PRO because of invalid sources of CON and unclear rebuttals. Good debate overall!