carles37
ki0601

Should foreign languages be taught in kindergarten?

carles37

Pro

Foreign languages should be taught at a young age because it is easiest for their brains to absorb a new language. Since these children are so young and still learning their own native language, they can make connections with the new words and phrases of the foreign language. I also believe that way the kids will retain the information for a longer period of time. Also growing and constantly studying another language over several years of schooling will help become fluent in a way that is spoken in the foreign country. Speech and comprehension of usual core classes like social studies and english increase. It has been proven that standardize test scores improve because it easier to understand the material and relate it back to their language classes.
ki0601

Con

Contention 1
Frequently, the classes of foreign languages become repetitive in content and children become bored. From a survey of former Kindergarteners from 3 elementary schools, 87% of them have stated that the foreign language class was their least favorite class. This boring environment wouldn’t allow for the very best environment for learning.

Contention 2
With the current economy and education cuts, schools should use funds to pay for teachers of math, ELA, and the Sciences. Once those budgets are made, the funds should go towards Physical Education and the Arts, in that order. Children should learn the language of the country they presently reside in. I would like to use the analogy of a mother and her children. A mother would teach her child how to properly communicate with her first; not some other language.

Rebuttals:
Children who are ELL or ESL students cannot make the connection between the two languages because they don't even know one of them. It would prevent them from learning English. Foreign languages taught in Kindergarten do not stick to the children for more than a year. Using my own personal experiences, I do not remember any foreign language words learned from grades K-5. Every week, Kindergarteners learn the same phrases,,yet they do not remember. That shows that they cannot retain as much information as my opponent states. Currently, elementary schools teach a different language every year. This does not help the children. They become increasing confused with each coming year of elementary schools. Furthermore, this resolution states "should foreign languages be taught in kindergarten. My opponent has stated "studying a language over several years." This statement is not valid because the resolution deals with Kindergarteners.

Asian languages, Middle Eastern languages, and many other languages have a different alphabet or writing style. European languages mainly have words with genders, and conjugations of verbs are completely different from what children are used to. It would confuse the young children, not allowing them to fully delve into the American Language. My opponent has stated that the young
can make connections, but when a child does not even understand the language that is being connected from, there can be no connections.
carles37

Pro

The first point my opponent states that kids find foreign language to be the most boring class. However like any class that can be interpreted differently depending on the teacher and how they teach. Any class can be boring if the teacher does not keep his or her students actively engaged. Kindergarteners need a lot of hands on attention. They also are more interested in learning because they long to feel as smart as their parents or siblings. A little kid feels a sense of pride and accomplishment when he or she goes home and tell their family what they learned that day.
Proceeding to my opponents next argument. It is proven that students who can speak another language do better on standardize testing. Comprehension levels of these students are higher. Schools should focus on teaching other languages because this skill increase the chances for that person to get hired for a job. The future of America if it wants to continue to prosper will need the help of foreign nations, but if the preceding generations do not stress or learn other languages, our country will not be able to communicate with them. To show we respect other nations we need to be able to at least speak their languages. By knowing another language, other ways of speaking and even other languages become easier to understand.
I do agree that for kindergarteners it would be hard to learn a new alphabet and genders of words when they do not quite understand their own. In kindergarten kids should be exposed to the new language. My previous argument was not saying kindergarteners had to learn the whole language that year. Kindergarten should start with the foundations of a new language and then proceed to its following years. From my own experience when teachers make learning how to say the same thing in a different way fun the student do remember it. My own sister had learned spanish for one year in kindergarten and has not been learning it since. Yet she can say foods, colors, and numbers that she learned. (No one in my family speaks spanish,we speak french).
ki0601

Con

ki0601 forfeited this round.
carles37

Pro

carles37 forfeited this round.
ki0601

Con

ki0601 forfeited this round.
Posted by carles37 4 years ago
carles37
@One_Winged_Rook No, I am trying to write a persuasive paper that needs both sides of the argument.
Posted by One_Winged_Rook 4 years ago
One_Winged_Rook
Do you want your opponent to full-heartily be against foreign language? Cause I can make an argument against it, but I'm not fully convinced myself