crazyness
EmilyMemmi

Should homework be banned?

EmilyMemmi

crazyness

Pro

Don't you think that homework should be banned? I think homework is just busy work and causes too much stress. What do you think?
EmilyMemmi

Con

No, because homework helps students make sure they understand the day's lesson before starting the next lesson. That's all I'll say for now until Pro extends their arguments.
crazyness

Pro

Homework causes stress for kids. I think homework is just to make sure if students have understood the lesson they are learning about. Sometimes, homework becomes so hard that students have to miss their outdoor activities that they need for social skills development. If kids miss their practices, they don't get to play in the next game, but if kids miss doing their homework, their grades go down.
EmilyMemmi

Con

If you manage your time well, you shouldn't be missing practices. I'm taking 9th and 10th grade courses in 8th grade and still managed to do my homework on the days I had rehearsal from 3:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. If you plan your time, all of your arguments become invalid.
crazyness

Pro

What's happens when your family ruins your time management at the last minute to go somewhere? My brother is a senior in high, and if you know what you can get selected for in high school, I think you would know what the academic decathlon is, right? Well, my brother has all honors classes, and he was selected for the team. He now has no time to spend with his family or socialize with friends because he has to study, keep healthy, and volunteer to have a nice profile for college. Does that sound like it is easy because I don't think so.
EmilyMemmi

Con

If you chose to spend your time preparing for college and other things like that (that are all fine) you can't expect to have free time. I literally finished my homework 10 minutes ago, but I accept that. If he accepted those responsibilities, he can't complain.
crazyness

Pro

Homework shouldn't have to be one of the important things in your childhood. Your childhood memories should include having fun. When you go to high school or college, you don't have a choice for what to take as a responsibility. Unlike choosing your own classes, even if you have a choice, your options are very limited.
EmilyMemmi

Con

Homework doesn't have to be "one of the important things in your childhood." That's like saying (if you have the chore of taking out the garbage) that taking out the garbage shouldn't have to be a part of your childhood. It isn't!!!!!! It doesn't have to be!!!! Homework wouldn't be the huge deal it is if people were to just accept that it's for their better.
crazyness

Pro

How much does homework really help? It doesn't even show how good a child is learning a concept? Don't any of your teachers tell you to be more active? I don't know about you, but when my teachers tell us to be more active, it's useless for them to tell us that since we stay in seats most of our daytime and after school, I don't think it's possible to finish homework while you are at practice. We cant be more active if we get more homework. Also, if children need help, they cant get as much help because they might not be able to ask their friends or teachers. Even if they ask their parents, their parents might not know how to do it because they might have learnt the lesson with different methods and might not remember how to do the problem. Students can get as much help and they try to finish it in school in hurry so they don't lose points in their grade and they might just copy off their friend's paper to turn in assignments that weren't even completed by themselves.
EmilyMemmi

Con

First off, I'll just say that I think you need a little more english homework, as there are enough grammatical errors that I don't know what you're saying some of the time! I will however do my best to cover all the points I can understand.

I would say it quite adequatly shows how a child is learning a concept and I don't know why you think that it dosen't. You didn't give any information to back up your claim, so I am forced move on.

Again, if you manage your time well, you should have plenty of time to go outside, unless you are doing other activities such as sports, oh wait, sports are active to! Practice shouldn't take up all your time, because it doesn't. Practice should also be first to go, not homework.

Not being able to ask their friends and teachers is first off not true and secondly I don't see a onnection with that to why homework is bad. I do agree that sometimes forget things, but like I said, students can ask their friends and teachers.
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
@EmilyMemmi

Exact same thing with the 9th and 10th grade classes in 8th grade, although in NZ it's Year 10, Year 11 and Year 9 respectively. Science 9th grade, maths 10th grade.

The sad thing- me and the 4 other Year 9's (8th graders) get significantly better grades in tests than the actual Year 11's (10th graders)

Although I don't do much after school stuff...... Fitting in the homework during the very middle of term around that would be impossible, we get 6 and a half hours sometimes......
Posted by EmilyMemmi 1 year ago
EmilyMemmi
I didn't have room, but I was also going to say that cheating isn't a reason to stop homework, merely a reason to teach kids that it is wrong and to be more responsible.
Posted by crazyness 1 year ago
crazyness
Homework also causes many students to fail exams because they don't know whether to study or finish their homework with their other activities.
Posted by CommunistDog 1 year ago
CommunistDog
Why homework is good:
-practice
-helps for preparation for exams and quizzes; especially finals
-if you need extra help with a topic, you can ask your teacher
-improves your grade tremendously
Vote Placed by travis18352 1 year ago
travis18352
crazynessEmilyMemmiTied
Reasons for voting decision: i agree with pro mostly
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
crazynessEmilyMemmiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was ok from both. Con had better spelling/grammar. Neither provided sources. The arguments were non factual from both sides. Pro claims that it stresses kids and impacts their activities. He failed to mention that homework is not necessary. Con on the other hand stated that it's necessary for development (no sources to prove his claim), and that people can manager their time. I vote con for providing slightly more convincing arguments.