Should homework be banned? (In secondary school)

I think that homework should be banned (in secondary school). What do you think?
This is your chance to display your opinion about whether homework should be banned or not?
Rules: No fighting
If you look online for 'inspiration', DON'T forget to add your sources.
Most importantly , have FUN!!!

I accept to this debate (along with the proposed rules). I will be debating why homework should NOT be banned. Good luck!

Thank you for accepting this debate.

Firstly, I would like to ask this question. What is homework? Well according to Google, homework is schoolwork that a pupil is required to do at home.

Homework is pointless because kids do enough work in school and they don't need more. When they come home they want to relax, have time for themselves , or do something fun. I don't know about you, but in England, children are in school for 8 hours everyday doing school work. They only have a 15 minute break at break time and a 55 minute at lunch time. Which I don't think is long enough (but that's for another day to argue about LOL).

I'm currently a yr10 student who is going into yr11. Like many other students, and even some teachers. They all agree that homework is pointless and not really helpful!!! Here are just a handful of reasons why :
-It is stressful
-It takes away from free time
-It takes away from after school sports
-It can negatively affect performance
-We have to deal with 8 hours of school already
-Other countries, like Japan, have less homework but higher IQ (They also do HOMEWORK, inside SCHOOL!)
-It takes away family time
- Some children have chores to do, like looking after younger siblings while parents are at work.
- Also, no science backs up homework benefits.

Instead of doing homework, (which a handful of teacher don't acctuly bother to mark) I would prefer to use my so called 'home time' revising for tests. Not coming home at 4.00 and staying up all night doing work that's not even going to be marked.

Like you I am also in year 10, going into year 11, but I live in Scotland so it's S3 going into S4.

So here in Scotland the work in School and the work at home is very different.

School work is usually more for learning, so most of the lesson the teacher is talking to the class, explaining concepts, then for maybe 15 minutes at the end the class would put what they have learnt into practice.

Homework is not for learning, it is for practicing, this allows for the student to fully practice and understand what they have learnt in class so that the next time they go to class they can move on and actually use the teachers expertise and spend their in-class time on learning, not on revision.

Now onto countering some of the points you made:

Firstly "it is stressful". Well let's imagine that you go through school with no stress, when you get a job or go to college/uni you all of a sudden have to meet strict deadline, all very stressful. My point is exposure to stress is not necessarily a bad thing, sure too much of it can be harmful, but the stress caused by homework can actually help you learn to deal with stress before you are put into a real life situation where people are dependent on you (which is much more stressful).

You then said "it takes away from free time". What is more important? Understanding and getting better at school work or playing Call of Duty. For me, along with many others, the answer is the former. School in general takes away from free time, but that's no reason not to attend school.

Another point you mentioned was to do with IQ. As far as I know IQ is something that is fixed from birth, therefore of course homework isn't going to affect it, nothing will.

And finally (because it would take me too long to counter everything) you said "It can negatively affect performance". I believe it could go either way - if you are good at managing your time efficiently then I believe it will have a very positive impact on your knowledge and understanding.

Reading your closing paragraph I believe we have found a middle ground - I have no respect for teachers who give meaningless homework, I completely agree that meaningless, unmarked homework is a waste of time. Luckily for me I rarely get issued such homework (when I do, it is usually from a substitute teacher). However I believe that homework when issued effectively and marked afterwards is very beneficial for students.

I understand that homework helps to clarify what was learned during the school day,and that also gives practice with content, concepts and skills. But, homework must be corrected quickly or students get frustrated and lose interest. Homework disturbs family life and prevents students from doing household chores.

Homework is often meaningless busywork which does not promote real learning students do need time to relax, play and pursue sports and hobbies children need free time to regroup and relax, just like adults do

Too much homework can encourage cheating because children end up copying off one another in an attempt to finish all their assignments. They then end up being rewarded for cheating which doesn't benefit them at all.

According to the researchers, regardless of how much a student generally studies each day, if that student sacrifices sleep time to study more than usual, he or she will have more trouble understanding material taught in class and be more likely to struggle on an assignment or test the following day.

And finally, a lot of teachers don't often have the time to grade papers properly as they are too busy with designing lesson plans and consulting teaching resources in order to just manage lessons. So by the time students are getting their papers back, the class has moved on to a new topic (which is quite annoying).

cj1m forfeited this round.
Posted by cj1m 1 year ago
Thank you for this debate. I forfeited because we have had completely different experiences with homework growing up. I completely disagree with useless homework, like yourself, so I had nothing more to say.
Posted by Zinora 1 year ago
My opponent forfeited the last round so I think that I should get all the points...
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited so Pro gains those points. Pro is the only one who provided sourcing though some of the links are broken. I recommend that in the future that you put the url in parenthesis like this: (url link) that way your link isn't broken. Despite there being very little clash in the debate by Pro I have no choice, but to give those points to her. The reason being is simply in regards to her listing key effects that homework causes. Con tries to refute it point by points and he drops the relaxation argument that Pro had made. Con also didn't back-up many of his arguments with sources which actually hurt his argument as he isn't creditable. Luckily for him Pro didn't discard the arguments as such. For Spelling and Grammar I also have to give to Pro, the reason being is that Con had provided several grammatical mistakes where he forgot to add comas.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. I'll try to frame an arguments RFD soon.