Seattle
nyqii

Should homework be banned?

nyqii

Seattle

Pro

I think homework should be banned because of how much time it takes up. Before I started home-schooling, I went to a public school that gave students more than enough homework for one night. When I first started going to the school (I was in third grade), I had about three hours of homework every night, and this was without bathroom breaks, snack breaks, etc... It only got worse as time went on. When I started eighth grade, I had close to seven hours of homework... On a good day. We already have 7-8 hours of school already, but making kids work on school at home is unfair for the students.
nyqii

Con

Homework is for teaching discipline. It helps to practise to reach due dates. Homework prepares you for working life, it makes your future easier. It teach children skills like self discipline, time management, prioritizing work, responsibility and values.
  1. You will get the ability to overcome your weaknesses and control your feelings with self discipline.
  2. Children will be taught how to use time efficiently and productively.
  3. They will learn to complete the most important tasks first.
  4. Children will apply responsibility by completing homework.
  5. It will also teaches values to improve a child's character.

The sum of the school hours is really a small amount. Most teachers will only get enough time to explain a lesson properly and cover the topic fully. Homework also keep children out of trouble because they won't get time to do stupid or wrong things. They will only do things they really want to. Homework makes children also do it more properly because they have less distractions from other children in the class. They won't also feel as rushed when other students finish first.

"There is no way a student can learn everything mentioned in class without reinforcing the subject." Lew Levine
Seattle

Pro

When people think of homework, the thing that usually pops into their head is a middle school student breezing through his/her homework assignments, when really, this is not the case. When students are given large amounts of homework, all of it due the next day, they feel stressed and overwhelmed. It was bad enough for me to work 7-9 hours on homework on a regular day of school, but when I got into higher grades, I was working over twelve hours a day on homework alone. It would be an understatement to say that I was stressed. I was beyond that; and, sadly, this is the case for many students. Some even become depressed because they feel over worked. On top of schoolwork, lots of students have jobs, chores, and family matters to be taken care of. Do we really want this to happen to people?

If that isn't enough, stress is linked to multiple health problems that can mess up your heart, teeth, and immune system, so people are more likely to get sick. I remember getting sick more often than usual when I was very stressed.

http://www.healthline.com...
nyqii

Con

The following was recited if http:/www.school.education.knoji.com/should-homework-be-ban/
"Studies have proven that homework does improve the stability of students in school. According to Coperas much-cited review of homework studies, there have been 20 studies since 1962 that compared the achievement of students who received homework and achievement of students who did not. Results are that 14 of the studies showed benefit in doing homework, while 6 did not. This further strengthens the statement. Time spent completing homework is time well spent."."

Prioritizing your work and using time effectively will reduce homework stress. Ask help when you need it and make sure you understand your work. Homework will help teachers to show which work do they need to explain again because some students may struggle with some activities. Remember a teacher can't give in a short each child individual attention to notice their weak points.

Washingtonpost.com had a recent study which shown that teens spend 7 and a 1/2 hours on their phones. If they use at least half of that time they would have much more time for homework, which puts their minds in good use. The busier they are, the less trouble they would get.

We cannot deny that the pros of homework makes the cons even less noticeable!
Seattle

Pro

Seattle forfeited this round.
nyqii

Con

Should homework be banned?
No, it should not!

My arguments sumed up:
  1. Teaches dicipline
  2. Prepares you for your future
  3. Teaches time managing
  4. Teaches prioritizing
  5. Learn students about responsibility
  6. Helps with teaching values
  7. Overcoming weaknesses
  8. Keeps topic in mind
  9. Helps teachers
  10. Deal with stress and due dates
I think we all can conclude that homework should not be banned.
Posted by tashtash 12 months ago
tashtash
check my debate
Posted by AllenFierte 1 year ago
AllenFierte
@Lisen2Reason Check the debate. The argument is in there. (Hopefully at least.)
Posted by AllenFierte 1 year ago
AllenFierte
Posted by Lisen2Reason 1 year ago
Lisen2Reason
Why would you ban homework it helps prepare and it helps keep the topic in the mind
Posted by Lisen2Reason 1 year ago
Lisen2Reason
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
SeattlenyqiiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a turn, therefore conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 9 months ago
Blade-of-Truth
SeattlenyqiiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited the final round without any given reason. S&G - Tie. Both sides had appropriate spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Con. Pro starts by arguing that homework is too time consuming. Con starts by listing a plethora of benefits including discipline, time management, and responsibility. Pro doesn't rebut these points in the next round, but rather provides additional harms such as depression and stress, including the additional harms that can stem from stress. Con then provides rebuttals against stress by arguing that time management and prioritization reduces stress and how the time spent on phones could be better spent on homework which would then alleviate the time it takes. At this point, Pro forfeits the final round, thus leaving Con's own arguments to go standing unchallenged and with no rebuttals. For this, Con wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources whereas Pro provided one that validated his claim regarding stress.