em2000
joceyjoce1212

Should gay marriage be legalized in all fifty states?

em2000
Started: 1/30/2014 Category: News

em2000

Pro

Nobody chooses their sexual orientation, so why make their life harder? They just want the same thing that you want, to be happy. I believe that all people whether they are gay, or lesbian, or bisexual, they should all be able to marry whom ever they fall in love with.
joceyjoce1212

Con

First let me give some rebuttals.
The proposition side said that because no one chooses their sexual orientation, and we should let them be happy, we should let them marry. However, we are not denying their right to happiness but they should not be allowed to marry due to the fact that gay marriage has totally destroyed the meaning of marriage! Marriage is about the bonding of a man and a woman, but not two persons of the same sex. We believe that gays should not be allowed to marry. Now let me move on to my substantive.

When gay marriage is legalized, it will send a message to the public that same-sex marriage is normal and right. Children will then grow up with the notion that same-sex marriage is ethical. But it is not, ladies and gentlemen! We are teaching them that what is wrong is right. This is why this motion must and will fall. Thank you.

em2000

Pro

You are right, when gay marriage I legalized it will send a message to the public that same-sex marriage is normal and right. I also agree that when children grow up they will have the notion that same-sex marriage is ethical. But what I'm wondering is why is that a bad thing. The old testament says, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." - Leviticus 18:22, but if we were going by every thing that the old testament says then our penalty for theft would only be paying back double. "The amount depended on what was stolen. It was 5-1 for cattle, 4-1 for sheep, if the animals in question were killed." - Ex 22:1-9. Now a days if you steal you will be looking at major fines, and maybe jail time, depending on the situation. This is only one example of why the old testament might be a little out dated on some topics. So I say we should all just live and let live! Thank you.
joceyjoce1212

Con

First, I would like to rebut our opponents' flawed arguments.

The proposition team stated that we should not be listening to everything that the old testament said because some things are simply outdated. However we never even quoted the Old Testament as a source! So we have already won this argument.

They also said that they agreed with our points but they wondered why children thinking that same-sex marriage is ethical is bad. As I already explained in my rebuttal in the last round, gay marriage has violated the nature of marriage. We believe that children should not have the idea that what is wrong is right. But as they agreed with our points, does it mean that we have already won this debate?

In the 50 states in America, there are some which are very open minded. But some are extremely conservative. They openly reject these new and fresh ideas. So if gay marriage was legalised in all the states, certain states would retaliate against the government for it's legalising gay marriage. There would be many protests and rallies against it, and the state government would have to send the police to keep the protesters in check. Why kick up so much fuss when there is an easier solution: To only legalise gay marriage in certain states who want it? Then there would not be so much opposing voices to Mr. Obama's government, and people opposing him in these times is the last thing he needs. Thus, side opposition is proud to oppose. Thank you.
Posted by rightandwrong 3 years ago
rightandwrong
Who are you to say that gay marriage is wrong?
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
em2000joceyjoce1212Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I, frankly, cannot vote on this debate. Neither side gave me a substantive reason to support them. From Pro, I get this middling argument that we should live and let live, and give homosexuals the right to marry for happiness. I see nothing in the way of response to Con's argument that happiness and lacking the right to marry are not mutually exclusive. As that's the only offense from Pro, I can't vote Pro. Looking at Con, I can't vote here either. I get no analysis on why marriage will be destroyed, what its destruction means, and why I should care. I get absolutely nothing on the ethics of gay marriage beyond Con's saying that it's bad for children to grow up with a mindset that it's OK. No warrants, no analysis of why. In fact, the only substantive argument in the debate comes up in Con's last speech, and I can't vote for it because it's brand spanking new and Pro doesn't get a chance to respond. Conduct, grammar and sources were all equal.
Vote Placed by amik10 3 years ago
amik10
em2000joceyjoce1212Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con says "Children will then grow up with the notion that same-sex marriage is ethical. But it is not," This is the main main point of Con's argument. Pro proves that it is ethical and to consider it unethical would lead to worse scenarios if we only follow the bible. Also Con's argument is flawed because of the first amendment and the separation of church and state.