WackyBisexual
Nuevo

Should gay and lesbian sex be taught in Sex Ed?

WackyBisexual has forfeited round #4.

WackyBisexual

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening arguments
Round 3: Arguments and rebuttals.
Round 4: Finishing rebuttals and conclusions

I look forward to whoever I am debating, I hope we can both learn from this. Also I'm sorry, but please don't turn this is into an argument based on religion. What you are arguing should apply regardless of religion.
Nuevo

Con

I accept this debate. I hope to have an intellectual discussion!
WackyBisexual

Pro

There are many different reasons to allow gay and lesbian sex to be taught in Sex ed. By teaching this to kids who are homosexual or bisexual they will get a better understanding of sex. When these kids don't learn about sex that applies to them it can be unsafe. Like all kinds of sex if done incorrectly can injure your body. For example someone who has gay sex may not know to use lubricant and strech before anal sex, this can lead to complications with the rectum. While this is helpful to LGBT kids it also helps straight kids better understand how homosexual sex works, this gets rid of some myths about homosexual sex they may think. Last since it will be taught it will further normalize homosexuality so it is seen as less of a taboo and more accepted in society. These are my arguments for why it should be taught in school.
Nuevo

Con

I will be arguing the notion that lesbian/gay sex should rather not be taught in sex education, or at school as a whole.

Arguments:
I.) Sensitivity
We are all aware of the fact that Sex Education is imposed on an early high school curriculum, which obviously says that this type of subject is taught with high school students. At this age, adolescent's minds are sensitive to what they hear and learn. They do not have a firm grasp of what should be right and what should be otherwise, for this age utterly revolves on a period of experimental and transitional nature. Once the minds of teenagers are injected with such a sensitive issue that needs a more mature understanding, they would be perplexed on what their families proclaim to be the norm, and what school says what should be.

II.) Normalcy?
If lesbian/gay sex is taught as early as highschool or grade school, what would be the benefit of it? Awareness? And, what would be of awareness to teens if it wouldn't be talked about, lived up, and tried? This is the flaw with the resolution. Introducing such an issue would scramble the traditional way of thinking for most unenlightened, young minds in an experimental, troublesome, transitional period. If it is taught to be accepted in school, then it should also be deemed as equally true in reality. If the educational system is so openly enthusiastic with introducing such matters, then the generation that would be administered will find it normal. Boys would go for gay sex and girls will go for lesbian sex, and it'd be okay. And it would be fun for their curious minds, wouldn't it?

III.) Traditional Norms should be Unperturbed
What I strongly suggest is, the traditional sex should be taught first and foremost by parents, then the education system if you will. Moreover, when sex education is advanced, the natural, man-woman intercourse should be taught comprehensively. Lesbian/gay sex should later be known for growing teenagers and it would be up to them if they'd delve in the matter with curiosity and practice. It is not favorable for the collective's interest if schools start teaching kids how lesbians make love, and how gays make love.

I am not against the LGBT. But, the such a specialized matter should be dealt with in time's arrow. And certainly not by a school that could riskfully madden conservatives and confuse norms. Even the LGBT wouldn't mind if their kind of sex wouldn't be disclosed. They'd be more delighted to have such mystery in their hands, wouldn't they?
WackyBisexual

Pro

Rebuttal:
I.) Sensitivity
Sex education is taught to high schoolers to prepare themselves as adults. When you are a teenager your body starts to develop and maturing to a point where it is ready to have sex. It is better to teach them as they are getting to this point about the dangers and gravity of it so they don't make a critical mistake. Also (at least where I live) parents have the option of whether or not to let their child take Sex education, if they think the school won't teach the subject to their child correctly then they can just say no.

II.) Normalcy
If lesbian/gay sex is taught as early as high school or grade school, the benefit would be that kids would actually know it exists. This is not to make it more appealing than other kinds of sex, but to simply educate those it might apply to. Introducing this would make a gay kid realize (oh hey, that make sense now). When it come to gay/lesbian sex it is equally important if not more to be talked about since a lot of people don't realize things about it. Such as wearing a condom is not just for pregnancy, but for STDs as well. The fact of the matter is teens no matter what house they are raised in are probably going to have sex at this age we need to make sure that they don't make a huge mistake. I am not saying show them pornography or anything like that, but at least try to make sure their safe. Also what is the problem with it being considered normal in school and reality? They are not stopping the teaching of straight sex, but rather teaching gay/lesbian sex along side it.

I think that parents should teach their kids about sex, then they can also allow the school to teach it or just leave it to the school to teach them everything. While man-woman intercourse is more common that doesn't make lesbian/gay sex any less natural. It should be held to the same standards as straight sex. Schools need to teach this kind of sex because teaching a gay kid how to have safe heterosexual sex won't do anything to help him when he has sex.

Many things in life are trial and error, sometimes you have to experience it to learn. However, safe sex should not be this way. If it is possible to stop a child from getting STDs from just a simple lesson then I am all for it. Yes people will experiment, but it's not like that hasn't already happened before. This is not forcing people to learn about it, parents can easily say no if they choose, this is about making the option avaliable.
Nuevo

Con

Rebuttals:

I. Sensitivity Plus Health Sensitivity
Pro asserts that it would be perfectly fine to teach highschoolers heterosexual sex to avoid making critical mistakes. However, this is counterintuitive in itself. A massive mistake will be done if such young kids would be oriented with such matters. Once, the school openly teaches heterosexual intercourse, kids will start doing them. And my opponent is oblivious to the harms present in heterosexual sex, one would be anal sex.

Penetration can tear the tissue inside the anus, allowing bacteria and viruses to enter the bloodstream. This can result in the spread of sexually transmitted infections including HIV. Studies have suggested that anal exposure to HIV poses 30 times more risk for the receptive partner than vaginal exposure. [1]

But, Mr. Nuevo, there's lubricants to lessen the friction and the harm of a non-lubricant aided sex?

That's not the only thing to worry about though. The tissue inside the anus does not have this natural protection, which leaves it vulnerable to tearing and the spread of infection.[1]

But, there's condoms to help protect the actors of sex, wouldn't it help?

Another thing to keep in mind is, albeit it is enjoyable to have anal sex, the anus is not meant to be a place for intercourse. The anus was designed to hold in feces. The anus is surrounded with a ring-like muscle, called the anal sphincter, which tightens after we defecate. When the muscle is tight, anal penetration can be painful and difficult. Repetitive anal sex may lead to weakening of the anal sphincter, making it difficult to hold in feces until you can get to the toilet. [1]

But, Mr. Nuevo, they may try this type of sex and see for themselves if it is right for them or not; they could wish to shift to the normal kind of sex, because Pro says they could experiment after all, can they?

Well, they could. But, the anus is full of bacteria. Even if both partners do not have a sexually-transmitted infection or disease, bacteria normally in the anus can potentially infect the giving partner. Practicing vaginal sex after anal sex can also lead to vaginal and urinary tract infections.[1]

II. Normalcy
Pro states that the benefit of teaching heterosexual sex to kids is that they will simply know it exists. I don't treat it as much of a heavy benefit because kids would know about it in the future. So, why attach such so-called benefits of the teaching which prove to be frivolous after all? And, again, educating kids about this topic would simply go back to my above-contention.

As Pro said, teenagers would have sex and that is inevitable. With that, curiosity will guide the minds to act and blind it from its impaling drawbacks which Pro proudly proclaims as safe. Also, I am not telling its a bad thing to have it as a normal sex in theory, but its practice needs to be saved to a more mature age, certainly not adolescence.

III. Traditional Norms should be Unperturbed
Once you teach kids about sex, you wouldn't know what's on their mind. Undeniably, they won't take it as serious as other lessons because of how vulgar it seems to them. They may use their lessons as a form of excuse, because they'd tell their peers that it is fine to have sex since the school encourages its learning. And, the kids' sexual orientation would seem perplexing if it is theoretically meddled by the educational system. I strongly suggest that an early orientation on LGBT should be implemented first and foremost and to replace the heterosexual sex orientation. Subjects such as Personal Development or Values Education only teach man-woman sexuality and everything in its scope. It is arguably better to impose this value-driven type orientation in place with the heterosexual orientation, simply because it is far less sensitive and vulgar, and far more subtle and absorbing.

Conclusion:
Teaching kids such a topic wouldn't be reasonable to do so. Highschoolers, which inherently possess intermittent behaviour, experimental and transitional natures, and an unpredictable mindset, could be perplexed with their sexual orientation and would try to practice heterosexual sex, would not take the lesson seriously and utilize the lesson as an excuse for sex, and ultimately risk their bodies with deleterious infections.

Reference:
[1]www.webmd.com/sex/anal-sex-health-concerns
Posted by TheKay 9 months ago
TheKay
I think it absolutely should. The comment beneath me says that gay sex is only an issue that applies to a small fraction of people. I disagree. There are far more from the LGBT+ community around us than we imagine. In high school most LGBTs are closeted or even haven't come to terms with their sexuality. I myself only properly realised that I was bi at 18.
The problem is that sex ed is often given at the age of 13-14, so true, since it doesn't apply so much, people are perhaps less likely to pay attention. Personally I was taught things in sex ed which I totally forgot or didn't understand because I was nowhere near having sex.
Maybe we should have like an initiation to gay sex and then talk about it more in depth later in the curriculum, when they are older, but still mention it so that they are aware of its existence ?
Because it's true that I've never heard anything on gay or lesbian sex, and even know, it's a bit complicated. I've had to look most things on the Internet, and goodness knows how reliable that is !
Posted by Haka 9 months ago
Haka
Whereas heterosexuality is a common practice and gay/lesbian is not as common. Now if kids the age when they are taught this were gay/lesbian this would be okay. Unfortunately that is only a very tiny fraction of kids in schools. I remember in 5th grade when I learned about sex. So I don't want my kids to learn about gay/lesbian sex. First of sex is something a parent should teach the child not a teacher. Also we cross routes when we get to them.
Posted by mplo 9 months ago
mplo
I believe that gay and lesbian sex should be taught as part of a Sex Education curriculum, in order to make young people aware that heterosexuality is not the only type of sex/lifestyle. Awareness has never hurt anybody, and, in fact, would be beneficial, in promoting more tolerance and therefore more protection for gays and lesbians against assault and abuse.