Victoria360
Putt-Putt

Should homework be banned?

Victoria360

Victoria360

Con

Should homework be banned? I will be on the side that does not agree with this opinion.
Rules:
-No trolls
-Please finish all three rounds of the debate.
-No offensive language
Im looking forward to a interesting debate! Good luck!!
Putt-Putt

Pro

I look forward to a great debate with you!

The Unspoken rules of DDO will be followed and I will only use round one to accept. I look forward to your response!
Victoria360

Con

Victoria360 forfeited this round.
Putt-Putt

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited, so I will wait until next round to post arguments.
Victoria360

Con

Homework should not be banned due to many reasons. These reasons include, being prepared for the future, learning how to manage your time, being able to get more out of education, having study resources, and learning to be organized. Without homework students will not get the most out of the lesson in school. Im still in school and believe me I definitely would love not having to do homework but without it I would not have the level of education that I posses today.
(1)Like I said, homework teaches kids how to manage their time. Without it kids would go home and do things they want to do all day long, which would be nice but when they get to the real world it not going to help them. In all honesty, I take mostly all honors classes and understand the feeling of frustration when you get home and have 1 hour of Trig homework. But that doesn't mean I don't have any free time, it just means I have to manage my time by doing some of it in study hall and then doing more of it at home. If we didn't have homework in schools then students would not be getting one of the most important skill they should be getting out of school.
(2)Practice makes you better, it definitely does not make you perfect but it makes you better. All homework is, is practicing what your learning! So lets say that you didn't understand what you did in class? A couple years ago that definitely would have been a problem with homework, but now it isn't because the student has countless resources to get help. For instance, a online textbook, a real textbook (What? A real book? Who reads those anymore?), online websites like Open-study (My lifesaver), email a teacher, ask your parents, ask a older sibling, ect ect. The options for getting help in this day and age are endless.
Homework can also come in handy for study resources, studying for finales, tests , and quizzes. Homework offers a place to make those mistakes so you don't have to make them on a test. When the time for testing comes take out those old homework assignments and look over them, see your mistakes and make sure you understand the topic.
Lastly, I think I have done my part to prove that homework is a vital part of education and should not be removed.
P.S I apologize for forfeiting in the first round, as I said I was busy.

(1)https://schools-education.knoji.com...
(2)http://www.teach-nology.com...
Putt-Putt

Pro

Thank you con for your argument.

When it comes to homework, a basic argument to play is always it prepares students for the real world. However, the real world does not require an 8 hour work day, and then three to four hours of work after you get home and off the clock. [1]
These 9-5 jobs require the same routines every day with the same hours and no knew skills that need to be learned day in and day out like the school system.

Aside from "the real world", homework also infringes on students who have extra curricular activities. As a high school student, I currently have 2 jobs, I am on the journalism staff, where we normally stay after school hours for 2 or more hours, play baseball and hockey, and have to squeeze homework in on top of that. Now if we break this day down hour by hour, this is what it would look like. Every morning I wake up at 6, and get to school around 7. From 7 to 2:41 is how long school is in session, which is almost 8 hours, but I don't get home until 3, so we will call it a solid 8 hours. So far, with the hours of school that I had plus the hour it takes me to get ready and go to school, we have 9 hours. Now most days I stay after school for 2 hours until five for journalism, adding the total to 11 hours. By now it is 5, and this is when work starts, and on days that I do not work, I'm headed to either baseball or hockey practice. After work, which is normally a 5 hour shift, I get home at 10, sometimes I get home even as late as 12:30. Let's use the best case scenario for this argument and say I get off at 10. Now on most days I have about 2 hours of homework and/or studying to do. If I happen to get this done, or attempt to complete it, I will finish at midnight. Now it takes me about 30 minutes to get ready for bed, including brushing my teeth, changing, getting my heater on and ready, taking care of the pets, etc. So this leaves us at 12:30. Like I stated earlier, I have to wake up at 6. This gives me 5 1/2 hours of sleep, which is not only unhealthy, but also highly unsafe, as the recommended hours of sleep for a teenager is 9 1/4 to fully function the next day. [2]

Now I understand I could cut back on journalism and sports and a job, but that is a part of life for not just me, but many students nation wide, as about 52% of teens are currently employed [3]. When looking at "real world experience" these extra curricular activities and teenage jobs teach more about the "real world" then trying to find angle c on a right triangle does.

1. http://www.bls.gov...
2. http://sleepfoundation.org...
3. http://www.bls.gov...
Victoria360

Con

Victoria360 forfeited this round.
Putt-Putt

Pro

Extend arguments
Posted by Victoria360 2 years ago
Victoria360
Im not going to be able to post my argument for this round due to my horrible memory. Sorry, I will post for the third round. I have also been buried with school. Thank you for understanding! :)
Vote Placed by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
Victoria360Putt-PuttTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a better argument but forfeited 2 rounds
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
Victoria360Putt-PuttTied
Reasons for voting decision: Credit to Con, she gave very convincing arguments, but Pro had better conduct and sources.