L3gndofLords13
atjacobmajor

Should girls be allowed to join girl scouts

L3gndofLords13 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 10/12/2017 Category: News
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

L3gndofLords13

Con

There is, in fact, a reason why boy scouts has the name boy scouts. In what way do girls see the word GIRL in BOY scouts. Boy scouts is meant for BOYS. Listen to me girls, DONT JOIN BOYSCOUTS... JOIN! GIRL SCOUTS AND FIX IT!!!! If girl scouts is boring then FIX IT dont ruin boyscouts.
atjacobmajor

Pro

Accepted. You also appeared to have mad an argument for me, so thanks! "There is, in fact, a reason why boy scouts has the name boy scouts. In what way do girls see the word GIRL in BOY scouts. Boy scouts is meant for BOYS. Listen to me girls, DONT JOIN BOYSCOUTS... JOIN! GIRL SCOUTS AND FIX IT!!!! If girl scouts is boring then FIX IT dont ruin boyscouts." I have nothing against girls joining Boy Scouts, however I do firmly believe that Girls have the right to join Girl Scouts, because there is no reason not too. I am not opposing boys joining, I am just saying Girl Scouts is geared toward Girls, and because of this to even suggest the idea of not allowing them to join an organization MADE FOR THEM is preposterous.
Posted by Currahee150 1 month ago
Currahee150
I believe the creator of the debate(Con) miswrote the title.
Posted by levi_smiles 1 month ago
levi_smiles
BSA operates under a US Federal Charter. On what grounds can an organization empowered by the Fed Govt exclude whole categories of people?

Women have been allowed to be BSA Venturers since 1998, yesterday's rule change allows girls to join cub scouts. Notice that girls won't be called Boy Scouts but gender neutral cub scouts, Eagle Scouts etc.

Ultimately, it's about membership. The Girl Scouts are thriving while the Boy Scouts has declined dramatically after rape/coverup scandals. BSA tendency to promote conservative values out of step with mainstream values (gay ban being one prominent example) has also contributed to their decline). BSA wants girls to increase enrollment but perhaps simply modernizing would achieve the same result