Einstein-Rosen
ThatLezChick

Should gay marriage be legalized?

Einstein-Rosen

Pro

Gay marriage should be legalized for multiple reasons. First though, it would be beneficial to the argument to define marriage. Marriage is a union between two people that establishes a relationship between those becoming married, the family of the two people, and any children that might be raised by these people. Note also that married people with children receive tax credits. However, the government is not interested in giving money to people for being in love or establishing relationships. The goal of marriage, from the perspective of a secular government, is to raise stable adults that will pay taxes later in life. If the goal of marriage were to simply produce children, infertile couples would not be allowed to marry. The goal is in fact to raise children, which a same-sex couple is completely capable of doing.
ThatLezChick

Con

I'd like to start this off saying that I am gay myself and I agree with you I am doing this to strengthen my argument on the pro side.

By definition a marriage us a union between a man and a woman making your entire argument invalid. Though it is true sane sex couples are offered civil unions but that is not enough to satisfy them. Marriage is also done by the church and under the sight if god so if a church does not agree with a lifestyle then they have no right to serve them because of their right to deny service to anyone. Note that marriage is not a right but a privilege so same sex couples are not entitled to their right to marry. They want to marry but it us no ones obligation to give then their right to marriage.
Einstein-Rosen

Pro

By religious definition, a marriage is indeed between a man and a woman. You mention that people are married under the sight of god, and I'd like to ask which one. Zeus? Thor? Ganesha? (By the way, it's rather interesting that the Greeks had no issue with this- http://en.wikipedia.org...) If you're referring to the homophobic god of the Old Testament, then yes, I can see your point. However, the church is not the sole dictator of who marries whom. Today, if you choose, you may be married by a judge. This judge would be acting on behalf of the United States Government. Included as a fundamental rule of this nation, is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". As a result, we do not place the arbitrary beliefs of any religion into our laws, and could marry a same-sex couple far from the judgmental sight of god. By legal, not religious, definition, a marriage can be a union between a couple of the same sex. Now, the next part of your argument. Just as no one is obliged to allow straight couples to marry, no one is obliged to allow gay couples to marry. However, about 100,000 U.S. children await adoption yearly (http://www.acf.hhs.gov...). Most children would rather be placed into a loving family than continue to make their way through the adoption system. Even if you think gay marriage is wrong, I find it hard to believe that you think it would be better for children to have no parents as opposed to two parents of the same gender.
ThatLezChick

Con

I don't think gay marriage is wrong. As I stated before that i am gay myself I'm doing this for fun.

What would you think if I were to ask to marry my dog. You would think I am crazy right. How is gay marriage any different my dog loves me and I love it. It is not a man and a woman as was intended and can make a functioning society and it is just promoting perversion. A child needs a man and a woman to grow up correctly. If being gay is not a choice that that means there is a gay gene which could be passed down onto children and their children's children. The population would decline until poof, extiction. If homosexuals are not born this way and it is a choice then well we are not going to give rights to people who can change who they are. If being gay is not a choice and they are not born that way then that means it is caused by some sort of trauma or abruptions (totally made that word up) in their childhood. Then that means that being gay is in fact a mental illness and just like mentally retarded people, they can not be trusted to take care of children. Picture this. If a diabetic is denied rights to chocolate and proclaims discrmination should we give them the chocolate. (lol what did I just say there)

Boom I just went full Republican.
Einstein-Rosen

Pro

Einstein-Rosen forfeited this round.
ThatLezChick

Con

Because my opponent has forfeited this round I would like to state my closing statement. In the long run people are hurt when it comes to homosexual marriage. A child that has two dads is more likely to be bullied. The child wouldn't have a mother and if the child is a female it will be hard for the child when it comes to puberty or finding your feminity. This also applies to boys with two moms. Fact is a child needs a father and mother figure or they won't turn out right. I hope I persuaded you to vote for me. This has been an excellent debate.
Posted by logicinlife 1 year ago
logicinlife
You can have the civil benefits of marriage, but don't be upset that the religious don't want you to say it is God ordained. Seems reasonable to me, but we all know it isn't enough. Between the civil benefits and the ceremony, and your personal vows, that should be good.
Posted by Tpartykelly 1 year ago
Tpartykelly
This should be determined by state government, actually the people of the state's
Posted by roark555 1 year ago
roark555
The government should have no role in marriage whatsoever.
Posted by YaHey 1 year ago
YaHey
I agree that same sex marriage should be legalized, but I seriously disagree with your definition of marriage, and the purpose you think it has. It definitely isn't to raise children, as those who cannot have children, and those that simply do not wish to adopt or raise children, are still allowed to marry.
Posted by Joss_Whedon 1 year ago
Joss_Whedon
I agree with you.