SweetCrackerJack
SwimStar01209

Should homeschooling be allowed in every state?

SweetCrackerJack

SweetCrackerJack

Pro

Homeschooling should be allowed in every state because if a child is bullied or abused in a public school, they should have a right to get eduacated at their House
SwimStar01209

Con

I think that it shouldn't be allowed in every state because what if the child meets their bully in the street? Are they going to run away? While that may work and make a lot of sense, by allowing this you're encouraging the child to run from their problems. What is the point in that?
SweetCrackerJack

Pro

Well when they are on the street, wouldn't their parents be supervising? When their child gets bullied, why would they ever, leave them alone unsupervised. And plus, Wouldn't they be learning in their house? Not on the street. Emphasis on HOMEschooling.
SwimStar01209

Con

I didn't say they wouldn't be learning in their homes. What I meant was that maybe they went out for a drink with their friends. Besides when they grow up and go to university, their parents will not always be there to help them. Sure anyway, some bullies don't care if the parents are there. Sometimes they feel it might make them look even more dangerous, as if they aren't scared of anything.
SweetCrackerJack

Pro

Well why wouldn't they be supervised when they go out? And when they are in a university, wouldn't bullies already pass bullying other people? Parents should help if needed no matter what. and if they do bully whe there is supervision, well wouldn't he be in trouble tthen?
SwimStar01209

Con

Your point is valid but bullying isn't always done by children, to children. It can happen by adults and to adults also. Also what if some day your parents aren't there. Or your alone. home-schooling may seem like the easier option when your child - or whoever - is getting bullied. But by keeping them out of school you may be stopping them from learning how to stick up for themselves and/or what they believe in. I'll go back to my point on hiding. What if you're alone, and some bully (of any age) comes up to you and maybe punches you a few times to say get some money off you? Are you just going to give in because this guy is used to getting what he/she wants through violence? How will you hide then? Or are you going to stick up for yourself? Keep in mind people bully because they have issues them self. Some children get abused/neglected by their parents so they might not even care if their child's a bully. They might support it even!!

My points are:

1) Giving in may make much more sense and I'm not saying it wouldn't be smart. But in this case you might have to learn to fight for yourself. Even if you just tell someone when your in school. They could help. Maybe if you told a teacher, they would keep a close eye on the bully and interfere if anything happens again.
2) Say you leave school, get home-schooled and manage to avoid the bully for ages. If this person's such a bully that you have to change your whole life to avoid this one person, I'm sure they'd find you somehow. Again I say, you can't run forever.
3) What if your parents, or whoever is teaching you now that you're getting home-schooled aren't giving you as good of an education as you could be getting. Is it really worth it? What if you are barley passing tests and aren't getting the proper grades. I mean I'm all for hating school and everything but even I have to admit, maybe school is the best thing for a child.
4) Bullies are the cowards, not the people they're bullying, so in some cases, maybe all the bully needs is a good slap in face and they might actually step off!!
Vote Placed by amik10 2 years ago
amik10
SweetCrackerJackSwimStar01209Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Very close, and poor debate. Both sides focused more on types of bullying rather than the question at hand. Con laid out his points, and made them clearer so he gets conduct, plus Pro came off as sassy at points. Pro messed up a few capitalizations, so Con get S&G. Pro gets arguments, because Con brings up no points of his own, and only refutes Pro, which pro defended somewhat well. Neither used sources so tie there. Overall I thought Con won.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
SweetCrackerJackSwimStar01209Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm going to give con arguments for this reason: they had a very tough position but argued ir well in rounds 2 and 3. Good luck to both of you in the future.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
SweetCrackerJackSwimStar01209Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This became more of a "what about bullying" debate instead of an actual homeschooling debate. Con was the only one to really present an argument besides bullying, so he takes home the win. I wish this debate had been about homeschooling and not bullying. Upon further review, I have decided to give arguments to pro because he did set the guidelines and argue them effectively.