Should homeschooling be allowed in every state?

First round is acceptance Only good luck and thanks to whoever takes this debate

I accept this debate. Good luck to you as well.

Hello! I am here to prove to you that home schooling should be allowed in every state. Many people from public school criticizes home schooling stating that a lot of home schoolers are are bellow the public standards. I am here to prove this is false.

Case 1: the benefits of home schooling

In this link, it lists all the benefits of home schooling as well as her sorry home schooling. I quote from the article,

"Why does home schooling get rave reviews?
Individualized, directed learning and flexible pacing
Home schooling brings families closer together
Learning can take place anywhere, anytime
Freedom to explore individual interests and tailored areas of study
Shared learning experiences among siblings on educational field trips and learning adventures
The opportunity to nurture and provide individual attention to your child
Ability to impart family values throughout the learning process
Intimate involvement, knowledge, and guidance regarding your child""s education"

These are some of the benefits from home schooling! Home schooling also benefits people in college

As shown in this link, homeschoolers graduated 9.2% with higher grades than their peers who went to public school.

If my opponent wishes to try to prove me wrong he may do so next round.

Now, I can't prove wrong the benefits that you have stated, but I can show the negative effects homeschooling can have on someone.

My opponent argued that homeschooling can be done anywhere and can bring families closer together.
While this is true, the homeschooled students are not exposed to the social settings that public schools provide. I have a friend that was homeschooled for majority of her life, and you could tell that she lacked in social skills. [1] shows that not only do homeschoolers lack social skills that public schoolers maintain, but the lack of separation of parent/child create a dependency on the parent from the child. With no separation, the child will become more dependent on the parents, just like with my friend. Now, I am not saying this is always the case, but it is very common.

My opponent also argued that "homeschoolers graduated 9.2% with higher grades."
Now, this quote grammatically does not make sense to me. I actually have no idea what they mean by this quote, so to refute this, all I can say is that, there are less homeschooled people in college than there are public schooled people. [2] shows that approximately 1.77million people are homeschooled, whereas in 2011, there were 49.5million people that were public schooled [3]. Now, to say that a 100% of homeschoolers go to college and only 10% of public schoolers do (hypothetically), there is still an unfair ratio, allowing more variance and faults in the 4.95million homeschoolers and the 1.77million homeschoolers. You see, when it coms to percentages, you have to carefully examine how many people are counted in each side. And in this, it is definitely biased in the homeschooling favor because if they have 500k with good scores, that makes a higher percent than if 500k public schoolers had good scores.

First, I would like to thank my opponent for taking this debate! I would also like to inform him that 2 out of 3 of his links are invalid because my computer could not bring them up. The education360 and are unable to be brought up at least on my computer. The other link made me perplexed. I could not see how this could help his case. It is just statistics of the numbers of homeschoolers.

Rebuttal 1:

You failed to account that there are many home school groups made so homeschoolers can get interaction.

This link shows a group in Florida that allows homeschoolers to have grads, dances, and even high school graduation!

Your next argument was about homeschoolers creating a dependency on their parents. These two links prove otherwise.

These two links do not only presents the benefits from home schooling, but also say that homeschoolers are normally the most ready for college compared to children who went to public school. Wouldn't it be the opposite if homeschoolers had a dependency on their parents?

Rebuttal 2:

My opponent did not even understand my statement, so therefore I do not think he should have made a rebuttal. Here is what I meant. If you would take a home schooled child, and compared their test scores to a child who went to public school, on average, the home schooled child's test scores would be 9.2% higher than the public school child. This states that the average homeschooler has better test scores than the average public schooled child.

I have negated my opponent's previous arguments from last round. If the opponent wishes to prove me wrong, he can do so this round.

Here are the sources:
There was a colon that interefered and broke the link, sorry.

My opponent argued that homeschoolers are not dependent on their parent/s and get to have social interactions with other homeschoolers.
I cannot deny that the homeschoolers get to have interaction with other people, but when we talk about social interaction, we are talking more on a larger scale. When someone attends public school, they may see new faces everyday, or they may be exposed to the same people in a lot of their classes. These interactions are every day, weekends and holidays excluded. Whereas, a homeschooler may have a fewe field trips a month or even a week, but majority of the time they stay in their home surroundings with their family. When you say they aren't dependent on their parents, please explain why not rather than making everyone read an article. They are around their parents not only after school but during school, creating a stronger bond and dependency on the parent than you would find with public schoolers. Also, there was a statistic on the site about graduation rates, so please read my next rebuttal.

My opponent stated that I should not have refuted their argument and clarifies the argument they made earlier.
Even though I did not understand your argument, I refuted it, so to clarify it did not refute my argument. My argument was based on the populations on both homeschoolers and public schoolers. This is crucial when it comes to percentages and statistics. So, let me make it easier for you. Say you have 20 apples and 30 oranges. Now say 10 of each went bad. That would mean that HALF of the apples are still good and ONE THIRD of the oranges are still good. You see, I brought up population because there are more than TEN TIMES the amount of public schoolers than homeschoolers. This leads to more variance and skew in the publicschooling data, so the homeschooling data would have to get less people score higher to have a higher average than that of the publicschoolers.

Rebuttal 1: This is kinda superficial. Homeschoolers meet new people when they join their group. With your previous statement "They see new faces everyday." That can be done at a supermarket! Homeschooler field trips is driving to somewhere educational (Not a theme park) and explaining and doing a lesson on how everything there works. Homeschooler field trips happen more than you think. See this video about 7 lies about homeschoolers.

It says that socialization is actually common in homeschoolers. If you liked that video, there is a part 2

Rebuttal 2:

My opponent clearly did not get my previous statement. Lets just say you pick 20 random kids who go to public school and 20 random kids who are home schooled, and compare their grades. The home schooled group on average would have test scores 9.2% higher than the kids that are public schooled.

I have negated the con's previous statements. If he wishes to prove me wrong, he may do so this round.

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited the debate. Thank you for reading! I extend my arguments. Vote Pro!

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 2 years ago
What Pro should have said in R1 is, "A study showed that home schooled students are more likely to graduate college, by 9.2%, than public school students." Pro botched the wording of the claim, but it was clearly stated in the reference, which Con should have read. Con's argument about the number of graduates was not responsive; we care about what percentage of students with a certain background succeed, not how many of them there are. Con's argument about variance is wrong. Variance errors are a problem when there is too little data to reach a valid conclusion; that wasn't alleged.

Both sides should take care to first state the argument in the debate, then provide the reference as support for the argument. So the format is:

The sky is blue. [NASA Sky Color Study, 2005 ...]

A source cannot be referenced as making arguments, only as supporting evidence for the validity of the argument. Pro could have gotten a lot more out of his second reference in R1 by making the arguments in the article and then citing the article.

Con forfeited, but five round debates are usually too much for people to read. One round for acceptance plus three rounds of debate is a good pattern.
Posted by JacobAnderson 2 years ago
i just realized. I mean TWO THIRDS of the oranges are still good, got it mixed up.
Posted by DudeStop 2 years ago
... I can't think of a contention to this statement...
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Due to forfeiture, Anderson loses arguments and conduct. Also, pro had better arguments. My favorite thing that he did was make benefits that were literally not refutable, as said by con.