I_am_Einstein
Hypnodoc

Should hunting be allowed all year round?

Con Tied Pro

I_am_Einstein

Con

Hunting should not be allowed all year round because it harms the enviroment and can be the cause of many animals going endangered or extinct. It can be dangerous to both human and animal because the person might slp into the water, accidently be shot, and of course the animals are going to be killed.
Hypnodoc

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for posting this debate, I ask that all who vote read and vote on the Merit of the arguments presented.

I will begin by stating that I am a Hunter I have spent hundreds of hours in the woods and I am very aware of the effects of hunting on the environment.

My opponent opened with an argument that asserts that Hunters cause damage to the environment, that they cause extinction in animals, and it implies that hunting accidents are a common occurrence.

I will debate from the stance that well regulated Hunting practices would not harm the environment but would in actuality help the conservation efforts, Strengthen the herds of game animals and reduce accidents.

First I must state that most hunters are law abiding and responsible we love nature and functioning as we were intended to we hunt and fish and gather but it is done with respect and responsibility. Hunters and other naturalists are less likely to pollute their hunting grounds and are more likely to clean up other peoples messes. not to mention that the fees paid by hunters for a tag and license go to conservation efforts and cleaning up polluted areas. Were we able to have hunters buying tags year round there would be more funds for the cleanup.

Secondly I will state that injuries caused by well educated and certified hunters occur less often than you would think. To be licensed in many states it is required that you take an educational course on hunting safety and pass a test this ensures that you hunt wearing bright orange so you are not mistaken for an animal, that you only shoot after identifying a target properly and within a safe area. Well regulated hunter safety requirements would allow hunters to do so year round in a safe environment.

Third. There has never been a case in modern history where a regulated hunting season has driven any animal to the point of being endangered it is only when there is no regulation where this type of issue occurs, There are a few studies that suggest hunting can strengthen herds of Elk and other game animals by trimming the population and preventing overpopulation that can destroy the environment and cause famine.

A Well Regulated hunting plan could allow for a safe environmentally friendly year round Hunting season.
I_am_Einstein

Con

That may be true, but being violent to animals only increases the risk of you becoming a violen person. Besides, some hunters only ake the hide of the animal, and leave the rest of the carcass behind to ot in the sun. I'm not saying that you do it, but some people actually do that. In the past, when buffaloe hide was in huge demand, they would just shoot the buffalo, skin it, and leave the rest of the carcass to rot. That's what caused the bufaloe to go extinct in Canada! someone from, I think it was Mexico, had to bring a couple hundred here.

Hunting can be allowed a week every 2 or 3 months, but not all year round. Nature must be respected, not just the human race.
Hypnodoc

Pro

First off I would like to note that I am in favor of a well regulated year round hunting season.

Now to address my opponent's claims. First and foremost the Buffalo slaughter was never regulated, therefore as an argument against my statement that a well regulated year round hunting season could prove beneficial it is mute as there was no regulation.

It is Illegal to kill an animal and leave the carcass after only taking the skin and it is not a practice condoned or endorsed by any hunter. Hunters are Law abiding Poachers are not please do not confuse the two.

As for your statement that "being violent to animals only increases the risk of you becoming a violen person" Is totally false you are mis-stating a theory that children who are found to torture animals may grow up to be violent adults. There is absolutely no correlation between hunting and violence against people.

Hunters have far more respect for nature than most people there is a reverence that comes from spending hours outdoors that is not found anywhere else. Most hunters are good sportsmen who hunt to help feed their families they do so within the confines of the law and they report poachers. We are stewards of the lands we hunt because if the land is not cared for the hunting will not be any good and the game will leave.

Your arguments are not factual, I agree that nature needs to be respected as do the vast majority of my fellow hunters.

It is the mis-conception that we are all poachers and red-necks that tear up the land with 4x4's and drink beer and shoot anything that moves that is most disheartening.
I_am_Einstein

Con

All year round hunting is very bad for the enviroment, because if hunters go out everyday to hunt 6 racoons or something, and a jillion other huners are doing the same thing, then it WILL lead to the complete extinction of the animal.
Hypnodoc

Pro

First off I must again state the I am for Regulated year round hunting. This would eliminate the possibility of extinction due to the fact that regulation exists to preserve the animal and nature.
Here again my opponent is mistaking responsible regulated Hunting practices with Poaching.

Second at current there are not a " Jillion" Hunters in fact there are only around 14.7 Million active Hunters in the USA today that accounts to 1 hunter per 154 square acres of land. Using this figure we can also then observe
the amount of game a specific acre can handle thus giving us an Idea as to that hunter to game ratio.

The widely accepted range is that 1 acre of land on average can support 5 adult Deer. it can additionally support hundreds of small game species like Rabbit, Fox, Moles, Voles, Squirrel's etc.

Therefore for every single Hunter in the US there can be approximately 770 Deer not to mention countless other game animals. This equates to 2.1 per day per hunter. With regulation this is more than an adequate population for year round Hunting.

This being the case there is Not a Valid argument that year round hunting will lead to any extinction as it would be a well regulated year round season.

Source 2007 report by the NSSF on hunter population and licensing.
I_am_Einstein

Con

I_am_Einstein forfeited this round.
Hypnodoc

Pro

My opponent has yet to post an argument that holds water, The Fact is that a well regulated year round hunting season would not only create moe funds through the sale of licenses for wildlife and land preservation but that it would allow help keep the populations of animals that damage the wild lands under control. Overpopulation is detrimental to any species.
I_am_Einstein

Con

Overpopulation IS bad foe the enviroment. However overhunting will cause extinction of the animal thats being hunted. Im telling you, Im in favor of hunting 1 or 2 weeks every month or so, but not everyday of the whole entire year.

I would also like to apoligize that I have forfeited a round.

I hope you all vote for Con, but you should vote for the better side, not the side that is right.
Hypnodoc

Pro

In closing I would like to state some facts and sources that are eye opening. Not only is overpopulation of any species inconvient to Humans it can be downright deadly. Human encroachmet on habitat has removed a large segment of the natural predators in NY and according to the NY DOT in 1999 over 60,000 motor vehicle accidents were caused by an overpopulation of deer within the state. The Goal of a regulated season is to preserve nature while allowing and other outdoor activities.

There has never been a case of regulated Hunting leading to the extinction of any animal in the History of the world.

Hunting is also great for the Economy hunters and outdoorsmen contribute 15 billion dollars a year in resources and funds to the US and support 300,000 Jobs with the forrest services of various states and an additional 1.5 billion a year in charitable contrabutions.

My contention was not that we should allow un-regulated hunting year round the effects of such a thing would be catastrophic, However with regulation we could have a year round hunting season that would allow for even more outdoor fun.

Resources:
1. Greensboro News Company Kip Kinkle (Oct. 7, 1999)
2. Derek's Hunting Ethics Page (http://php.indiana.edu...)
3. New York Department of Transportation
4. Deer on the run by: Kelly Stong
5. Nature Notebook Issue 9 by: Linda M. Watson (www.naturely.com)
6. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (www.peta.com)
7. In Defense of Hunting by: James A. Swan
Posted by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
I've seen this guy shoot. We both exceed this standard:)
Posted by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
US Military standards generally use the ability to cover a grouping with ones hand at 50 yards.
Posted by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
You should find a good Archery Range and Rifle Range learn to shoot as accurately as possible. I will not take a shot live until I am shooting a 1 inch group at 200 yards this ensures a clean kill also with archery you will need to learn to move in the woods without sound as you have to be considerably closer to the animal to make an ethical shot with a bow.
Posted by I_am_Einstein 8 years ago
I_am_Einstein
Bow and modern rifle, if you please.
Posted by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
Well I love drinking beer and shooting stuff. I am very picky about what I tear up with my 4x4 though.
Posted by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
Take a Hunters Safety course from your Local Fish and wildlife, and never confuse Hunters with Poachers it is considered very offensive in the hunting community.

What type of hunting. Bow, Black Powder, Modern Rifle?
Posted by I_am_Einstein 8 years ago
I_am_Einstein
so your a hunter? I was thinking of becoming a hunter when I grew up.Could you give me a few tips?
Vote Placed by I_am_Einstein 7 years ago
I_am_Einstein
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by RUNE_SCIMMY 8 years ago
RUNE_SCIMMY
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 8 years ago
GaryBacon
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by J.ADAMS 8 years ago
J.ADAMS
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Jamcke 8 years ago
Jamcke
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by critterrice 8 years ago
critterrice
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied
Vote Placed by Hypnodoc 8 years ago
Hypnodoc
I_am_EinsteinHypnodocTied