agha.haider21
Wirbelfeld

Should governments create a DNA database of all citizens?

Wirbelfeld

agha.haider21

Con

I do not think that the government should have a DNA Database. It is a violation of the 4th amendment right as an American. The U.S.Constitution’s 4th amendment states "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants Shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." this is used as a reason to not have a database because a database doesn’t keep the stated privacy.
Wirbelfeld

Pro

Before we begin the second round, I must ask of the format of the debate. Will you set any ground rules or any sort of format for each round?

As you have posted a summary of your thoughts I will begin with an overview of my argument.

Overall, a DNA database would assist in solving crimes and allow for a safer society. In response to your thoughts on invasion of privacy, a simple DNA sample may reveal some biological traits but would not be of use to authorities and would not be released to any other individuals or private companies. One's privacy is not violated by a simple DNA test. Furthermore, there exists already a fingerprint database for convicted individuals and military personnel. If this is considered ethical, why is it unethical to have a database of the entire nation in DNA which is considered more accurate than fingerprints? There have been cases including false matches with fingerprints, but it has been proven that DNA is easily distinguishable excluding twins. Furthermore, a large database with such information would eliminate discriminatory practices against minority groups such as African Americans since there are many innocent minority groups unjustly placed in databases such as CODIS and AFIS. In short, a nation-wide DNA database would not violate any privacy rights and instead would enhance our right to live in a society free of crime.
agha.haider21

Con

Yeah, there are some basic rules. No cursing, trolling, etc. Do not ever use caps.
That's pretty much it.

I do not think that the government should have a national DNA database because it could get hacked and something this simple could cause a big commotion and could get out of hand.
Wirbelfeld

Pro

One question, are we discussing the legality of the issue or the ethics behind doing so or a combination of both or neither? I will discuss both to be safe.

Also, it would be nice if you responded to the arguments that I make otherwise I will assume that you have no rebuttal to them.
Since my contender only brings up one point and no rebuttals, I will simply respond to the argument given. The government has always been entrusted with tons of secret data. Nuclear launch codes and all other military secrets are given to the government to keep safe and rarely has any of it been hacked or stolen. Although sometimes military secrets may be stolen, there is a huge incentive by foreign governments to steal information from their enemy especially regarding their military. In contrast, a DNA database has no incentive to be hacked. No one ever hacks the Federal Election Committee simply because there is no one who gains from doing so and thus no incentive to do so.

Please elaborate on your claim that there would be "a big commotion" and "could get out of hand".
agha.haider21

Con

agha.haider21 forfeited this round.
Wirbelfeld

Pro

It appears the instigator has forfeited this round perhaps due to the holidays or perhaps other business. I will give him another chance to respond to the arguments presented.
agha.haider21

Con

agha.haider21 forfeited this round.
Wirbelfeld

Pro

One more chance to post your rebuttal or develop any further arguements.
agha.haider21

Con

agha.haider21 forfeited this round.
Wirbelfeld

Pro

Wirbelfeld forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
agha.haider21WirbelfeldTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 3 rounds, pro forfeited 1 round. Nets out to conduct point for Pro.