TheDaftHatter
Slime_Destroyer

Should high school/college atheletes recieve passing grades just because they are on a sports team?

TheDaftHatter

Con

Seriously this is a real thing. Should teachers feel compelled to give an athlete a passing grade for the course/class because said student is on the team or so much as the star of the team? Let's say said athlete could not complete the course or pass the class on his/her own should the teacher pass him/her along anyway? No I don't think so just because the sports team is going to the playoffs I don't think Johnny should pass his english class just because he is the star on the football team. Lets say the high school teacher gave an assignment for the whole class a 5 paged paper on a book they were supposed to read. (Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol for example?) Johnny only passes in a half page saying he had football practice and didn't read the book but he thought the cover looked nice. With the team going to the playoffs next week this paper would mean whether he can play in the game or not. If Mr. Brown doesn't give Johnny a passing grade he will be ostracized by his co-workers and by his other students. This isn't fair so why should this be happening?
Slime_Destroyer

Pro

Ok, I get what you're saying however I feel like Student athletes should get it slightly easier. I mean I'm apart of the Football team so I understand the debate fully. I feel like we should get it....not easier but easier if you get what I'm saying. We have practice sometimes until its dark. We get home smelly sore and exhausted, where as people that don't have that get the full day to complete an assignment. I personally have gotten home as late as ~8:50 and I can tell you I didn't do anything but eat and sleep that night. No homework no studding, nothing. If I didn't have waste 5 hours procrastinating then realize I'm tired and go to sleep. No I got home ate what my mom made for me, ate, sat down on the couch and closed my eyes. I didn't wake up until my alarm clock went off in the morning.

Don't get me wrong I feel like we should do work. I just feel like we shouldn't be expected to spend 3 hours doing homework, 2 hours studying like regular students. We usually have 1-2 hours of practice not counting any 0 periods we may have. We shouldn't be expected to be just like Bob who goes home every day at 3:00 just like everyone else has lunch does their homework and has nothing else to do.
TheDaftHatter

Con

I appreciate you getting back so quick and the fact you mentioned you actually are on a sports team.

In a recent article I read a few weeks ago:

But then there is the case of the University of North Carolina, which committed their sins so unapologetically and in the open that denial was never going to be an option. The house of cards came down in January, when an ESPN investigation revealed that the school had been engaging in a systematic grading scam to help their athletes. In the report, sources alleged that athletes would cluster in departments and classes that were known to be easy A"s. It also suggested that some students were so uneducated that they were functionally illiterate, and yet still getting straight As at the university.

The scam worked like this: Athletes who needed to keep their grades up, would be clued into certain classes called "paper classes" that were listed as "independent studies" on the course book. They had no attendance, no tests, and students got credit for writing papers that always got either A"s or B"s. The content of the papers were immaterial. You print something out to turn in, you get an A.

(^ This is where my example came from it took me a minute to find the article)

But I would also like to point out if athletes should have it easier why not the students in clubs? Surely they are also apart of the academic curriculum. And as the previous president of the Anime club at my old high school shouldn't I have gotten it easier since I had a club of 10+ people to plan for?

Also why should the teacher be ostracized and hated if he fails an athlete because he passed in a paper much like the one in the article? I like to keep my arguments based on real facts but King of The Hill does a damn good job of pointing out real life struggles. There was an episode (I can't recall the name also not sure if you have seen the show if you haven't just roll with this please.) where one of the star football players at the school, where Peggy Hill was teaching, he wasn't doing so hot in school all the teachers were presenting the same problem we are debating about they would just mark off A's on the paper and not give a care in the world. This keeps going on until one brave substitute teacher, Peggy, gives him a failing grade on I believe it was a math test or work sheet. She then becomes hated by everyone at the school and by all her co-workers. Her husband, Hank, works out a deal with the school to get his grades up by the time for the big football game with some extra credit and takes him to work with him. Since Hank works at Strickland Propane he teaches him all about propane and grill/propane safety. The he says to write a one page paper about what he learned and from what I remember the paper says something like 'I had a great time with Mr. Hill today he taught me all about propane so I can't get blowed up.' I mean eventually there was a happy ending (to a point) but still the episode highlighted a very big point.

I understand your point though saying how you would like to have it not easy like preschool but easier than other students in class. But this same thing of easier classes is automatically applied to pregnant students. From my graduating class there were only about 3 pregnant girls from my knowledge But the problem was for them they got crazy extensions on assignments and could pass in work whenever they 'could'. (From what I saw it was more like wanted.) I watched one of the pregnant girls in my actual class pass in a worksheet we worked on three months ago and it still look like she did it the morning before school. So if because these girls were pregnant they could get extensions on assignments why should being an athlete make it so you could get it easy on assignments?

Source:
http://iacknowledge.net...
Slime_Destroyer

Pro

Slime_Destroyer forfeited this round.
TheDaftHatter

Con

I can see my opponent had forfeited this argument for the last round.
Slime_Destroyer

Pro

Slime_Destroyer forfeited this round.
TheDaftHatter

Con

TheDaftHatter forfeited this round.
Slime_Destroyer

Pro

Slime_Destroyer forfeited this round.
Posted by TheDaftHatter 3 years ago
TheDaftHatter
thank you man!
Posted by harrytlevine 3 years ago
harrytlevine
I understand Slime_Destroyer's point that many athletes have less time to complete their assignments due to their sports. However, these athletes chose to do these sports in the first place, and they should have known beforehand how time-consuming playing those sports really is. Don't get me wrong, sport's are a great thing that teach student's leadership and how to be a team member, but academics come first.