SweetCrackerJack
dtaylor971

Should homework be banned?

dtaylor971

SweetCrackerJack

Con

They shouldn't ban homework because homework tests if children can solve mathematic equasions and scientific statements etc. therefore homework is a very important subject in your school year
dtaylor971

Pro

I accept this debate challenge. I will assume this a free debate with every round being dedicated to arguments and rebuttals. So... rebuttals first.

--Rebuttal 1a: Dissecting opponents' arguments--
In the first round of this debate, my opponent states that homework is a subject and that it has the ability to test to see if children can solve equations in subjects such as math or science.

--Rebuttal 1b: Arguing opponents' arguments--
The first point that I will refute is that homework is a subject.

I actually don't quite see why I need to argue this point, as it may differ from person to person. However, in school, a subject is something such as Social Studies or Language Arts where you learn something in particular (1). At no point does it, or should it, say homework. Therefore, homework is not a subject, which proves your resolution that "homework is a very important subject" false. Your said resolution in the first round has failed to be met.

Now for the argument that homework tests children's abilities. While it does, it is unnecessary and could be done in school. If I am not mistaken, school itself is about learning and testing, correct? So why can't homework be done in school?
The average school period is about 40-50 minuets. This is by far enough time for teachers to get the things on their lists done. Homework is mostly things that one has failed to do in class.
Furthermore, teachers can test if a student can solve an equation in class easily. After all, shouldn't that be what school is all about? You learn and you solve. Homework is simply the result of what teachers have failed to teach and what students have failed to learn.

(1) http://genkienglish.net...

--Argument I--
My first and only argument for this round will contain of grades that are linked to homework.

Contrary to popular belief, homework can help you score LOWER on tests instead of higher (2). Studies show that in most places, the more the homework, the lower the test score. But why does this happen? It is because of stress levels. Sometimes, stress overwhelms the brain and one can forget things, such as a test.

Furthermore, studies show that 29% of 13 year olds spend 2 or more hours on homework (3). Many people who have this have bad grades:

"As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades." -LaxdoubleK, Colorado

As people get older, they have more and more homework and pressure on them. They are also urged to play a school sport. All of this weighs down on them and their happiness levels. Up to 20% of twelve year olds, MOSTLY IN 6TH GRADE, feel stressed out constantly (4).

The banning of homework would result in better test grades, less stress, and more happiness. It would also increase athletics because they would have more time to play sports. So as you can see, the banning of homework would bring more good then bad.

Sorry for the short argument; I'm not used to arguing in the first round.

Thank you for reading and thank you for your time.

(2) http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
(3) http://www.teenink.com...
(4) http://globalkidsstudy.com...

SweetCrackerJack

Con

i guess you win.
dtaylor971

Pro

Thank you for the concession. I hope we can debate on another topic sometime!
SweetCrackerJack

Con

man, you are the friendliest person on the site!
dtaylor971

Pro

Thanks. I'm sure there are better guys than me out there. Thanks for the debate topic!
Posted by JamesCaesar 2 years ago
JamesCaesar
When given homework in school, I would do it in class anyway. Yes the teacher would yell at me that it was for "home." I didn't care. That doesn't mean my homework became classwork.
Just saying, you CAN do homework in school. Isn't that what study hall was for anyway? lolz..
Posted by cs2 2 years ago
cs2
It appears that this debate took place without regard to actual experience as to the effects of completing homework on student performance. It is simply not true that all "homework" can be done in the classroom. While much homework can be done in the classroom, some cannot be done there, or is not done there because the student is off task. Often, studying is assigned as homework. Continued study, over time, greatly enhances retention of material. Students should study as part of homework for the same reason that musicians and athletes practice. Do persons in law and medical school spend a tremendous amount of time studying? Of course they do. Who would hire a lawyer ignorant of the law or a surgeon who didn't pay attention during anatomy class? This debate should not have been conceded. It is manifestly true that homework is extremely useful when it comes to mastering material.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
Well, apparently my opponent thought I was right and conceded to my point.
Posted by 14yroldprodigy 2 years ago
14yroldprodigy
@dtaylor971

Rephrase. It should be "Homework should be banned, and we should only do assigned work at school".
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
You have obviously missed the point of my whole argument...
Posted by 14yroldprodigy 2 years ago
14yroldprodigy
@dtaylor971

You can not do homework at School. How? Homework is work assigned to students that has to be done AT HOME. If you were to do it at School, it is no longer homework (According to its definition). It would be classwork.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
Thanks bro
Posted by SweetCrackerJack 2 years ago
SweetCrackerJack
now i see why you win alot of debates...
Vote Placed by chengste 2 years ago
chengste
SweetCrackerJackdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: CON gave up
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
SweetCrackerJackdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
SweetCrackerJackdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins due to the concession by Con. Good conduct from both, so I awarded equal points for conduct. Must say Pro, not sure if I agree with you. I think it depends from student to student, I for one learned nothing in class, if it was not for homework forcing me I would have still been in school at the age of 35.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
SweetCrackerJackdtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by con