BudderPick100
warren42

Should food Advertisements be targeted at children and teens

warren42

BudderPick100

Con

“MOMMY BUT I WANT IT! I WANT THE SPONGE-BOB CHOCOLATE BAR!” Have you ever heard that from your child? Do they ask for sugary, high-in-fat foods a lot? Do you buy it for them a lot?” Now are they getting a little bit chubby? Do you want to know what is causing them to ask for these chips or candy which is making them unhealthy? Advertising is America’s road to Obesity especially in children and tweens. I am informing you about all the ways advertisers can sneak ads into your life. There are many, many ways they do this. Ads affect the obesity in children. Obesity has almost everything to do with advertising. Ads get kids to want to buy a junk food in which has them beg you to buy the junk food. They buy it so much that they get fat.

Kids watch a lot of television. Haven’t you noticed? Television exposes little children and tweens to a lot of ads. Ads are mostly targeted at 2-8 year olds. Especially with sugar cereals. The advertisers slowly brainwash these innocent children into buying these high in fat indulgences. The advertisers try to get to the kids at a very young age to get life buyers. Which means that the kid will buy their product for the rest of their life. “Children have figured out that if they beg their parents multiple times to buy a sugary food, their parents will give in and buy the kid that specific food or candy. Just so the child will stop bothering their parents.”- Consuming the Kids: Commercialization of childhood (Documentary). The kids keep up this same process until the parents just buy the kid the food or candy regularly. See, nag, buy, eat, repeat. See. nag, buy, eat, repeat. This is what has come to childhood these days. The advertisers are like a magnet to kids they will draw the kids in to buy their product. Then when the advertisers get to them with the commercials they can’t stop eating their product. They eat and eat and eat until those little innocent kids you once knew turned into a big slob that in twenty years from now is still living at your house. You don’t want this to happen to your kid do you?

Have you seen more characters from movies and TV shows on cereal boxes lately? Advertisers will use those loving, adoring characters as another way to lure your child or tween into their grasp. “When you are shopping at the mall and your child says ‘Mommy, I want this Scooby-Doo Mac-and-Cheese! It’s really good!’ Then you’ll say’ Have you ever had it before?’ then your child will say ‘No, but I know it is good!’ These characters on these sugary foods get kids to think that the character itself makes the candy or themed cereal makes the candy better. Then when your kid sees the themed cereal he asks, and asks, and asks until you give in and get it for him. Then he wants more and you buy it until for you it becomes a habit that when you run out you buy more. Your kid eats that and won’t eat almost anything else and then the get overweight because of eating it so much.”-Consuming the Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood. In my own experience I have found that there are games where you play the character collecting the product or keeping it away from harm. For example: McDonald’s McWorld. It is a virtual world that is based off of the theme of the toys that McDonalds is giving out that month. Advertisers will use these sweet, adoring characters against us for them to make a few extra bucks.

Advertisers are not all sugar and spice and certainly don’t play nice. They love to sneak little ads into your everyday life and you don’t know it. Did you know that they will pay Celebrities to say the like a certain product on twitter and tweens following him will see that tweet and they will go out and buy that product because a celebrity said it. There are websites that will make the user watch an ad to get something free or to login. This is occasionally when you are online or playing a game on your phone. Be careful on what you are urged to buy because you may say “Pssshht. Yeah right.” But you are being brainwashed by ads too. All you need to do is ignore these ads and you’re set!

Obesity has everything to do with advertising. Don’t fall victim to the perky ads. Let your kids admire characters, but not have a lot of themed foods. Don’t let celebrity’s get to you. I know this is a lot to take in and I know what you are thinking “Honey, get the sledgehammer we are scraping the TV!” No! Don’t do it! All you have to do is ignore the ads so you and your children don’t get overweight.

warren42

Pro

This should be interesting, because I actually personally agree with my opponent's position, and I'm passionate on the subject to the point where I wrote a term paper on the topic. I just thought it would be fun to play devil's advocate.

I will be offering two major points here.

1. The companies need revenue.
2. Self-control solves the issue.

Back to my first point, companies need revenue. As my opponent stated, these companies draw customers in for life when the customers are at a young age. I'll provide some empirical proof [1] for this claim, which I agree with. Now, obviously a customer that has a habit of returning is going to be helping the profit margins of these "junk-food" companies and continue to support the business. This is actually going to flow to my side of the debate, however, because keeping these companies in business is a vital part of economic stimulus. Without the fast-food industry, many jobs would be lost, and customers would be forced to choose between low-quality food at middle-of-the-road prices or high quality, high priced food. It would the pockets of the consumer [2].

Now for the second key point, self-control solves.
As my opponent admits, "All you have to do is ignore the ads so you and your children don"t get overweight." Thereby admitting the advertisements aren't too powerful that they overpower our own free will. This means that parents can deny these products to their children and effectively deter the negative health effects that they come with.

[1] http://www.medicaldaily.com...
[2] http://www.qsrmagazine.com...
BudderPick100

Con

Have you seen more characters from movies and TV shows on cereal boxes lately? Advertisers will use those loving, adoring characters as another way to lure your child or tween into their grasp. “When you are shopping at the mall and your child says ‘Mommy, I want this Scooby-Doo Mac-and-Cheese! It’s really good!’ Then you’ll say’ Have you ever had it before?’ then your child will say ‘No, but I know it is good!’ These characters on these sugary foods get kids to think that the character itself makes the candy or themed cereal makes the candy better. Then when your kid sees the themed cereal he asks, and asks, and asks until you give in and get it for him. Then he wants more and you buy it until for you it becomes a habit that when you run out you buy more. Your kid eats that and won’t eat almost anything else and then the get overweight because of eating it so much.”-Consuming the Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood. In my own experience I have found that there are games where you play the character collecting the product or keeping it away from harm. For example: McDonald’s McWorld. It is a virtual world that is based off of the theme of the toys that McDonald's is giving out that month. Advertisers will use these sweet, adoring characters against us for them to make a few extra bucks.

warren42

Pro

Apparently my opponent copy-pasted their Round 1 arguments.
So please vote Pro.
BudderPick100

Con

I am very sorry about last round an incident occurred where I tried deleting the text in the box but it wouldn't let me delete it. But food advertising shouldn't be targeting children. Kids are growing up way too fast. On kids shows like Drake and Josh or Icarly they advertise products that the kids see the actors partaking in and they want to too. The advertisers also have a sneaky card up their sleeve. Background viewing. They will put their product in the background of shows and will show it multiple times. There was research where scientists showed a person a TV show it had a pictures of milk and words that said "Milk" in the background. At the end of the show they asked the person watching the show to finish this sentence "An ice cold glass of _______." There was three choices to choose from. A glass of water, soda, and of course milk. The man choose milk and said that it sounded really good. Then the scientists told that man that they had hidden pictures of milk in the video. The man was very surprised. That man was me watching "Brain Games". Well anyway advertisers will also show adult products on kids shows such as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and now a new one that kids watch alot now MTV. They show advertisements for sex toys, and Achohol, and cigarettes. They kids will want these products and grow up faster. My 7 year old son comes home from school talking about things that is not appropriate for his age. I will not motion the thing he said one day but I asked him where he learned it and he said that another kid told him he saw this in a commercial. Kids should not be Exposed to these types of commercials or any commercial at all.
warren42

Pro

Thanks, Con.
I'd like to provide three key voting issues for today's debate.

1. Empirics
Looking at the debate, it's clear which side supports their arguments more effectively. My opponent provides claims of "research" done by "scientists" but then states that it's a personal experience. Not sure how those two line up. If studies were provided, this would've been a valid point, but there weren't any. My opponent doesn't even know his own argument. Neither sex toys, nor tobacco, are allowed to be advertised on TV, so this claim is absurd. Had they used the fact that tobacco can be advertised in magazines that youth read, such as Sports Illustrated, this claim would be valid. But again, they didn't say that, so it's not a legitimate claim. The second problem with my opponent's argument is the fact that alcohol commercials aren't aired during kids' shows on Nick or Cartoon Network. In fact, Nickelodeon has teamed with a group discouraging youth alcohol use. [1] MTV isn't a network designed for youth, so alcohol companies aren't targeting youth when they are airing commercials on MTV. So I'd urge you to ask your son where he learned about whatever explicit content he knows about, because it's not from TV, unless it's alcohol-related and you're allowing him to watch programs not suited for a seven-year old. Essentially, I provided supports for my claims, while my opponent provided claims of studies without actually providing links, along with personal stories, which aren't sufficient evidence for a complex debate such as this one.

2. Economic repercussions
The idea proposed by my opponent is essentially to not allow advertising companies to target young audiences. In my constructive, I showed that this would lead to a large decrease in revenue for fast-food companies, which are a large portion of our economy. it would have a negative externality on the consumer. My opponent dropped this point, so we can presume it true.

3. Self-control solves
Pull through my argument from my constructive. My opponent conceded it in round one. I pointed this out, and my opponent didn't address the point, so we can assume it's true. Therefore not only does my argument stand, but my opponent agreed, therefore conceding the debate that there should be regulations.

For these reasons, please vote Pro.

[1] http://www.nick.com...
Posted by BudderPick100 2 years ago
BudderPick100
Hey this is my first debate and now I know what to do next time
Posted by Endy 2 years ago
Endy
Looks like an easy sweep by Pro..
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
BudderPick100warren42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: While Con made some interesting assertions, he failed to tie them together with evidence. Pro made some good points, which Con failed to rebut.