Mark1068
master-debaterr

Should illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, heroin,etc.) be decriminalized?

Mark1068

Pro

Decriminalizing drugs that are currently illegal would be in the best interest of society. I want to make clear that I am not in favor of using and/or abusing drugs. I am totally against drug abuse. My legal position on decriminalizing drugs is aimed toward lessening the harms society suffers as a result of drug abuse.

I want to clarify why I use 'decriminalize' as opposed to 'legalize'. There's a difference. Decriminalizing something simply removes the status of 'criminal' or 'illegal'. To legalize something makes that something more like a 'right', which I'm not in favor of. If marijuana were to be 'legalized', an employer would not be able to discriminate against an employee should that employee (or potential employee) test positive on a drug test for it.

Alcohol was made illegal during Prohibition. I don't see how we (society) didn't learn from it. Prohibition was ended for a reason - it made the negative aspects of alcohol consumption worse. I contend the same is true of drugs, and not just this drug or that drug.

master-debaterr

Con

I accept your challenge and hope to see a good debate come of it. I am arguing the side of the negation, meaning that i am against the decriminalization of drugs. After you sir
Mark1068

Pro

Thank you Con for accepting the debate challenge. Forgive me as I'm relatively new to the site, but I believe I made my position and initial points clear in my in my resolution.

I hate to waste a round, but I'm waiting on you to refute my proposition. More specifically, why shouldn't they be decriminalized?

If they were decriminalized, would you start using them?

If you have used them, obviously the fact that they are illegal didn't stop you.

Given the size of the illegal drug use epidemic in this country, how has keeping them illegal stopped or slowed use?

I was, for a long time, addicted to several illegal drugs. I've committed crimes and spent time in prison as a result - a result of their cost. The cost of drugs is so high because they are illegal - who's going to risk smuggling and selling drugs without the promise of large financial gain? The cost of alcohol during Prohibition went up, naturally, for the same reason. So did crime. Ultimately these were the reasons Prohibition was repealed.

I've met plenty of people who have used and not used illegal drugs. In neither case was the illegal status of abused drugs taken into consideration when people tried or didn't try drugs. I never once hear anyone say "I would try pot, but it's illegal".

Enough for now - round 3 will be sufficient to counter rebuttal and add more in support of my argument.
master-debaterr

Con

master-debaterr forfeited this round.
Mark1068

Pro

Mark1068 forfeited this round.
master-debaterr

Con

master-debaterr forfeited this round.
Mark1068

Pro

Mark1068 forfeited this round.
master-debaterr

Con

master-debaterr forfeited this round.