mari400
Sky_ace25

Should gay people be allowed in the military?

mari400

Pro

I believe gay people have every right to go to war. Just because they're gay doesn't make them any less American then any other troops in the army. If they were born in America it gives them every right to fight for their country. Gay people may like to act like women but their are many women in the army....just because they act and look different doesn't mean they can't fight for our country. In the outcomes many say that a straight troop wouldn't risk their life for a gay troop...well their risking their life for many gay people in America, but if your truly a proud American gay,lesbian, bisexual, straight or whatever you would truly risk your life for any person of any orrientation.
Sky_ace25

Con

*If a gay person is offended by this argument, I apologize in advance*

I agree with my opponent, gay people have every right to go to war. However, that doesn't mean they have a right to be in the military. My opponent needs to get over her neoliberalism, gay people are forbidden from being in the army not because they are discriminated or because they should not be able to fight for their country (and fellow gay man/woman/shoe); they're forbidden because they are a distraction from times of war. War is not lovely rainbows across the sky and people hugging each other while men go make out in the showers and women go do that hot stuff I've seen in videos, war is a situation where any wrong mistake can lead to disaster (imagine a Call of Duty game where your allies suck). A unit can't be worried about peeping Tom in the corner.

Furthermore, People are distracted and can feel uncomfortable around gay people, a military is composed of people all over the country not just the liberal progressive sections. In the military soldiers wind themselves sleeping in close quarters and when anything can happen at any given time, a commander cant be wasting his time worrying about who dropped the soap or who is having wet dreams. Basically, gay people are a distraction, and before you try to say they aren't, we wouldn't be in this debate if gayness was 100% openly accepted.
mari400

Pro

mari400 forfeited this round.
Sky_ace25

Con

Extend all arguments.
mari400

Pro

mari400 forfeited this round.
Sky_ace25

Con

I believe then I have won by forfeit.
Posted by Sky_ace25 6 years ago
Sky_ace25
Dude you should make this same debate and we should debate! But yeah it was fun =], you have good ideas =P.
Posted by AlexV 6 years ago
AlexV
The 'third sex' you assume I'm speaking of is the female population of the host country the soldiers serve in.

"
-Errr....Your argument was that it was rude to insist that people enlisted for sexual reasons."

Correct, but my statement concerns the possibility, not the morality or correctness.

What you find hard to believe is in my view incorrect in nature. Just as hetero soldiers are expected to control themselves round females, homosexual soldiers should be afforded the same confidence around members of their own sex. I did not intend this argument of my posts at you but rather towards posters in this section by the way.

Concerning the national acceptance of homosexuality, I do not believe the treatment of a sect of citizens by the law should be left to referendum of public opinion. Don't have to go much further than the cliche question (Would blacks be given freedom if that issue was put up to a vote in the 1860's, or in the 1960's?) to justify that. Besides, I believe the recent Pentagon questionnaires to soldiers reveals the general consensus from the military towards gays.

Anyway I didn't comment here to replace the Pro or hijack the debate so I'll leave by saying it's been fun having a mini-debate and wish you all good health.
Posted by Sky_ace25 6 years ago
Sky_ace25
Ermm...Could you please tell me the third sex people may encounter that is neither male nor female?

"that does not disqualify the possibility of enlisting for sexual reasons,"
-Errr....Your argument was that it was rude to insist that people enlisted for sexual reasons.

"it does not defend the absurdity of claiming a group of soldiers of a common sexual preference enlist purely for sexual prospects while serving."
-Again, I am not trying to claim that the military is some place to sign up for a thrilling sexual experience, but if a homosexual is surrounded by a bunch of (generally in shape) men in close quarters, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be in the least turned on. But the main problem which is why we have Don't Ask Don't Tell is that homosexuality is not nationally accepted, and they're still many people who feel uncomfortable around them.
Posted by AlexV 6 years ago
AlexV
Sky, female soldiers are not the only members of that sex which service men encounter while enlisted. While it is true that the sexes are divided, to a degree, in our armed services, that does not disqualify the possibility of enlisting for sexual reasons, and assessing the situation, it does not defend the absurdity of claiming a group of soldiers of a common sexual preference enlist purely for sexual prospects while serving.

Yes I know, lots of commas. :)
Posted by Sky_ace25 6 years ago
Sky_ace25
Furthermore, sexuality aside, there are people these days who just feel uncomfortable around homosexual and insofar that the army recruits from all over a country, these people have to be taken into consideration.
Posted by Sky_ace25 6 years ago
Sky_ace25
Alex, your logic is a bit flawed, because in the army groups are generally separated based on sex. If you have a group of guys together it is less likely the heterosexuals will have sexual desires than a homosexual who might find himself/herself sexually aroused. Your logic would hold true if armies mixed the two sexes together i.e. guy soldiers finding themselves sleeping with women in the quarters.
Posted by AlexV 6 years ago
AlexV
I myself am not homosexual, yet I am upset at the disrespect displayed from Con and comments on this debate. Homosexuals do not join the military to flaunt their sexuality or take a vacation. To believe so would also concede heterosexuals sign up for our armed services for the prospects of sexual contact, which I see no one is ready to do. The argument is that service men and women should not be forced to hide an aspect of their beings to serve their country. To offer an inverse example, following this logic, heterosexuals should be disallowed from speaking openly about their wives/girlfriends at home, their sexual exploits, dreams, etc. as it broadcasts their heterosexuality.

I am hoping this debate turns out to be a good one.
Posted by ALVARADO 6 years ago
ALVARADO
If you were to look now at the make up of the military, my guess is that of that population which are gay (by this I'm assuming gay = homosexual, not gay= homosexual man) 90% of them are lesbians. I don't see a whole lot of "screaming homosexuals" looking to enter the military.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Brian, please take the debate
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
"Gay people may like to act like women but their are many women in the army"

Lol, convincing.
Vote Placed by Sky_ace25 6 years ago
Sky_ace25
mari400Sky_ace25Tied