calguy85
dorky

Should gay marriage be legalized in the United States?

calguy85

Pro

In looking at the issue of gay marriage and whether or not it should be legalized in the United States, one must look no further than the Declaration of Independence, the document which is considered not only to be the founding document of the United States of America, but whose tenets are revered as sacred political guidelines. Abraham Lincoln invoked the Declaration of Independence in the Gettysburg address when he proclaimed that "All men are created equal," and it was on this very basis that slaves first saw liberation.

In just over two minutes, Lincoln invoked the principles of human equality espoused by the Declaration of Independence and called for true equality to all of its citizens. Sadly, this equality in terms of legal rights has still not been attained in America, because gays do not have the legal rights associated with marriage.

Lincoln called for a unified nation in which states' rights were no longer dominant, and he defined democracy in terms of government of the people, by the people, for the people. Gays should be married for the sole reason that NOT allowing it would be to subjugate them into a role of "the lesser," a person who does not have the same rights as the rest of us. This is unpatriotic and a blatant disregard for the principles of freedom and equality that America was founded on.
dorky

Con

your sick and wrong and a pervert... gay marriage is wrong against the bible and other places.. guys and girls date each other not guys and guys i mean what do you not get... if you like following rules so much like the declaration of independence then why don't you follow the rule of dating the opposite gender
calguy85

Pro

Dorky,

Is this a debate site or a site for you to air your personal prejudices? Either way, your inarticulate post was embarassing for you and not what I signed up for this site to do. I was hoping to be met with intelligent debate and instead was met with what seems like angsty adolescent ranting.

In any case, let me address your points. You say I am "sick and wrong and a pervert" for advocating gay rights but don't seem to substantiate this claim. By what standard am I any of those things, and also, what professional training or formal education do you possess which grants you the authority to offer such diagnoses?

Secondly, you say that gay marriage is wrong, against the bible and other places. What is wrong about gay marriage? Fortunately for the United States of America, we have the freedom to religion (which is granted to us in the First Amendment), thereby making it unconstitutional for any policy to ban the rights of others based on religion. So regardless of whether or not you believe the Bible includes gays in its definition of marriage, you must concede that there is a large population of American citizens who do not subscribe to this belief and follow other religions (or perhaps none at all). They are free to do so because of their constitutional rights. Just because you, as a Christian, believe that it is wrong, does not mean that the atheist down the street believes it to be wrong as well. And his views are just as valid as yours.

Further, I believe that the Bible and the core tenets of Christianity teach tolerance and love of fellow man, not intolerance and hatred. Common folk have taken the word of God and deluded it in order to subjugate people and control them. Religion as a social institution has been corrupted by people and used to control others for centuries. But, for the sake of argument, even if homosexuality were a sin, Jesus would still implore you to soften your heart and accept homosexuals despite their actions. From a Christian standpoint, it is not your place to pass judgment on others, but rather reserve it for God.

But, as I mentioned earlier, this issue should not be at all religious. It is about the law, and equal rights. Plain and simple: we MUST grant the same rights to gay people as we do heterosexual people. If straights are granted certain rights associated with marriage, these same rights MUST be extended towards gay rights. Not doing so only is a blatant violation of the equal rights and civil rights.

We should follow the RULES (yes, the rules, Dorky, and you're absolutely right, I love the rules) and seperate church and state, a concept whose origins are derived from the First Amendment. We cannot enact policy based on religious policy, plain and simple. It's unconstitutional to do so.
dorky

Con

Is this a debate site or a site for you to air your personal prejudices? personal? you think anybody else except you wants gay marriage to be legalized in the USA? no, what would you say if to men walked down the street with their arms linked? would you say 'Oh that's perfectly normal?'
calguy85

Pro

This is my waste of time. But I will finish by saying that if you truly do believe that marriage is a religious entity reserved solely for a man and a woman, then you should concede that the United States should recognize seperation of church and state as well as equal rights promised in the Declaration of Independence by CEASING TO PROVIDE MARRIAGES altogether. Alternately, they would offer civil unions to both heterosexual and homosexual couples, and if a couple wants a "marriage" they may receive on privately at a church as a purely symbolic gesture. But if marriage is a religious entity exclusively for a man and woman, then the government should not recognize it as legally valid.
dorky

Con

I'm sure a huge majority of people agree with me, I might not of put it into good words, but you don't want men to marry men do you?
Posted by Rob1Billion 7 years ago
Rob1Billion
no... it doesn't
Posted by Chob 8 years ago
Chob
I care about debate tactics. I guess that makes you wrong.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
you're just old-fashioned. No one cares about debate tactics, we're just going to throw crap at each other like monkeys in a cage and vote on it.
Posted by Chob 8 years ago
Chob
I can't believe people actually voted for Dorky. I thought we're supposed to vote on who did the better job, not if you agree or disagree with the person. All Dorky did was garble nonsense of his clear bigotries, while calguy85 states clear, logical arguments to support his position. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
Posted by Chob 8 years ago
Chob
Actually, Dorky, A large number of people I know disagree with you very much. But thanks for sharing your de-oxygenated ideas.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Dorky you should run for office you will do quite well. Just make sure to run as a Republican... Fox news will air you anytime man!
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
He got votes for that? I guess that proves that a lot of us just vote for popularity, not actual skill. It's funny how our government seems to work the same way most of the time...
Posted by anwermate 8 years ago
anwermate
hahahahaa, dorky your funny, i enjoy your views. your only arguments are prejudice biased idiotic drivel, and your backing is pretty much that gay marriage is gross and is agaisnt the bible. also i like how you concede every point made in every round.
Posted by rctvanchor08 8 years ago
rctvanchor08
And no, AIDS is NOT a gay disease.
Posted by rctvanchor08 8 years ago
rctvanchor08
Dorky is misinformed, and I feel sorry for him.

Yes, it is normal for two people of the same sex to link arms.
I have two moms and I can assure you that they have raised me in a fantastic way.

Marriage is about love and compassion for one another.

Dorky, you really upset me. It saddens me to think that the human race has come to this: people judging others based on love. Thats ridiculous!
Vote Placed by calguy85 8 years ago
calguy85
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by roastshow 8 years ago
roastshow
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by Sludge 8 years ago
Sludge
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by confines_of_gravity 8 years ago
confines_of_gravity
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by mv 8 years ago
mv
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by Chob 8 years ago
Chob
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by Alex_Edwards 8 years ago
Alex_Edwards
calguy85dorkyTied
Vote Placed by anwermate 8 years ago
anwermate
calguy85dorkyTied