irp
Jazlilong

Should immigration in the UK be more selective?

irp

Pro

In my opinion, immigration should be more selective for the safety of the country, but it should only be selective in a way that is fair. For example, people may enter the country to harm it, terrorists for example, and obviously people will not want them letting into the country. In that case, I think these people should be investigated and prevented from entering as best as possible, no matter how hard that might be.
Some people come here to use the free services and claim benefits, which I believe is fine as long as they really need them and are trying to get a job and trying to fend for themselves, and are giving something back to the country. It only gets unfair when they come here and claim money that the people here worked hard for and don"t attempt to get a job or help themselves. Therefore, I believe they should only be allowed to live in the country if they are definitely going to get a job, or at least try to get one.
However, when people come here to escape danger, then I think that is acceptable. Coming here could save their lives, and I think the UK should be willing to accept refugees and even pay for them while they get back on their feet, because it isn"t their fault their country is at war or too dangerous to live in. Although it costs money to keep them safe, it really benefits their lives and that is a really good thing to do. As long as they can eventually work and help the country with the economy, if they decide to stay afterwards, and do not claim benefits and free health care while doing nothing themselves, then I think it is fine that they come here and they deserve a better life. It is within their rights to go where they want and do what they want as long as they are being fair and not harming anyone. I think at the moment people are being allowed to come here and do nothing but claim benefits, and I think it should be controlled more. Therefore, I personally believe that immigration should be more selective, depending on the person"s motive for coming here
Jazlilong

Con

Can you please provide proof of said statement '"Some people come here to use the free services and claim benefits" Free services is not a new idea and many countries have adopted the idea recently or are trying to. Are you suggesting that people solely come to the UK so they can injure themselves as often as they please under protection of Health care, while avoiding jobs and every day costs ?You are quite vague in your reasoning. IF immigration in the UK was limited, what would be the terms ? How would you determine that someone is indeed 'fit' for the country and how would you turn people away? I see your proposed method becoming very congested as we battle for racial rights, religious rights, sexism etc so forth.It leaves too many open doors and unanswered questions. It would be almost impossible to verify if any immigrant is going to "contribute to the country" in a way that you personally see fit. It is also quite naive to suggest that people can enter the country and in no way contribute to it. Based on what you have said I see no real reason to alter UK immigration laws or anything directly related to the immigration of people into the country.
irp

Pro

irp forfeited this round.
Jazlilong

Con

Jazlilong forfeited this round.
irp

Pro

irp forfeited this round.
Jazlilong

Con

Jazlilong forfeited this round.