Student104
danger93

Should individual technology be allowed for students to use in schools during lessons?

Student104

Pro

As a student in the last year of secondary school (I'm 15), I strongly agree that technology should be used in schools all over the world. My view on technology is that at least 75% of school children have access to technology at home, such as tablets, computers and phones, and show an active interest in using them. The media is highly critical of the use of technology by the younger and upcoming generation as many believe that books are being substituted and valuable life learning experiences are being washed away in the pixels that are gazed at hours on end. However true this may be the active interest in tablets will always be there so maybe the motivation for learning and getting up for school every day will be boosted by the introduction of technology in schools today?
danger93

Con

Individual technology should not be allowed for students during lessons in schools.

"show an active interest in using them." Yes, I do believe students show an active interest in using them but using them throughout lesson time can be disturbing and forgetting the lesson. I think it would reduce the students grade and be a homeless person once grown :(. Yes some students may be smart and be boosted up by technology but that is rare. Playing games behind the teachers back is a possibility for a student to do so, which can reduce their attention on the lesson.

I eagerly wait for my opponents response
Student104

Pro

As a student myself, I witness first hand how technology distracts students from their learning and in actual fact it tends to be the lower set students that are the main victims of their own technology. A teacher with a class of 35 cannot pick up students that are on their phones or ipods as they try and race through the packed syllabus'. I think that in top sets, students don't find it hard to find enthusiasm and motivation as the rate of achievement is enough of a spur for them, therefore if for example, tablets were introduced to lower sets the constant dishonest use of mobile phones would be eliminated and replaced by the technology that was allowed in class to benefit. Furthermore, by the introduction of beneficial technology would create new found attentiveness that may have been lost in the younger years of their education; the tedious daily routine for students would be changed and new hope given to disinterested pupils. Therefore, by using technology in schools students would not become 'homeless due to poor grades' but are more likely to help give them a much needed push in the right direction.
danger93

Con

danger93 forfeited this round.
Student104

Pro

Student104 forfeited this round.
danger93

Con

danger93 forfeited this round.
Posted by Student104 4 years ago
Student104
I will admit when I look back on it again I have opted to find a rather restrained member of the public to comment on their opinion to why 50's style schooling was so much more efficient!
Posted by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
It might be a good idea to re-write the resolution to specific forms of technology. Since the way the resolution is worded, it seems like your opponent is going to have to support Amish style schooling.