BennyLeo
BillBonJovi

Should homework be illegalized?

BillBonJovi

BennyLeo

Pro

My opponent in this debate will argue that homework is fine the way it is, and I will argue that it should be illegalized. This will be four rounds. I will allow my opponent to make an opening statement, and I will then I will begin round 2.
BillBonJovi

Con

Hello BennyLeo, I am BillBonJovi

I accept your debate about homework

I hope you and I have a fun debate together and I wish you the best of luck.

Now BennyLeo please start your argument...
BennyLeo

Pro

Two years ago, I wrote an essay about why homework should be abolished in our society.I was in the fifth grade then.Now, I am 13 years old.In the past two years, I have researched homework’s effects and trends surrounding it. According to a 2006 Duke University study, homework has very little effects in elementary and middle school, and in high school, "too much homework may diminish its effectiveness or even become counter productive." After you see the missed family, reading, and sleeping time kids sacrifice for homework. This minimal academic advancement is just not enough to make up for it.
Also, since the "payoff" for homework is extremely low, and the disadvantages outweigh the benefits, homework is essentially slavery. We don't get rewarded, and if we don't do it, we get punished. Slavery has been abolished for over 180 years. Thus, homework should be abolished nationwide.

http://www.nydailynews.com... - My homework essay

http://stophomework.com... - Fact sheet from the book The Case Against Homework, Bennett & Kalish
BillBonJovi

Con

I thank my opponent for his response in Round 2, and now onto my round 2.

Now the topic of this debate is whether homework should be illegalized or not. Illegalized is actually a very big word.

After reading my opponent’s Round 2, I will now rebut his arguments that he argued:

“According to a 2006 Duke University study, homework has very little effects in elementary and middle school, and in high school, "too much homework may diminish its effectiveness or even become counter productive." After you see the missed family, reading, and sleeping time kids sacrifice for homework. This minimal academic advancement is just not enough to make up for it.”

REBUTTAL: I do not consider the source Pro provided for this argument to be all that reliable, it was a PDF document that had no references or evidence at all. Therefore the status of that source is currently invalid. Furthermore the result of a single university study should not be enough to make homework overall become “illegalized”.

Finally Pro said:

“Also, since the "payoff" for homework is extremely low, and the disadvantages outweigh the benefits, homework is essentially slavery. We don't get rewarded, and if we don't do it, we get punished. Slavery has been abolished for over 180 years. Thus, homework should be abolished nationwide.”

REBUTTAL: This argument is silly, homework is not slavery and I don’t need to prove this because everyone should already know this. If homework is slavery then by that logic school is also slavery because by law kids have to go to school and yet so many of them wish they didn’t have to. I’ll explain the real payoff and benefits next in this debate...

Reasons to keep homework legal:

Compulsory education requires you to work further at home, the teachers do not have time to cover everything in lesson schedules, they have time to go into great detail about work at school, but don't know if you understand it, so giving them homework is making sure the student is committed to learning and understand of work the teacher gives them.

The "Payoff" if you will, is that the teacher KNOWS you KNOW the work, and if you attempted the work, and failed to complete it with a certain amount of correct answers or good use of knowledge, then the teacher recognises this, and can help solve any problems the student has.

The Benefits are that you understand the work, you are more involved with the work you are doing.
Without homework, teachers would lose a lot of opportunities to recognise each student’s personal strengths and weaknesses.

Every student is different, what one person understands easily, another might find it hard, the teacher doesn't know this until an evaluative test is involved, and a lot of modules have tight time constraints for things like this.

And teachers find it much more effective that homework is given, and then taken back to find out the results. The only other way this could be fixed if no homework was given, is after school lessons, which is worse.

Overall my opponent’s arguments so far are not enough to prove that homework overall should be “illegalized”.

I end my Round 2 here...
BennyLeo

Pro

Thank you for your argument, and I apologize for the delay in mine.

"...a PDF document that had no references or evidence at all..."

I would like to see proof that the material in my source was not referenced.

"...the result of a single university study should not be enough to make homework overall become 'illegalized'."

First, not many universities have taken a close look at homework's effectiveness. Professor Harris Cooper's comprehensive study has never been challenged or opposed, and that certainly says something about the validity of his claims.

Second, I do not believe that you fully understand my argument that homework is not worth it. Even though Professor Cooper reccomends 10 minutes of homework per grade level per night, there's no way to truly determine the amount of homework a teacher gives. As you claim in your argument, "Every student is different, what one person understands easily, another might find it hard..." So, if a third-grade homework assignment takes one student 30 minutes, and another 2 hours, then that isn't in the best interest of the student body as a whole. Furthermore, as my source from the previous round shows, reading is the most effective type of homework. Why not, instead of assigning homework, have each kid read for tem minutes per grade level a night? Thus, homework is pointless and should be replaced with reading.

"the 'Payoff' if you will, is that the teacher KNOWS you KNOW the work..."

Why can't s/he find this out with classwork assignments? If s/he can't then maybe s/he isn't fit for a teaching job.

"the Benefits are that you understand the work, you are more involved with the work you are doing."

I would like to see proof that homework helps students understand the work. Adding on to the above rebuttals, classwork assignments and reviews would work just fine, and reading insteead of homework would be more effective.

Therefore, Con's arguments have in no way proven that I am wrong in my original argument.

This concludes my Round 3 argument.
BillBonJovi

Con

I thank my opponent for his response in Round 3, and now onto my Round 3...

First my opponent said:

"I would like to see proof that the material in my source was not referenced."

REBUTTAL: I don't have to prove that the material was not referenced because all the voters will need to do is open the PDF up and see for themselves how unreliable that document was (Pro could have made it himself). Pro provided an unreliable source, Pro should be the one to try and prove it was truly reliable even though it clearly was not. [1]

Then Pro said:

"First, not many universities have taken a close look at homework's effectiveness. Professor Harris Cooper's comprehensive study has never been challenged or opposed, and that certainly says something about the validity of his claims."

REBUTTAL: I have evidence that Professor Harris Cooper is saying the opposite to what Pro claims he said. Apparently Duke University researchers have reviewed more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 and concluded that homework does have a positive effect on student achievement.

Harris Cooper, a professor of psychology and director of Duke's Program in Education, said the research synthesis that he led showed the positive correlation was much stronger for secondary students --- those in grades 7 through 12 --- than those in elementary school. [2]

So I now have just supplied evidence of a university study backing homework and I think I have also just disproved Pro's argument in this case of university study evidence against homework.

Next Pro said:

"Second, I do not believe that you fully understand my argument that homework is not worth it. Even though Professor Cooper reccomends 10 minutes of homework per grade level per night, there's no way to truly determine the amount of homework a teacher gives. As you claim in your argument, "Every student is different, what one person understands easily, another might find it hard..." So, if a third-grade homework assignment takes one student 30 minutes, and another 2 hours, then that isn't in the best interest of the student body as a whole. Furthermore, as my source from the previous round shows, reading is the most effective type of homework. Why not, instead of assigning homework, have each kid read for tem minutes per grade level a night? Thus, homework is pointless and should be replaced with reading."

REBUTTAL: As I said in Round 2... Without homework, teachers would lose a lot of opportunities to recognise each student's personal strengths and weaknesses. The relevance of homework is that the teacher KNOWS you KNOW the work, and if you attempted the work, and failed to complete it with a certain amount of correct answers or good use of knowledge, then the teacher recognises this, and can help solve any problems the student has. This is why reading (which Pro thinks is all that's needed) is not enough.

After this Pro said:

"Why can't s/he find this out with classwork assignments? If s/he can't then maybe s/he isn't fit for a teaching job."

REBUTTAL: it's possible the students could forget what they learn in lessons very quickly after the lesson is performed. Giving out homework will give students reason to stay focused on what they have learnt in lessons. Students need to cram a lot of work in, and the longer they spend on one topic, the more time is dwindling. Lessons won't always have enough time for the students.

Later on Pro said:

"I would like to see proof that homework helps students understand the work. Adding on to the above rebuttals, classwork assignments and reviews would work just fine, and reading insteead of homework would be more effective."

REBUTTAL: Like I explained with the evidence I explained with before, a university study (likely meant to be the same one Pro tried to use) shows that homework Helps Students Succeed in School and my source is more reliable than Pro's was because mine is from the university's official website. [2]

I end my Round 3 here and await my opponent's response in Round 4.

[1] http://stophomework.com...
[2] http://today.duke.edu...
BennyLeo

Pro

Again, I do not believe my argument was interpreted correctly. Let me try to summarize what I said, and then you may make your final rebuttal.

FIRST, Harris Cooper recommends 10 minutes of homework per grade level per night, however, lack of a true measuring system makes this method ineffective.

SECOND, the material in my PDF WAS referenced with several studies. If you don't trust it, your opinion.

THIRD, daily review should certaintly cement material in students' minds. If it doesn't, then the teacher needs to change his/her teaching strategies.

FOURTH, reading makes kids better spellers and eager learners, and is much easier to 'measure' (see point 1)

FIFTH, homework stresses kids out and makes them unable to participate in extracuriccular activities such as sports, reading, and even family meals.

AND SIXTH, you have STILL not proven that my arguments are wrong.

My opinions are clear, unbiased, and true. This is more than enough to merit a Pro vote.
BillBonJovi

Con

I thank my opponent for his response in Round 4, not onto my Round 4...

Now I want to remind voters that the topic of this debate was for Pro to show that homework should be illegalized and for me (Con) to show that homework is alright the way it is. I will now rebut Pro’s Round 4 arguments.

First Pro said:

“FIRST, Harris Cooper recommends 10 minutes of homework per grade level per night, however, lack of a true measuring system makes this method ineffective.”

REBUTTAL: This is still not enough to prove Pro’s arguments that homework should be illegalized, this lack of a true measuring system is hardly enough to support Pro’s argument at all.

Then Pro said:

“SECOND, the material in my PDF WAS referenced with several studies. If you don't trust it, your opinion.”

REBUTTAL: Sorry I didn’t mean to say it wasn’t referenced, just that it wasn’t referenced reliably. It would have been better the references had of been referenced with URL links to websites that contained the information related to the PDF document, but It didn’t so I don’t consider it to be all that reliable.

Next Pro said:

“THIRD, daily review should certaintly cement material in students' minds. If it doesn't, then the teacher needs to change his/her teaching strategies.”

REBUTTAL: This is an invalid argument; a lot of students will have disabilities that can include some people with visual impairments and those with dexterity difficulties such as repetitive strain injury. It may also include those who are hard of hearing or have mental health difficulties. No one is perfect and it is unfair and illogical to expect teachers to “cement material in students' minds” or else be sacked. [1]

Pro then went on to say:

“FOURTH, reading makes kids better spellers and eager learners, and is much easier to 'measure' (see point 1)”

REBUTTAL: As I said in response to point 1... This is still enough to prove Pro’s arguments that homework should be illegalized, this is hardly enough to support Pro’s argument at all. And the result of a single study should certainly not be enough to make something illegal.

Next Pro said:

“FIFTH, homework stresses kids out and makes them unable to participate in extracuriccular activities such as sports, reading, and even family meals.”

REBUTTAL: The best way to tackle this problem will be for students to get their homework done as soon as possible. Lots of students these days leave homework till the last day before it is to be handed in and that is likely the main reason why students may become unable to participate in extracurricular activities such as sports, reading, and even family meals. Students should learn how to organise their time properly.

Finally pro said:

“SIXTH, you have STILL not proven that my arguments are wrong.”

REBUTTAL: As far as I can see Pro has not proven his arguments to be right. Overall in this round I will disprove him.

Further reasons to keep homework legal:

School without homework is not an image I can fathom. There are many reasons homework should not be illegalized as it is beneficial towards the student, allows the teacher to acknowledge the student's weaknesses; in turn giving them an opportunity to improve and acquire new skills. Also, taking time each night to do homework is a chance for students to catch up on missed class and further reinforces the day's lessons so it is permanently etched in the student's mind where the information is stored and used when called upon. [2]

In fact homework should improve the stability of the student in school; this strengthens the statement that time spent completing homework is time well spent. Rather than giving students another hour of leisure time, doing homework entitles the student to an hour of enriched education; this can greatly benefit the student, as consistently finishing homework will reap great rewards such as a favourable test score or report card. Why are we posing such a ludicrous question about the possible illegalization of homework if doing homework is what it takes to succeed in school? It is a common emotion to students regarding the distaste of homework, but legions of teachers know better because they recognize the importance of homework in the success of students in school and outside of school. [2]

Not only does homework accomplishment benefit the student, it also benefits the teacher as well. Teachers receive the opportunity to see at what stage the student is by assigning homework. Furthermore, the teacher can identify the weaknesses of the student so they can ameliorate their study habits in hopes of pulling their grades up. On the other hand, if teachers were to abandon the idea of homework altogether, they would have to base the majority of the student's mark on tests alone. However, students fare much better in the homework column than the test column; otherwise, their marks would be lower than they currently are. Homework is not set out only to serve students; it is also aimed to help teachers gain insight on their student's progress. [2]

Moreover, the meaning and goal of homework is profitable towards the students. It allows students who missed the day's lesson to catch up with the rest of their classmates. Likewise, homework reinforces the new concepts taught that day and helps the student develop a deeper understanding of what they have learned. On the contrary, if teachers were to assign no homework daily, then the new ideas they have brought forth will fall on deaf ears and the students are the ones who lose out on the wondrous opportunity of learning something new. Are you ready to give up an opportunity where new notions are introduced and planted firmly within your mind? [2]

It is incredulous to suggest that homework should be illegalized; students greatly benefit from homework as it can possibly raise their grades, teachers have the opportunity to plot student's next steps to improve and new ideas and concepts are engraved inside your mind forever. Although many may hate the mention of homework, no one can deny the fact that homework's benefits overshadow its cons. To put it succinctly, homework should not be illegalized!

Conclusion of debate:

Overall in this debate I have counter argued my opponent’s case with logical reasons that show that making homework illegal is unnecessary and illogical. I have given reliable evidence to support my arguments however Pro has not given any reliable evidence at all for his arguments.

I didn’t really need to prove anything as much as Pro did, his argument was that homework should be illegal and he failed to properly prove why. I really only had to explain why homework is alright the way it is, which I did.
Now I want to remind voters that the topic of this debate was for Pro to show that homework should be illegalized and for me (Con) to show that homework is alright the way it is.

Overall due to my opponent’s unfortunate debating I urge a Con vote. I thank you BennyLeo for having this debate with me, it’s been fun and I hope we can debate again in the future :)

[1] http://kidshealth.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by adidas 2 years ago
adidas
I wish it was the same when I went to school.
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 2 years ago
SuperRobotWars
BennyLeoBillBonJoviTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros sources had a greater tendency towards bias than cons, cons arguments sound far more sensible and logical than pros and he also combated all of pros contentions [as far as I have seen].