Sophia13
Emilrose

Should homosexuality be welcomed in elementary schools?

Emilrose

Sophia13

Pro

Some people think that kids aren't old enough to know their sexuality. However, homosexuality is not a choice; it's something we have to discover about ourselves. Whenever that happens, at age 8 or age 98, I believe you're never too young or too old to "find yourself", and I would like to get some other people's opinions.
Emilrose

Con

Accepted.

Firstly, I'll include a definition of the term "homosexuality":

1. Sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.

2. Sexual activity with another of the same sex.

[1.] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

One basis in why homosexuality should not be welcomed in elementary school is because children are technically there to learn, not experiment with their sexuality. This isn't necessarily the case in high school or college, where students are more aware of their sexuality and able to make decisions about it, but in elementary school [where pupils are generally aged between 6 and 13/14] it would naturally be inappropriate to encourage children to "discover" themselves sexually and assign the label of "homosexual". The same could be said for categorizing a child as "straight", as in elementary education sexual identity should not be relevant at all.

Pro uses the example of being aged 8 and "finding yourself", however, at that age children are still significantly undeveloped; both mentally and physically. Therefore, they once again lack the intellectual capacity and emotional maturity to be able to actually discover themselves and formally decide what they're about. Particularly when it comes to sexual orientation. I'll point out once again that school is specifically for learning, and not for children to discover what their sexual orientation is.
Sophia13

Pro

Let me get something straight.
When I said kids should be able to express their sexualities in elementary school, I didn't necessarily mean they should date.
I simply meant they should be able to freely say they are gay, lesbian, etc. without being treated any differently by teachers and other school staff.
I also completely disagree with the fact that children are too young to know if they are hetero or homosexual. At my elementary school, my friends would always be talking about who they had crushes on. What if a girl said she had a crush on a girl? Or vice versa for a boy? Perhaps, if they are younger than ten, they may still think things like dating and kissing are "gross", but as they get into grade 5, 6, 7, and 8, they should be mature enough to know which gender they are more attracted to, if any, and express it without being told it is wrong to do so.
Emilrose

Con

Rebuttals

"When I said kids should be able to express their sexualities in elementary school, I didn't necessarily mean they should date."

Pro contradicts themselves here, as expressing ones sexuality could easily be equated with dating.

"I simply meant they should be able to freely say they are gay, lesbian, etc. without being treated any differently by teachers and other school staff."

The fact is that children who are elementary age are not old enough to formally make decisions about their sexuality. Even if a child in elementary school did feel an attraction towards the same gender, they are still technically too young to label themselves as "gay" or "lesbian". As noted in round one, it would be the same with a child labelling themselves as "straight"; largely because at their age it is not relevant.

"I also completely disagree with the fact that children are too young to know if they are hetero or homosexual."

Children are generally not concerned with what sexuality they are, one reason for that being becausese [certainly in the case of 7-10 year olds] they're not fully aware of sex yet. I'll reiterate again that children are in elementary school to learn, not to discover what sexuality they are. scover what they're sexuality or sexual preference is.

"At my elementary school, my friends would always be talking about who they had crushes on. What if a girl said she had a crush on a girl?"

Thiss is negated by the fact that crushes are not the same as explicitly stating what your sexuality is, and whether you are to be identified as "gay" or "lesbian" at elementary age.

"Perhaps, if they are younger than ten, they may still think things like dating and kissing are "gross", but as they get into grade 5, 6, 7, and 8, they should be mature enough to know which gender they are more attracted to, if any, and express it without being told it is wrong to do so."

A large amount of elementary school children are younger than ten, hence why they're not intellectually or emotionally mature enough to be deciding what sexuality they are and making it open. This may be appealing to Pro in the idealistic sense, but in terms of reality it's an entirely different matter. Pro attempts to assert that it's a different case for those entering grade 5,6 and 7, but again, pupils entering these grades are still technically children largely under the age of 13/14. Therefore, they are still not developed enough to definitively decide what their sexual identity is; note that this is primary education and before high school.

Sophia13

Pro

Sophia13 forfeited this round.
Emilrose

Con

Forfeit by Pro, vote Con.
Posted by David2000 2 years ago
David2000
Technically speaking you are a child until you are off the age of 18. I would also like to state that children are given sex education but when the topic of homosexuality is brought up many make fun of it. For people( children included) to become more open about there sexuality, society must change. Many people in this modern day society are still very homophobic and countries are allowing and some promoting it.
Posted by Ulughbeg 2 years ago
Ulughbeg
Smells of pedophilia, LOL
Posted by Gwydion777 2 years ago
Gwydion777
no no no no no no no no no no and no. To expose our next generation of the oddities that is homosexuality would almost guarantee more homosexuals in the future. I say no.
Posted by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Well, I'd say that decisions on sexuality aren't welcomed in elementary instead of homosexuality. Because one could realize they are homosexual right away, it's just that they don't know what to do after realizing.
Posted by Emilrose 2 years ago
Emilrose
;) Mostly I'm just basing my argument on kids being very young at that age, otherwise I support homosexuality being welcomed in high school, etc.
Posted by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
Probably going to be a win for Emilrose.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
Sophia13EmilroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was doing fairly well, all things considered, until forfeiting the final round.
Vote Placed by KonstanBen 2 years ago
KonstanBen
Sophia13EmilroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit+only source used+contradiction=Con wins