JanusTwoFaced
StatsAndFacts

Should foreign language be a required course to graduate high school?

JanusTwoFaced

Con

With all this talk about improving our troubled education system we hear a multitude of ideas ranging from bringing back music classes, to standardized testing, to requiring one or two years of foreign language classes. The U.S. lags behind in STEM subjects to an egregious degree. Should we be focusing more on STEM subjects rather than attempting to create a generation of bilingual students when more useful languages like Chinese are not being provided nationally?
StatsAndFacts

Pro

I accept this debate. I assume from my opponent's comments that I will be arguing that it should be required to take a foreign language in high school, is that correct?
JanusTwoFaced

Con

JanusTwoFaced forfeited this round.
StatsAndFacts

Pro

StatsAndFacts forfeited this round.
JanusTwoFaced

Con

JanusTwoFaced forfeited this round.
StatsAndFacts

Pro

As my opponent has already given a basic understanding of the background of their argument, I believe that it is only fair that I do the same. I believe that a foreign language SHOULD be a required high school course because we live in a world of ever-increasing globalization. We are all becoming more and more interconnected. It is true that, in most parts of the world, English is the first, or one of the first, languages turned to; but it still makes sense for us English speakers to learn at least the basics of another language in order to communicate with others more effectively. Also, this will also help us to understand other cultures more, which will lead to more tolerance, a thing that is sadly lacking in the world right now.