oneperspective
DoobDood

Should gay marriage have a seperate term in society?

oneperspective

Pro

Should gay marriage be referred as something different? For example, marriage being for man + woman, but not for man + man or woman + woman. What if there was a separate name that we defined homosexual marriage as? I agree that marriage should just be for Man and Woman but I want to see other people's opinions on it.
DoobDood

Con

I would like to confirm that I am against having different terms for straight and homosexual marriage. I think that both of the mentioned types of marriages should be treated equally, but I am also eager to see your opinions on this topic.
oneperspective

Pro

Thanks for accepting the debate.

I'm for equality, but marriage is a sensitive topic. Since the dawn of time, marriage has always been a covenant for a man and woman, due to procreation and unity between the spouses. Calling gay marriage 'marriage' isn't a correct term really at all, it should be renamed something else.

Take this for example. A monarchy has been ruled for centuries, with customs and rights. When a new monarchy moves closer to this one, it takes the customs and rights, and names it something slightly different to it's neighbor. It's not really the same at all, just small touches made.

What I'm trying to say is, marriage has always been for man and woman, and if a new type of wedlock is introduced, it's not the same. It violates the natural order.
DoobDood

Con

I think you are getting the wrong idea about marriage. Procreation was never a significant part of marriage, as it has been around long before our customs have been here. A wedding, which is the celebration of a marriage, shows the togetherness and feeling of two people in love with each other as they bring their lives together. It is true that marriage is a ritual or custom that went through few changes, but is not the celebration of a man and woman together, but rather the celebration of true love and loyalty.

While the ceremony's vows do use the bride and groom as the two entities taking part in the marriage, it does not change the overall goal of the ceremony. In short, the priest ensures the couple's mutual consent, honesty, loyalty, and most of all, love. Nowhere in the ceremony does it explicitly advocate any reproduction among the couple; that is completely up to them.
(Source: http://www.gettingmarried.ie...)

So if two men or women have these deep feelings for each other, how does that make them any different from a straight couple, other than the fact that they cannot have children? In each case, the couple is sharing mutual consent, devotion, honesty, loyalty, and love.

You also bring up natural order at the end of your argument, but that argument does not make any sense because homosexuality is seen throughout the entire animal kingdom. An extreme example is seen in Laysan Albatross, where lesbian couples can be seen spending their lives together and raising youngsters. Similar behavior can also be seen in many other species, so how does it really go against natural order?
(Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com...)

As a conclusion, I would like to imagine yourself as a blind man with bad hearing. You request two married couples to describe their relationship via text and have an assistant read them to you. While listening, you notice that both one couple seems to be a little distant and arguing a lot, whereas the other couple is enjoying their twentieth anniversary with their child. Can you tell if one couple is homosexual or not? You may say the the first is homosexual due to their lack of children, but do keep in mind that adoption is an option. As you can see, it is impossible to differentiate the two couples.

In short, a homosexual couples and straight couples are fundamentally the same; both have two people that are equally devoted, content, honest, and loyal to each other while giving their partner pure and undivided love, and that is why they all deserve to bear the status of marriage.
oneperspective

Pro

oneperspective forfeited this round.
DoobDood

Con

DoobDood forfeited this round.