ksiegrist
loveu157

Should funds be put more towards public schools or vocational schools?

ksiegrist

Pro

Honestly I believe that funds should be implemented more towards vocational schools for numerous reasons. I think that some public schools aren't that great with what they teach and their school as a whole in general. In public schools, the information that they teach students gets them ready for what they want to do as far as their occupation. A lot of kids have no idea what they want to pursue once they graduate High school and some don't even attend a college. A vocational school is great because you can take what is called a "shop" class that you are interested in and then after High school you can go into college for that field of study or get a job right away right after you graduate.
loveu157

Con

Public school is one of the most under funded things in the world. Public schools are what is most needed for people who have no money, and are not able to give their children a well deserved education. Vocational schools are not important when you have the ability to go to a collage. You say that vocational schools are a school that you go to after you graduate to study what you want to a greater extent. While this is true that only means something you go to after education. If you imagine education as a tree you would have general education at the bottom and specific education as one of the many branches. Public school is at the bottom (roots) because your not going to be interested in going into school for design if you don't like geometry. You also bring up the fact that many public schools don't educate you well. That is proof from your own words that state you believe you should be given a better education. If you can't afford private school you send your kids to public school to learn. The only way they will learn is if they are interested. The way to make them interested is to teach them well. The only way to teach them is through public general education. They need more money.
ksiegrist

Pro

Public schools might be underfunded, but it does not cost a dime to go to a vocational school. Vocational schools have shop classes that you might be interested in doing after High school (going right into the workforce) or after college. I know a lot of friends that are going to this vocational school just to get away from their public school because it's not a very good school. They might not even go into the field that they are studying, and you don't have to, no ones gonna make you. As for me, I take Graphic design, but after I graduate I'm not even going into that field, I'm going to college to be a teacher. The good thing though us that if you aren't going into the field you are studying, at least you have it as a backup if your first decision does not work out for you.
loveu157

Con

1. Pro did not bring any evidence besides the fact that she has friends who go to vocational school.

2. pro did not counter any of my arguments and ignored the fact that your not going to be interested in school, if you don't have a good well funded education.

3. It is the law that until you are 16 you must go to school. If you go to an underfunded public school your not going to have a good education. Pro says that public school does not supply a good education. This is an extreme generalization on pro's behalf. Schools were made to teach, not to rack in money. The money supplied for public school is so little that many of their programs are cut, and their days are furloughed. I would rather have adults do programs not in a vocational school then have the children of the world supplied a underfunded school with their programs cut.

4. If vocational schools want to exist they should join with a public school as specialized classes.

5. "Education then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, the balance-wheel of the social machinery."
-Horace Mann
ksiegrist

Pro

I have evidence from Forbes.com that public schools are failing. School leaders and classroom teachers nationwide are departing for better working environments. In fact, some educators are gearing and moving towards teaching in charter schools, higher/performing paying public schools such as a vocational school. Just as in the business world, when organizational leaders, and the policies that they create, fail to provide a successful working environment, the employees depart. Yes students would be interested in vocational schools because as I stated in my argument, it does not cost anything to go into an vocational school. It would be like you were going to a public school, only you would be learning different trades. I agree that schools are made to teach, however, in this world nowadays, it's all about the money, so schools will do everything they can to make money. don't agree with what you said that vocational schools and public schools should join together, I just think it wouldn't work out so well.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin

[1] http://www.forbes.com...
loveu157

Con

You have not listened to my arguments during this round at all and have not countered anything i have said.

Vote con :).
Posted by ksiegrist 3 years ago
ksiegrist
Vocational School according to me is a trade school. Kind of like a secondary school teaching you skills for after you graduate high school. In my school we have shop classes. I take Graphic Design. There are other shops like Allied Health, CADD, Cosmetology, etc.
Posted by BaconLover 3 years ago
BaconLover
Can you define vocational schools according to you?