124275
randomcupcake

Should genetic engineering be used

124275
Started: 2/19/2015 Category: Technology

124275

Con

Gm technology shouldn't be used because it's unethical.
randomcupcake

Pro

Genetic engineering should be used because it prevent disabilities. Approximately four million children are born each year with a serious genetic disorder. That is six percent of children born each year. This could all be prevented though through gene engineering, no parents would have to suffer with having to constantly support their child throughout life or know that the chances of their child living a normal life are extremely rare. It is unethical to let a family struggle with a child knowing that their is a way to make sure that the child is able to live a healthy and normal life. Although messing with a someone's genes can be seen as playing god, it is popular for people to selective breed animals such as cows and pigs to be able to get more meat out of them. Know that every time you order a burger from any fast food chain that was cow who's genes were engineered to perfection, so that they could produce more burgers and less cows would have to die. Know that children will die because their genes are messed up. Know that there's way for every child to have the possibility to live a healthy and normal life. Know that genetic engineering saves life. Genetic engineering is not unethical, it's a way of allowing families to not worry about their children and live easier lives.
124275

Con

Genetic engineering is wrong because Ithink means artificialy changing geans in organisms. Most Christians, like me belive that we were put on earth to maintain the planet. I do not think that gm is playing god although that could be an argument against it. However I do belive in evolution and I think that that it's wrong to change something 3.8 billion years old just for more burgers. Also gm plants can reproduce with other species of plants so over a period of a few years an entire ecosystem can beconomic generally modified and the same can happen with animals. For example, round up ready crops, which were genetically modified to survive the herbicide round up, spread their genetically modified gears to the other plants that round up was suppose to kill. This caused the weeds to become ammune to round up so more and more round up was needed. This caused all other creatures in the soil to die which rendered the soil us less for growing crops in. I know that it is awful for children and their respective if they have a serious genetic problem but I still don't like the idea of gm people But there are other ways of helping these people in their lives. If you cure a genetic disorder by genetic engineering then why not improve the human race with genetic engineering? If scientists wanted to genetically engenear people they would produce superior humons. If this were to ever happen it would be terrible for society but I is possible even with today's technology. Most gm crops on average really produce the same as non gm crops and tests have been done to show that in rats gm can produce can see in the rat. Gm crops are most commonly used in the USA this is because large companies lobby the government to endorse gm. They do this to improvepublic opinion. The large gm companies make billions of dollars. To see for yourself look up net profit of Monsanto
randomcupcake

Pro

randomcupcake forfeited this round.
124275

Con

In my first argument I exausted most of my knowledge of genetic engineering so I will just say that I would much rather live in a world that people with genetic diseases were helped to have a better quality of life instead of being changed so parts of them would never exist but be replaced with someone elses dna which would make them a mix of two or three different people. Also I would prefer to live in a world where food was destributed equally instead of being concentrated in the west.
randomcupcake

Pro

randomcupcake forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
124275randomcupcakeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit