miss_socrates_jr
Cooldudebro

Should girls be allowed to play on male sports/teams?

Cooldudebro
Started: 2/26/2016 Category: Sports

miss_socrates_jr

Pro

Saying girls can"t play "boy sports" is like saying you can"t eat French fries unless you"re in France. First of all, the entire scenario that French fries originated in France is a complete misinterpretation that is not true. Second of all, SAYS WHO? Americans are just as qualified to eat any food that appeals to them as the next person, whether it be American or not. I believe that this is the same with gender-segregated sports; girls should be able to play sports on the same team as males.

It is a common stereotype that girls are the "weaker" gender. While it is true that SOME girls have a milder personality than SOME boys, girls have just as much potential as boys to be successful athletes. Thus, girls" athletic ability is often considered weak due to the rationalization that their personalities are weak. This is like comparing apples to oranges; don"t judge an entire gender"s skill based on a few personalities.

"Impure thoughts," a common euphemism gender segregation, some supporters use to say how men might be pondering about a girl"s shape rather than focusing on playing the game. If this were to happen, it would be offensive to the girl and distracting to the boy" but it doesn"t. Realistically, when you are playing a game with the opposite gender, you are thinking about one thing- the game. Also, three quarters of women feel as if playing sports boosts their self-image rather than worsens it. In the long run, it"s only what happens in the game, not what happens in between.

Some claim that girls have "their own" sports so boys should too, but this isn"t the case. There are no sports in particular where boys are frowned upon for participating in, much less not allowed to complete in. In fact, girls have 1.3 million less high school sports opportunities than boys. Sure, there are sports that are mainly female-dominated,but that doesn"t prevent males from joining. Sports such as dance are mainly made up of girls, which makes boys feel obligated to avoid it due to a fear that it wouldn't be socially unacceptable. This is where the stereotype that boys aren't allowed into sports with more females than males grows, although none of it is true. This often produces biased opinions when girls try out for a "male" sport; people think that if boys aren't allowed to do "girl" sports, girls shouldn't be allowed to do "boy" sports. This idea too is made up by false ideas contrived by the public.
Just as I wouldn"t want someone stopping me from eating French fries, I wouldn"t want somebody telling me I can"t join a mainly-male team for the sake of society"s stereotypes. I, as well as the rest of my gender, believe that we should have equal athletic opportunities to join gender neutral teams as boys.
Cooldudebro

Con

Ahaha! Another feminist I see. Well let's go, aka-chan!

Let me start with this:

"Strength and muscle characteristics were examined in biceps brachii and vastus lateralis of eight men and eight women. Measurements included motor unit number, size and activation and voluntary strength of the elbow flexors and knee extensors. Fiber areas and type were determined from needle biopsies and muscle areas by computerized tomographical scanning. The women were approximately 52% and 66% as strong as the men in the upper and lower body respectively. The men were also stronger relative to lean body mass. A significant correlation was found between strength and muscle cross-sectional area (CSA; P < or = 0.05). The women had 45, 41, 30 and 25% smaller muscle CSAs for the biceps brachii, total elbow flexors, vastus lateralis and total knee extensors respectively. The men had significantly larger type I fiber areas (4597 vs 3483 microns2) and mean fiber areas (6632 vs 3963 microns2) than the women in biceps brachii and significantly larger type II fiber areas (7700 vs 4040 microns2) and mean fiber areas (7070 vs 4290 microns2) in vastus lateralis. No significant gender difference was found in the strength to CSA ratio for elbow flexion or knee extension, in biceps fiber number (180,620 in men vs 156,872 in women), muscle area to fiber area ratio in the vastus lateralis 451,468 vs 465,007) or any motor unit characteristics. Data suggest that the greater strength of the men was due primarily to larger fibers. The greater gender difference in upper body strength can probably be attributed to the fact that women tend to have a lower proportion of their lean tissue distributed in the upper body."
(1)

"Men are 50 percent stronger than women in brute strength.
Female lung capacity is about 30 percent less than in males."
(2)

This shows there are physical differences between men and women. Men are, on average, stronger than women.

"Females appear to sustain concussions at higher rates than men, with women playing basketball, lacrosse, and soccer at highest risk. They often have more severe signs and symptoms, and recover less quickly than men.
Women also experience shoulder injuries more often than men. Compared with men, they have less upper body strength, weaker rotator cuff and periscapular muscles, and looser supporting tissues. This creates shoulder instability. Sports that use the shoulder muscles extensively (eg, swimming, softball, volleyball) increase the risk of rotator cuff injury, tightness, and pain. Shoulder injuries are more likely to recur than other injuries"
(3)

This shows women are more likely to get injured compared to males. Let's put this together.

Weaker + Higher Risk For Injury= Separate League

It's the wisest thing to do. Put women into a separate league like the NBA did to women. That away, they can still play and be competitive. It won't be one-sided.

Rebuttals:
"Saying girls can"t play "boy sports" is like saying you can"t eat French fries unless you"re in France. First of all, the entire scenario that French fries originated in France is a complete misinterpretation that is not true. Second of all, SAYS WHO? Americans are just as qualified to eat any food that appeals to them as the next person, whether it be American or not. I believe that this is the same with gender-segregated sports; girls should be able to play sports on the same team as males."

No. It's like saying: "Hey, girl! Would you rather play with guys which would mean you get the s#$@ knocked out of your body every time you get hit. You'll do worse than your male counterparts and you'll be injured more!" OR "Hey, girl! You wanna play on a women's only league? You'll be more competitive and be injured less compared to a man and woman team!" Why do you think the Olympic events are separated by genders? Women, on average, are weaker.

"It is a common stereotype that girls are the "weaker" gender. While it is true that SOME girls have a milder personality than SOME boys, girls have just as much potential as boys to be successful athletes. Thus, girls" athletic ability is often considered weak due to the rationalization that their personalities are weak. This is like comparing apples to oranges; don"t judge an entire gender"s skill based on a few personalities."

I think I covered this already. No need to beat a dead horse.

"Impure thoughts," a common euphemism gender segregation, some supporters use to say how men might be pondering about a girl"s shape rather than focusing on playing the game. If this were to happen, it would be offensive to the girl and distracting to the boy" but it doesn"t. Realistically, when you are playing a game with the opposite gender, you are thinking about one thing- the game. Also, three quarters of women feel as if playing sports boosts their self-image rather than worsens it. In the long run, it"s only what happens in the game, not what happens in between."

Well, that's your opinion. Some guys may purposely try to get more physical with girls to feel their body parts. I wouldn't, but I know some perverts who would. If playing sports boosts a woman's self confidence, women's only leagues can be formed so they can actually be competitive. I don't see a source backing up your claim.

"Some claim that girls have "their own" sports so boys should too, but this isn"t the case. There are no sports in particular where boys are frowned upon for participating in, much less not allowed to complete in. In fact, girls have 1.3 million less high school sports opportunities than boys. Sure, there are sports that are mainly female-dominated,but that doesn"t prevent males from joining. Sports such as dance are mainly made up of girls, which makes boys feel obligated to avoid it due to a fear that it wouldn't be socially unacceptable. This is where the stereotype that boys aren't allowed into sports with more females than males grows, although none of it is true. This often produces biased opinions when girls try out for a "male" sport; people think that if boys aren't allowed to do "girl" sports, girls shouldn't be allowed to do "boy" sports. This idea too is made up by false ideas contrived by the public.
Just as I wouldn"t want someone stopping me from eating French fries, I wouldn"t want somebody telling me I can"t join a mainly-male team for the sake of society"s stereotypes. I, as well as the rest of my gender, believe that we should have equal athletic opportunities to join gender neutral teams as boys."

So, it should be socially acceptable for a woman to join a sport with males dominated by males, there's no problem. But if a male wants to join a sport that is female dominated and join a team with females on it, there's a problem? I haven't heard you argue for guys to join sports that are mostly female dominated. If we want to talk about oppurtunities that aren't equal, let's talk about how females are more likely to get into college just to fill a quota. Also, the " girls have 1.3 million less high school sports opportunities than boys." doesn't really pertain to the topic. If they want that, start female only leagues. It's not a stereotype for women not to be put into leagues with men. It's for their own good. That away, they can actually be competitive and excel.

In conclusion:
Women are, on average, weaker than men.
Women are, on average, more likely to be injured.
Separated gender teams let both sexes complete competitively. Mixed gender teams will be unfair to women.

Since my opponent is Pro, she has the burden of proof to prove all of the topic. Good luck! Oyasuminasai!

Here are two awesome anime openings for your enjoyment. :)

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

Corpse Party : The Anime OP
Corpse Party: Blood Drive OP

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
2. http://drjamesdobson.org...
3. http://www.pharmacytimes.com...
miss_socrates_jr

Pro

miss_socrates_jr forfeited this round.
Cooldudebro

Con

This feminist has has stopped with her social justice issues.
I would like to thank her for invigorating my thought process.
Because she has forfeited, it is a seven point drop in favor of me.
Thank you for your time.

Anime Songs
Steins;Gate Ending: https://www.youtube.com...
Devil Part Timer Opening: https://www.youtube.com...
miss_socrates_jr

Pro

miss_socrates_jr forfeited this round.
miss_socrates_jr

Pro

miss_socrates_jr forfeited this round.
miss_socrates_jr

Pro

miss_socrates_jr forfeited this round.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Rosalie// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (Conduct, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: I ran Pro's argument through a plagiarism checker, and their whole argument was plagiarized, so conduct to Con. Con was the only one who came up with an original argument. Con merely showed facts as to why women shouldn?t play on the same team with men, she showed how they were not physically capable, and the bad impact it would have.

[*Reason for removal*] While plagiarism can be sufficient reason to award points like this, there are limits in the degree to which voters are allowed to seek out plagiarism in a debate, and this appears to move beyond those limits. Even if this is true, the voter should at the very least present the link proving that plagiarism occurred, which did not happen here.
************************************************************************
Posted by Cooldudebro 1 year ago
Cooldudebro
Great to see you're active on this site. Please post your argument ASAP. Thanks :)
Posted by miss_socrates_jr 1 year ago
miss_socrates_jr
Ceaser_6.0, I mean any sport that is primarily composed of boys.
Posted by miss_socrates_jr 1 year ago
miss_socrates_jr
dtien400, In this particular argument I am supporting gender integration in non-professional sports. I believe that working with a variety of people and learning what it is like to work in a team that you may not initially feel comfortable with is an indispensable tool we will use every day, and should be taught at and early age. I do agree with you; it probably would have been ideal for me to have said this in my argument, and I thank you for your critique. :)
Posted by dtien400 1 year ago
dtien400
miss_socrates_jr, are you proposing males and females play together professionally (as in the NFL, NHL, MSL, NBA, etc) or non-professionally (college sports, high school/middle school athletics)?

And are you talking about contact or non-contact sports?

I think these points would be interesting for both you and your opponent to bring up.

From,
(Just a casual bystander who likes reading a good debate)
Posted by Ceaser_6.0 1 year ago
Ceaser_6.0
Do you mean boys sports like football or boys sports like boys volleyball.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
miss_socrates_jrCooldudebroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture