tinapina
Victoria_Wintour

Should graffiti to be considered as art

Started: 10/18/2012 Category: Arts

tinapina

Pro

I think that graffiti should be call art. This is how the artist express themselves to the world.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

First of all I would like to thank Tinapina for opening this debate. I think this is an interesting topic and something that I look forward to debating with her. I wish you good luck in the debate and may the best debate win!

I would first like to ask Tinapina a question If someone spray painted your car with rude messaging and images would you wish to keep that on your car as a work of art? No is probably your answer! This is not art it is vandalism to your property. While I believe that in a artistic setting Urban arts like Graffiti can be appealing the majority of graffiti takes place on the street (by definition it actually has to take place on the street to be considered 'real' graffiti' and is done not on the criminals own property. Our possessions should allow us to express ourselves and the spraying of someone else's art over them actually is taking away a law abiding citizens right at expression. So in theory while graffiting may allow someone else to express themselves it takes away the owners right to express themselves even if they were to keep the objects plain.

Another factor is that the NYPD posted a statistic in 2011 that over 60% of graffiti found in the city was of gang origin. Graffiti is used as a way to tag a gangs territory and so they do not do it for expression but they do it to mark there gangs hold on a specific area.

I hope you consider these 2 points in our next round I look forward to reading your argument and responses.
tinapina

Pro

tinapina forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.
tinapina

Pro

tinapina forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.
tinapina

Pro

tinapina forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.