Should government regulate school lunches

It's the parents job to monitor and teach their kids on health not the government.

I believe governments should provide some sort of regulation for school lunches. Regulation does not have to mean that the government micro-manages what we have to eat. It could simply mean setting restrictions on caloric value or creating standards for food quality.

The government does that kind of regulation all the time. Certain items that are sold to the American public must pass safety standards before they are allowed on the market. The government sets up laws to restrict false advertising to protect the American consumer.

Again, I'm not calling for micro-management, just guidelines really. Some simple, common sense regulations that leave schools freedom to pick things out, but balance out that freedom with restrictions on choices that would be flat-out bad to give to kids.

My opponent opens with a statement on the idea that it is the job of the parents to monitor this, not the government's. While that is a noble sentiment to express, I think we should all realize that for lower class families, a school lunch is much more cost effective than buying extra food to pack into a lunch. This option is especially attractive versus packing a lunch because many kids of lower income families receive free or reduced lunches. Additionally, some parents may simply not care about their kids enough to monitor their nutrition. I realize the government can't be your parent all the time (and probably nor should it try to be), but in a situation like this, when the government is perfectly able, we should allow it.

That's all I've got, until my opponent responds. Also, to my opponent, welcome to DDO, I hope you stick around.

PrincessYeet forfeited this round.

Well it looks like my job is done, at least for the moment.

And here's a shameless plug for my YouTube channel:

PrincessYeet forfeited this round.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
If I respond tonight it'll be in about an hour to an hour and a half.
Vote Placed by Intrepid 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff