Sonny2
jh10

Should high school football be banned?

Started: 3/28/2015 Category: Sports

Sonny2

Pro

Tackle football is dangerous and is causing permanent brain damage in kids. These kids are unaware of the permanent effects of concussions and sub concussive hits to the brain. If kids want to pursue a college or pro football career they can wait until they are 18.
jh10

Con

If this is true, then why would we have football a t all? Why would we have sports? For example, in soccer you could get kicked in the head or worse. One of the main points of playing sports is to have fun. You honestly can't have fun if you don't take a risk. I remember, i took many risks when i was a child and i ended up having many adventures filled with fun.
Sonny2

Pro

There is new evidence and research showing that the damage done to youths playing football is ever increasing. Kids are bigger, stronger and faster these days. Collisions more violent. A child's brain is still developing and is 3x more susceptible to permanent neurological damage than adults. Often times, these kids aren't aware of the long term consequences of head trauma. This is not an indictment against all team sports.......only youth tackle football. Soccer can be played minus the headers (these also cause head trauma and need to be banned). Lastly, the liability of repeated head trauma leading to permanent brain damage will soon manifest itself in huge lawsuits against the public education system. Football needs to be banned much like boxing and hockey was back in the 60's and 70's.
jh10

Con

jh10 forfeited this round.
Sonny2

Pro

Sonny2 forfeited this round.
jh10

Con

jh10 forfeited this round.
Posted by Darkdrow 1 year ago
Darkdrow
Have you been around many kids? They all have brain damage. It's called being a kid. The rate we are going the United States is going to be one big kindergarten. Why does a small group of people think they can decide what's safe or not for an entire nation? You think it's dangerous then don't play and don't let your kids but that has nothing to do with my family or anyone else's? You live in a country that gives you the freedom to do and say whatever you want and you want to use that freedom to take away mine? Just like you have the right to say it, I have the right to ignore it and decide for myself. The other flaw in that idea is the fact that ANYTHING can be dangerous if not done properly. More kids have been hurt or died in the bathtub than on a football field. Should we ban taking baths? Kids choke on tooth brushes and toothpaste. Let's ban that too. How many people die in car wrecks? Should we just walk everywhere? That would cause blisters and other foot problems so we can't do that either. Maybe I should use my right of freedom to decide what's safe for me and my kids and you use yours to decide for your family. That's one reason why so many kids these days are 400 lbs. they have someone always telling them "don't do that, it's not safe. Have another cupcake fatty."