JayConar
Lee001

Should how you live your life be decided by other people?

JayConar

JayConar

Pro

My opponent may post their argument straight away.
Lee001

Con

This seems like a interesting topic, but im mislead by your idea behind this. Could you explain?
JayConar

Pro

My opponent believes that your life should not be decided by other people, however, do they really believe this?

In one of their recent debates [1] my opponent suggests that gay marriage should be made illegal as it's, according to the bible, wrong.

Thus, my opponent suggests that the church should have a say in whether or not gay people may get married. Thus, my opponent suggests that somebody else (the church) should decide how another person (homosexuals) live their life (via prohibiting gay marriage).

It is necessary, in fact, for other people to decide how you live your life. Afterall, if you were to plan to steal from a bank, the only real deterrent is that it is illegal to do so. If you were able to decide that you should be allowed to steal from a bank, and if there was no other person able to stop you from doing that or at least punish you afterwards, then stealing from a bank would have no negative effects for you and thus you would be rich with no punishment.

Over to you con.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
Lee001

Con

1st off that was another debate, so we don't need to discuss that in this matter. Just because you believe in one thing doesn't mean you are being controlled. My preacher preaches every Sunday morning, dose that mean he's controlling me? No. It is my choice to go to the church and listen. Everyone has a choice therefore who is controlling them?
JayConar

Pro

My opponent's analogy is irrelevant. Deciding whether or not to go to church is one example of a choice you can make. However, other decisions, such as not being allowed to marry people of the same sex, can be made by the government by their passing, or not passing, of laws. This is correct as the law decides what is moral, whereas an individual cannot decide what is moral, thus they need to be guided by a higher authority. My opponent is yet to rebut this.
Lee001

Con

Maybe you should re-write your topic, for its not really clear. Some state to you cant get married but you can go to another state to get married if it is legalized there.
JayConar

Pro

I think the topic is perfectly clear. You have failed to rebut the fact that an individual cannot decide what is moral, thus they need to be guided by a higher authority, such as the bible or the government. Thus you have accepted that how you live your life should be decided by other people.
Lee001

Con

I don't understand? clearly you don't. We are already controlled by a government! don't you see that? They "TRY" to regulate us. Yes, a government sets rules and standards of living for us but a government also provides us with things we need. It provides health care for when we get sick, it prosecutes those who commit crimes against us, it helps us in times when we're financially screwed, it does its best to make our currency worth something. Governments are not all bad.
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
Good debating with you.
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
Posted by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar
Whoops
Posted by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar

Over to you con.

[1] http://www.debate.org...
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
JayConarLee001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con fails to address and rebut to pro's point about how con's life is indeed decided by other people.