maddy_lion
Quadrunner

Should hats be allowed in school?

Started: 3/7/2016 Category: Fashion

maddy_lion

Pro

I definitely think that hats should be allowed in school. They aren't disrespectful, they're only another piece of clothing. Some people may argue that they have gangs where they live, but a hat that represents the gang wont keep the gang from forming.. These gang members are just going to start wearing jackets, shirts, pants, etc. to resemble their group.

Some people might also argue that hats are a disrespectful thing to wear in school, well I would like to ask why. In my opinion, watches are more disrespectful. Kids are always looking at them to see when they get out of the class! Yes, it's a traditional trait that has been passed down from generation to generation, but who's to say we can't change that? For example, using the guillotine for executions was more traditional in the 1800's, but we have gradually changed that.

In closing, hats are just another piece of clothing that students should be allowed to wear.
Quadrunner

Con

I accept this debate. It looks like a good challenge. As the instigator I believe you have the final say, but I'd like to argue only that hats not be allowed in school if there is a reason. Manners without reason are insincere and in a sense unmannerly. I'll start the debate since you don't really have a context to argue in yet.

In my area, along with taking your coat off, it is considered to imply that you wish to stay when you take off your hat which, though stylish, is an outdoor oriented clothing item. You can then understand why its customary to take it off in the the presence of a lady as well for some people. I consider it to be different then wearing a watch, because you never know when you'll need a watch, but a hat is totally unneeded if you don't intend on going outside. To wear your hat inside, is to imply that you don't plan to stay inside and might not wish to stay inside. To wear your watch inside is to imply that you like knowing what time it is. I would consider checking your watch while I'm lecturing quite rude however, implying the same thing as the hat your wearing...You'd rather be somewhere else. I feel out of place eating while I wear a hat because I feel it implies I'm only with my present company for the meal, planning to leave soon after. Simply replace the meal with class, which is graciously provided to us by our teacher, and you can start to see how it might be perceived as rude, especially towards older generations, and families with hard outdoor labor in their blood, like ranchers.

I know I said that its rude to wear your hat and explained why that's so, but if you understand the gesture, taking off your hat in respect is just a nice thing to see. It feels good to the other person, and that's why you do it, not because its rude not to. If you don't care then its still acceptable to wear your hat. No one really reads into that much at least not this day in age. In a school though, you should really care, have respect for your teachers, and show respect when possible. They work an honorable profession for your benefit, and I think its a nice tradition.
maddy_lion

Pro

Yes, hats aren't allowed in school, and in order to defend that rule, most teachers and even my opponent say that they're disrespectful. They may imply that you are planning on going somewhere, but in this day and age, most people don't see a hat and think, "Wow that's rude. He/she doesn't want to be here."

I would also like to point out that people with cancer like to wear hats so that people don't see their bald heads. Would making a cancer patient take their hat off really be justified?

Hats can also have certain benefits in school. Some kids who wear hats feel more confident, meaning their body posture and productivity can increase. They also trap the heat in your head, making your body warmer, meaning you are less likely to get sick if there is a cold going around.

Yes, it is a rule in most schools that you can't wear hats because it's disrespectful, but is there any real reason not to change that rule? The only reason we consider wearing hats in school is because generations before us did. But each generation is different from the next, so who's to say we can't change the "no hats" rule.

Also, I live in a colder area, but hats aren't allowed in my school. That rule really frustrates me because I really like to wear beanies. Some of my teachers let me wear my hat however, because they don't see it as a sign of disrespect. Only two out of my nine teachers don't let me wear my hat in their class, so the majority of my teachers don't see hats as a sign of disrespect.
Quadrunner

Con

Well, again I'd like to stress that the rude aspect isn't the main reason you take your hat off. Its a show of respect, to do so because when you take it off, it implies that you wish to stay. People rarely read into you leaving your hat on, but it feels good when you take it off. In a school setting, its percieved as rude, because of the context

A) You know the rules: No hats in school

B) Your teachers deserve respect

Now the rule isn't based on rudeness. Its based on being polite. You know, manners. Most places in your life will not have these terms, and it won't be rude to leave your hat on, most places in your life. Though you are being rude in defying your teachers, that shouldn't be what we take out of this. They were teaching you something that was previosly beyond your perspective that will help you be a polite and well excepted member of our society. That's their job you know. They teach. You learn. You might have never heard of the pythagorian theorem when you first go to school but you sure do when you leave it. You might not have known an ounce of history, or how to inform yourself before voting, but you should after highschool. Why should manners of of our society be any different? The teacher's entire livelyhood is based on improving your life by teaching you the knowledge you'll need in the future to go any direction you please.

Now, speaking of future, who do you think is going to be running things when you graduate and try to find a job, your generation? NO WAY. Your teacher's generation, and the generation before will. Its your teacher's job to give you an edge to make it in their world. You've got to earn your way up in this world and that takes time. Your teachers have got more perspective then you and for you to say your generation should be running things your way already just doesn't make sense. You're still in school for crying out loud. You don't know everything, and you shouldn't act like it. Once you go through high school, earn a college degree, get a steady job, gain perspective, keep your job, and get some weight to your words....That's when you get to start influencing the rules. If you still feel the same way then as you do now, then you don't have to continue the tradition. Simple as that, but until then you best just keep learning. You don't have to cave in to older people, but you should respect them and and assume they have knowledge of life that you couldn't have possibly gained yet. In other words, follow their rules while your in their classroom. It doesn't matter if you agree with them. They earned it. You didn't. There's nothing wrong with questioning them respectfully though. They don't know everything either.

As for the benifits, I can relate. I had a baseball cap when I was in school and I still wear it out of habit. Wore it in class all the time, because I can't tell when I put it on. It makes me feel good, and it does make me feel confident. That doesn't trump a teachers domain though. If they asked me to take it off I obeyed. I might have cussed a little, because I like my hat, but they had the right and I knew it. It won't trump your boss's domain. It doesn't trump your parents domain. You go into someone's house, and they ask you to take your hat off, then you do it. Its just not a thing important enough to fight over and that's something you should learn. Now if you're at a bar, that's another story, because its neutral territory, but if you're in a place someone has rule over, its just their rules. Not every teacher made me take my hat off, so I got to wear it part of the day. If they don't care, and you don't care then why not? But, if they have a rule just follow it. I'm sure you'll have rules people think are stupid too haha. When you've earned it you'll get to make them none the less though.

As for cancer kids, that just seems wrong haha. I think cancer trumps the hat rule. I don't know how I could tell a guy who might not live much longer how to live their life anyway, and if they're obviosly trying to cover something up, then that is outside the scope of the reasoning for the rule which was made because you no longer have to cover your head. If there's an open window letting cold air in or something that's understandable as well. You actually have an excuse beyond superficiality, or doing it because you can. Its your body and you know what it needs, not the teacher. This goes back to what I was saying at the beginning. Your manners have to have reasons, or their not sincere and in a sense unmannerly. Their reason shouldn't be "its rude". It should be, "that's how we behave in a polite society. Here is why" Making someone cold and uncomfortable doesn't strike me as being very polite. That doesn't mean the rule shouldn't be there. It just means it needs to be refined or a little loose. I know some people just follow the rules because their rules, and that's not right. There's still nothing wrong with having the rule though. What's wrong with being polite?
maddy_lion

Pro

maddy_lion forfeited this round.
maddy_lion

Pro

maddy_lion forfeited this round.
Quadrunner

Con

That's all folks.
Posted by Quadrunner 8 months ago
Quadrunner
Wow what a great comment. Maybe we should use that for his round 3 haha. I don't know how it worked back then and to be honest I don't really care all that much. I do like to think we should still treat ladies like ladies though. I mean equal rights and all, but they are the fairer of the sexes. Always liked playing old school in that aspect. What I was planning on placing next in round three was how if manners aren't taught and explained, they become what we have here in this debate, just archaic rules. Manners need to be preserved, defined, and understood from one generation to the next to fulfill their originally intended goals through the changing times, and the generations. They are ultimately just a result of the way we think a proper society should run, and its kind of sad seeing the idealism and romance in some of them fade away because the meaning was never taught, just the tradition. That's what happens when you take things for granted I guess.

Again, I don't think I stressed enough in the debate that its a polite rule. Its not supposed to be rude to not take your hat off, so much as its rude for a child/minor not to listen to their teacher. I mean its just a hat. People would have to have a stick up their @$$ to care about their manners that heavily and read into some guy that isn't taking his hat off. You know how kids need to learn them though, and sometimes before they understand. I don't know, it doesn't really matter all that much. Mostly just an interesting topic for me to debate.
Posted by Quadrunner 8 months ago
Quadrunner

Again, I don't think I stressed enough in the debate that its a polite rule. Its not supposed to be rude to take your hat off, so much as its rude for a child/minor not to listen to their teacher. I mean its just a hat. People would have to have a stick up their @$$ to care about their manners that heavily and read into some guy that isn't taking his hat off. You know how kids need to learn them though, and sometimes before they understand. I don't know, it doesn't really matter all that much. Mostly just an interesting topic for me to debate.
Posted by StilettoStomper 8 months ago
StilettoStomper
I love hats!!!! Whenever I have an early class and/or don't have time to really do my hair, I love to throw on a cute hat that matches my outfit! Hats can be a fun way to accessorize, just like jewelry and scarves. I don't think wearing a hat implies that you are not going to stay- I think standing up, lingering by the door with your coat on does! But I also honestly think that it might depend on where you're from. In some parts they may think differently of wearing hats indoors. It all depends on the people around you I guess... I never had a problem! Some people probably also think that the "it's rude to not take your hat off" mindset is old fashioned, but I've seen so many old movies where the women keep their hats on. I believe it was only the men who were expected to take off their hats as a form of respect. But that was the time- today, no matter your who you are, there are so many ways we can express ourselves, and hats are one of those ways! And if somebody is more comfortable leaving their hat on, the only thing that would be rude is if someone were to try to make them take it off.