lawyer1056
Merda

Should gum be allowed in school.

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

lawyer1056

Con

I don't think gum chewing should be allowed in schools because a lot of people smack and make lots of noise.The disposal of gum isnt good either.I go to school and there is gum under tables,chairs, and on the ground.Chewing gum can also cause a lot of dental problems like TMG [a jaw disoder] annd dental decay.If you look on gum packets there is a lot of surgar thats what causes dental decay.
Merda

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I wish him the best of luck as this is his first debate. Before I begin on my case though I would like to define the terms that we will be using in this debate so that confusion could be kept to a minimum. I know that most of these definitions are common sense but I don't want any semantical tricks in this debate, by me or by my opponent.

Definitions

Allowed: to give permission to or for; permit[1]

School: an institution where instruction is given, especially to persons under college age[2]

Gum: a sweetened and flavored insoluble plastic material used for chewing[3]

Burden of proof

The burden will be on the instigator of this debate, since he did not mention that this debate would be any different from the usual "instigator has burden" format mostly found on this site. The responsibility of Con will thus be to bring a cogent argument(s) for why chewing gum should not be allowed in school. My burden will be to refute any and all of my opponent's arguments.

Arguments

A1: I don't think gum chewing should be allowed in schools because a lot of people smack and make lots of noise.

To refute this argument, I will refer my opponent to other things that may cause noise but have not been have never been brought up to be banned from school.

Paper

Crumpling up paper can be very loud[4](Skip over to the 55 second mark if you don't want to here her ramble on meaninglessly). But if paper can be used for loud purposes, why is it still allowed in school? The simply answer is that crumpling up a piece of paper is using it in a manner that it was not intended for. The same goes with chewing gum. The proper way to chew is with your mouth closed, thus not disturbing anyone around you.

Books

Books can be very loud in many different ways. Throwing it on the ground, hitting someone with it, slamming it on the desk.. I could go on and on. But again, the reason books are not banned from classrooms is because if one uses them properly, they do not produce much noise.

A way to offset this problem would be for teachers to ask children who chew gum too loudly to stop, and in the event that they do not, punish them accordingly.

A2: The disposal of gum isnt good either.

To refute this argument, I will refer my opponent to my last point. Disposing of gum br throwing it on the floor or sticking it under a desk is not the correct way of disposing it and so it is not the fact that it is a piece of gum that is causing it to end up on the floor. It is kids choosing to dispose of it improperly. A cause of this could be that children are afraid of getting caught chewing gum and thus they choose to hide it under a desk or spit it out when no one is looking. Just walking up and spitting it out into the trash can is a sure way to let a teacher know you've been chewing gum. So this problem may have been brought on specifically by the rule put in place to stop it.

A3: Chewing gum can also cause a lot of dental problems

Chewing gum in not too large doses and brushing one's teeth regulary can offset most of the dental problems caused by chewing gum. Again, this problem is brought on by children not chewing gum properly(chewing too much). Even so, a child can simply chew a lot of gum outside of school and develop dental problems while still abiding by the school rules. Banning gum from school will not erradicate the problem. It will simply allow it to develop somewhere else.

I have refuted all three of my opponent's arguments. His argument that chewing gum can be loud can simply be deterred by punishments to children who chew gum loudly and refuse to stop. As to his second argument, the problem could have been brought on directly because of the rule that was put in place to stop it. And as for his third argument, it is no business of the school if a child develops dental problems, and even if it was, banning gum would not erradicate the problem but allow it to appear somewhere else(at home, anywhere outside of school). In conclusion, my opponent has not upheld his burden of proof and so I urge a Pro vote.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...;
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com...;
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[4]
lawyer1056

Con

Yes well the passing of gum is a distraction from the teacher and other kids which can lower grades, lot of kids in my class pass gum and its very distracting, Gum can also cause TMJ [jaw joint disorder] says medicinenet.com.i know that its not the teachers problem if a student has TMJ but if I were a teacher I would try to avoid getting sued by guardians of the kids. Gum can also cause headaches says aspartamefreegum.com.By getting a headache you cant really focus on the teacher so it will lower grades. Also a lot of kids want fresh breath but there are a lot of other ways to have fresh breath like brushing your teeth before school. The aspartame in gum has the total amount of 7000 caused symptoms says aspartamefreegum.com.these are the reasons why I think we should not have gum in school. I would also like to say that my opponent did very well.
Merda

Pro

It seems as though my opponent has conceded all of his arguments, save A3. I will deal with his new arguments and then proceed with my refutation of A3.

A4: the passing of gum is a distraction from the teacher and other kids which can lower grades

Passing gum? Again, I refer my opponent to my refutations of his A1 and A2 but with a slightly different twist. Passing gum in school is not something that is done only with gum. If someone's cold someone might want to pass them their jacket. Ban jackets! Someone's pencil falls on the ground and he asks someone to pick it up for them. Ban pencils! The mentality that because something could be used as a distraction is reason to ban it is fallacious. Anything can be used as a distraction in some way[1]. The possibility to be used as a distraction is not grounds for it being banned.

A5: Gum can cause headaches

My opponent brings another point, arguing that it can cause headaches and thus cause children to get lower grades. The ingredient in gum which causes headaches and other negative symptoms is actually aspartame. A very quick Google search showed that one is able to buy gum that does not contain the ingredient. If the resolution was "Only aspartame-free gum should be allowed in school" my opponent would have a point. However, since there is gum on the market without the ingredient[2] my opponent's argument falls short in negating the resolution.

A6: There are better ways to get fresh breathe.

This is more of an add on to my opponent's A5. He argued that because there are other ways to attain fresh breathe, getting the side effects associated with apartasme are not worth it. However I will again refer my opponent to my source [2] to show that there are types of gum without the ingredient.

Continuation of A3

My opponent continues this argument by writing specifically: "i know that its not the teachers problem if a student has TMJ but if I were a teacher I would try to avoid getting sued by guardians of the kids." He very interestingly turns this into a liability issue. But his argument runs into a problem. If a child develops TMJ from chewing gum, it is more of a liability issue for the manufacturers of the gum and not the school. If a child brings a peanut butter sandwich contaminated with salmonella, the school is not at risk for being sued in that it did not provide the contaminated sandwich. Likewise, the school is not held liable for food that a child brings from home.

[1]Pencils-- Trying to balance it on your nose.
Paper-- Building paper airplanes
Books-- Drawing innapropriate pictures
Hair-- Braiding it, brushing it, twirling it, playing with it....
Desks-- Drawing innapropriate pictures
Should all of these items be banned because they have the possibility of being used distractingly?
[2] http://www.zappgum.com...
lawyer1056

Con

a:5 Yes well not every kid would look at each packet of gum just to find the right one and most children gum has aspartame in it.
Yes everything can be used as a distraction but gum is a big distraction.
I've never seen kids do any of those examples in my class and instead of not allowing those examples they should not be able to do distracting stuff with what ever it is. But everything about gum is very distracting.
Merda

Pro

Continuation of A4

My opponent concedes that almost anything could be used as a distraction, but gum is just too big of a distraction. His only evidence of this is that "everything about gum is very distracting." So far the things he claims are distracting about gum is that it can be chewed loudly and that children are distracted by passing gum around. I will refer readers to examples I provided of other classroom materials being used in the exact same way(drawing on desks, playing with hair, passing notes). My opponent did not show any reasons why gum is an exception from any other classroom materials.

Continuation of A5

Even if not every child cares enough to look at what is in their gum, my opponent's point does not sufficiently negate the resolution. The resolution my opponent is arguing is that gum should not be allowed in school. His point would only hold weight if he was arguing for only allowing gum without aspartame. A rule can simply be put in place that only allows apartasme-free gum. It would be the same as a rule saying that drinks are allowed, except for alcohol. If anything other than alcohol is allowed, a resolution arguing that drinks should not be allowed falls apart.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
A3 and A6 have been dropped. Before this debate goes into the voting period, I will wish my opponent the best of luck. He definitely did argue well for this being his first debate.
Posted by lawyer1056 5 years ago
lawyer1056
This was a good debate my opponet was very good.This was my first debate and it was very fun.
Vote Placed by Raymond123 3 years ago
Raymond123
lawyer1056MerdaTied
Reasons for voting decision: ...
Vote Placed by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
lawyer1056MerdaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I agree with con that gum shouldn't be allowed in school, pro provided the more convincing argument, for his side.
Vote Placed by bradshaw93 5 years ago
bradshaw93
lawyer1056MerdaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources because Con's source actually disproved his argument about gum giving people headaches
Vote Placed by liljohnny818 5 years ago
liljohnny818
lawyer1056MerdaTied
Reasons for voting decision: As much as it pains me to vote Con, I'm going to. I thought Pro was a much better debater stylistically, but the whole "gum is misused" point lost it for Pro. He says that paper could be banned because it can be misused to. Although annoying gum chewing isn't its main purpose, the fact that it is being misused is a distraction in the classroom: thus, its purpose is meaningless if it is a distraction. Spelling and grammar clearly to Pro.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
lawyer1056MerdaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice job on Tim having an engaging first debate which is likely to get Con to continue to participate, clear win on arguments to Pro, but points to effort to Con.