16deckerh
MikeTheGOd

Should grades in non academic classes ( art, theater ) be included in a student's GPA?

16deckerh

Con

I believe that non-academic classes should not be included into a student's GPA. For one reason, it is unfair. While many teachers grade by effort, another many grades by skill. This is wrong, but it happens. If a student is a poor artist, then how can they receive a good grade in a class? It's impossible. Please respond with appropriate answers as soon as possible.
MikeTheGOd

Pro

I wasn't planning on debating this however an argument presented in the comments and some ideas that popped up as I read this persuaded me.

Response arguments I will present in more detail later.

1. If these classes do not count towards a students GPA there will be no incentives for any individual to take these classes. An example can be a degree, if a degree doesn't result in job opportunities then people will not go for that degree regardless of how fun it is. Another example is the NBA the only reason those guys play basketball for an occupation is because of the reward. Most people will not just play basketball for life but if they are offered an reward they will. The reason liberal arts degrees despite the lower pay are popular is because people can at least enjoy what they are doing with a reward. An art class that doesn't count towards your GPA is no reward.

2. If a class doesn't affect GPA at all kids will not go into the course or parents will not let them since the course doesn't do anything to a GPA. This is bad because many extra courses like Debate or Art or computer programming etc. are courses that are really helpful in helping students discover what they wanted to do. Without a debate team I wouldn't have a set degree to pursue, thanks to debate I can go into collage when I graduate knowing I want to be a lawyer. Thanks to debate I know to major/minor in political science and philosophy.

3. Grading system can be set up based off someone's ability to complete an assignment. IN fact debate is purely based off that and participation, we have some debaters that I guess you could say "suck" but they still have an A in the course for participating and complementing task or going to tournaments. This same grading system can be implemented into theater or art.

In other words quantity over quality when it comes to grading would matter. THe number of assignments turned in would matter rather then the quality of a task or assignment. In other words "I don't care if you make 20 ugly shoes or 20 good shoes, I just want you to make 20 shoes in 6 months." Sure of course some quality must be considered in anything however it will not be English grammar like quality in papers.

4. These classes actully help to boost any GPA since they are easy or can help a student come up from the so called freshmen slump. These courses help alot in collage as well (they are required in collage but still).

16deckerh

Con

16deckerh forfeited this round.
MikeTheGOd

Pro

Not suprised by the ff. There is no reason to remove this curriculum from gpa aside from maybe art since no one values the arts anymore. Debate is very applicable since politics and government will always play a big role in society. Also jobs in the political field will always be open as well. Same thing with law thus it helps with a future job. Also critical thinking is useful in any occupation but yeah vote me for conduct
16deckerh

Con

16deckerh forfeited this round.
MikeTheGOd

Pro

yeah vote me for conduct
16deckerh

Con

16deckerh forfeited this round.
16deckerh

Con

16deckerh forfeited this round.
MikeTheGOd

Pro

yeeeaaaaaa
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
why is this 5 rounds btw? You can't debate this really for that long.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
V I know some people go for digress with little to no job prospects. I think everyone is aware of that. If that wasn't the case liberal arts degrees and music degrees and philosophy degrees and etc. wouldn't continue to be an option if 0 people bothered to use them.

Also there are some people of course who major in something just to major in something because it's easy and that supports my argument since most of those people drop out or don't make good money in the future.

I get what you mean though.
Posted by samdeman22 1 year ago
samdeman22
to comment on point 1 of round 1: people DO take degrees with little to no job prospects, I have heard people say they want to take a degree just so that they can spend another 4 years doing little to nothing, be it they take an easy course.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
Yeah I sucked at art and had lower grades because of it rip. Still managed a B but yeah mostly a B because of my lack of artistic ability. Kind of agree with this however I more so agree with the statement below this one.
Posted by 10au192 1 year ago
10au192
I feel that this can be solved by grading on one's ability to complete an assignment. its true that some arts are based on skill, and there is not right way or wrong way to do art. if you are taking a general art class, its should be based on one's ability to complete the assignment while teaching the concepts and history behind an certain era.