jykinjs
Stonewall

Should homework exist

Stonewall

jykinjs

Con

i am a mostly b's student that never does any homework. if i had no homework, ever, then i would be one of the top in the school considering that i never get below a 98 in a test or quiz. there are many who simply are already busy with extracurricular activities and would do off much better if homework never existed.
Stonewall

Pro

"i am a mostly b's student that never does any homework. if i had no homework, ever, then i would be one of the top in the school..."

This statement doesn't make any sense. You say that you never do homework. You then say if you never had homework, you would be one of the top in your class. Is this because you never turn in homework? If you could potentially be one of the top students in your entire school on something you understand easily and completely, you could be the top. This point just shows how much you lack in effort in doing the best you can.

"there are many who simply are already busy with extracurricular activities and would do off much better if homework never existed."

The average American student spends less than an hour on homework. Let's say the average gets out of school at 4 with extra-curricular activities. The bus ride home takes about (and I'm being generous) an hour. The student could do their homework here, but I'll be nice and say the road's too bumpy to focus. That puts the student at 5. Let's say it takes an hour to eat dinner and do some chores, putting the students at 6 or 6:30. The rest is free time, with bedtime about 9. That's two and a half hours, with exaggerations on many of these times. What student can honestly say that the 30-45 minutes they spend on homework (again, an exaggeration) is "too much"? Furthermore, research has found that students don't really feel as though they have too much homework and simply stretch how they really feel; their parents feel the same way. (1)

___

The main crux of your argument is that homework hinders students. This has been proven time and again that homework does help students if there isn't too much. (2) And, as I mentioned before, most don't really feel as though their homework level is too much- these are simply exaggerations.

If you actually put forth some effort, I'm sure you could be the top in your class. But I'm sure the people who are at the top of your class actually do the homework, which speaks to its success rate. I look forward to your response.

1. http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com...

2. http://today.duke.edu...
jykinjs

Con

jykinjs forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

I'm only responding to clean up my debate box.
jykinjs

Con

jykinjs forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

Vote Pro.
jykinjs

Con

jykinjs forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

Cleaning up my debate notifications.
jykinjs

Con

jykinjs forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Pro

I think this debate speaks for itself, but vote for whoever made the better argument.
Posted by Stonewall 3 years ago
Stonewall
I'm hoping you've come up with a stellar response in the 2+ hours since you posted your comment.
Posted by jykinjs 3 years ago
jykinjs
i am a midlle schooler, yes.
Posted by alina3017 3 years ago
alina3017
Homework exists for the practical application of concepts learned in the classroom. Practice makes perfect. How is "should homework exist" even a question? Who proposed that title, a middle schooler?
Vote Placed by jvava 3 years ago
jvava
jykinjsStonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, and their argument made no sense.