lmorrow
RoyalDark

Should housing be a right?

lmorrow

Pro

I will be arguing in this debate that housing is a fundamental right and that it is the government's responsibility to give housing to all people. First round is acceptance.
RoyalDark

Con

I am looking forward to debating you, Senor Liberal.

Good luck!
lmorrow

Pro

Currently about 600 000 People Living in the US are homeless. This is an enormous problem. About 1/3 of these people are living on the streets without a roof over their head. They are unemployed and are living off of barely anything. The single best thing we as people can do for these people it give them homes.

This can be economically feasible as building 600 000 small 1-2 bedroom apartments or small houses would cost about 80 billion dollars. Since the top 1% of persons in america have a total wealth of about 23 trillion dollars this could be paid for by raising taxes on the 1% by about 0.8%

Also Building all of these apartment buildings could create up to half a million jobs which would lower unimploymen from about 5.5% to about 5.37% for about half a year or so.

Finaly this could prvent 1000's of deaths per year from suicide and malnutrition or obesity.
RoyalDark

Con

RoyalDark forfeited this round.
lmorrow

Pro

Are you there?
RoyalDark

Con

Sorry about that. My wifi went down for the past couple days and I wasn't able to put in my argument.

It is NOT the government's responsibility to pay for these homes. Our government is under tremendous debt as it is and while it WOULD be very beneficial to needing families, our economy simply cannot afford it.

Also, taxes should not be raised on the 1% at all. Just because they have more money does not mean that they should have to give more of their hard-earned money to support those who, for whatever reason, cannot support themselves.

This also is the reason for homeless shelters and what non-profits try so hard to do. However, this is NOT something that the government needs to be taking care of.
lmorrow

Pro

First of all to rebuttal you first point doing this would not increase debt. If you charge in taxes the same amount that you spend the debt does not change. Assuming that when you say our government you mean the U.S government (because according to your profile you live there) the reason why the U.S government has so much debt is because the government is spending more money than it takes in from taxes. (A major part of this is that the 1% that you apparently love so much is storing trillions of dollars offshore in tax free havens. Solving this problem could fund my proposal hundreds of times over.)

To rebuttal your second point 1%er makes over 20x more money than the avrage american. Since the average american about works 34.5 hours per week if the money made was fairly earned they would have to work 34.5*20 or 690 hour per week which is impossible because there are only 168 hours in a week. Because of this I think they can afford to pay a bit more taxes.

Finally though homeless shelters are better than nothing they only store about 2/3 of the homeless. They also do not give nearly as high quality of life as an actual home

One other benefit of my proposal is that giving homes to the homeless would create 600 000 more workers which would lower unemployment and be a benefit to the economy.

Also why do you think that the economy would take a major downturn if we did this? and don't just tell me "rich people create jobs" or something along those lines.
RoyalDark

Con

RoyalDark forfeited this round.