Unicornlandia1
WitherDragon999

Should homework be abolished?

Unicornlandia1

Pro

First, I'd just like to thank everyone who is reading this debate for their time and thank my opposition.

I know it sounds silly, but homework could be a major reason for students being poorly educated or mentally unstable. Crazy right? Well, read on.

Let's start with stress.
We all know that the mind learns best when it is relaxed and happy. Is it really helping to drill homework into students, after they've already been working hard for 5-7 hours? Yes, repetition can help your learning, but only if a student is in a calm and content state. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and it is becoming an enormous issue, as it is becoming more and more recognized and understood. Stress is not bad for your mental health when it helps you. Stress can become too powerful and be dangerous for children and teens, as they need to be healthy in order to grow. In fact, mental health is directly linked to physical health. Eradicating homework would be extremely beneficial to the students' learning.* Finland is a great example of a stress-free and very well functioning education system. They do not have homework and only have (on average) 20 hours of school per week - that's 4 hours per day!

In conclusion, I would like to say to the resolution "Should homework be abolished?" must stand.

*if they are under stress - which the majority of children and teens are.
WitherDragon999

Con

Truthfully, homework actually helps with learning. If you have problems on a certain topic, then homework can help. Plus, you get to learn the importance of meeting a deadline, which is helpful when you grow up. It also helps with planning ahead. In addition, if you don't do your homework, then you learn the consequences. AND it helps parents know what their kid is learning.
Unicornlandia1

Pro

Couldn't parents be notified through email, letters sent home, or something along those lines?

I do agree that homework can do some good, but the damage it can do to learning and mental health are significantly worse.

If a student would like to practice a certain topic, by all means, they can. I would not class this as homework however. In fact, since "homework" has not yet been defined, I will request a definition.

Homework: Work a teacher or professor has assigned to a student or class, with an obligation to be completed by a certain due date.

WitherDragon999

Con

For Spectators: If you are going to use these arguments, please don't just write "Debate.org". Please give credit to us.

Countering the point "If a student would like to practice a certain topic, by all means, they can. I would not class this as homework however." You might not have time at school to practice. In fact, the only time you have to study is after you do all your work in a period. Unless you are in elementary, which still doesn't leave much time to study.

Also, I don't think schools could quickly establish a system which notifies the parents what their students need to work on. Instead, the kids could just do their homework right when they get home, and then they can continue the day without mental stress problems.
Unicornlandia1

Pro

Model Finland Self-Guided Learning

Parent

One of the highest ranking education systems in the world is Finland. Did you know they have, on average, 20 hours of school per week? If these were evenly divided between Monday to Friday, there would be four hours per day. How do they get this work done? No, not with homework. Finland is what inspired me to create this debate. They do not have homework in Finland. So four hours. Four hours to complete all of their schoolwork. How is it done? Mental health. You see, the students there are motivated and excited to do their work. With scientific proof that the brain works better when it is relaxed and happy, we can conclude that these students are very happy with their learning and wanting to learn more, rather than watching the clock.

My next pillar is Self-Directed Learning. Self-Directed Learning is an education system used in a few schools. It encourages independence in students, as there are no classes. The students choose what they know they need to ameliorate and focus on things they would prefer to learn. Wouldn't this solve the problem of both contentedness and give students the right amounts of time to work on their weak spots?

There are many ways for parents/guardians to be notified of their child(ren)'s current schoolwork topic. Online especially, there are lots of websites which easily send information to students' parent(s)/guardian(s). These websites also transfer important information such as grades, upcoming school events, and much more.

The resolution "Should homework be abolished?" must stand.
WitherDragon999

Con

It is true that 4 hours a day is good for schoolwork, but what about the teachers? Working all day? They will still be relieved when they go home, away form school. Also, the Self-Directed Learning has some problems. For example, some students could only learn their favorite topic, and not learn their weakness.

My next counter is that not everyone has computers. If they don't, they can't see what their kids are doing. The only way is report cards, or sometimes conferences. Plus, some homework is not overnight. These are often weekly, so the student has to work on it periodically. If they don't, well to bad, they procrastinated, and they have a panic attack, and learn a lesson.

There are few negatives in homework, as long as kids learn to do it early. Again, they can do their homework on the bus, the ride home, or (in elementary) recess, and not at home.

That's why "Should homework be abolished" must fall.
Unicornlandia1

Pro

As a rebuttal, I would like to state when the bus was mentioned. Buses are one of many forms of transportation. How would a student do their homework on a bike? That would clearly show lots of safety hazards. Also, is doing homework on the bus any different from doing it at home? It's still homework, which, as I have mentioned before, presents mental health issues. The only thing about completing homework on the bus is that instead of socializing with friends, reading a book, playing a game or some other form of relaxation, they are doing more work after a long day in a bumpy, uncomfortable vehicle which is a horrible study/workspace. Doing homework on the bus shows more problems than at home.

Using the following source I have found that, in the U.S., approximately 90% of adults have some sort of electronic device. And, of course, there are non-electronic ways to communicate with parents and schools, such as agendas or letters sent home. Missing an obvious point, the students can simply talk to their parents. Keep in mind, that's only for the 10% of parents who do not have an electronic device in the U.S.
http://www.pewinternet.org...

I could not fully understand I"t is true that 4 hours a day is good for schoolwork, but what about the teachers? Working all day? They will still be relieved when they go home, away form school." (Notice the spelling error: form-from) Please explain in a way that makes more sense.

Self-Directed learning, as I pointed out, has many benefits. You said "some students could only learn their favourite subject, and not learn their weakness. The whole point of self-directed learning is for students who would like to guide their own learning. To think that the students would join a program meant to encourage independence, and then not be intelligent with their decisions would be absurd.

"If they don't, well to bad, they procrastinated, and they have a panic attack, and learn a lesson." This confused me once again. I would urge you to practice your grammar. ("well to bad" is incorrect).

Through all of the evidence I have shown, I have proven that the resolution "Should homework be abolished" once again, must and will stand.

WitherDragon999

Con

I suck at grammar. lol.
What I mean by "What about the teachers?" is that what do the teachers do in a 4 hour period? Would they just stand around checking papers, not actually teaching? What would they do?
After a long day of non-stop working, some students will be tired and long for home, where they can rest.
For the procrastination thing, I mean that they have to do all their homework they were supposed to do periodically all in one night. They have to work really late into the night to not get punished in a way.

Countering the second point you had, The study was in 2015, not now. And that's just in America. Also, kids sometimes don't want to talk to their parents, and letters from school are rare.

Anyways, you can see now why "Would (WHY DO I SUCK AT TYPING) Should homework be abolished?" should fall. Thanks for debating with me! I appreciate it!

Posted by Unicornlandia1 1 year ago
Unicornlandia1
Yeah yeah, that's totally fine :) Love to do a debate with you sometime!
Posted by RC-9282 1 year ago
RC-9282
Just to Unicornlandia, I wanted to apologize for the last debate, about militarizing the court system. I was called up to a tournament in Vail for the week, and was unavailable. Just wanted to let you know. Perhaps a rematch sometime? Oh, and for round two, I thought I was posting a comment, but put an argument.

Overall My B