Should insurance companies cover treatments for transgender children?

I am looking forward to debating this topic!

Here are the rules:
Round 1 is for acceptance only. No arguments.
Round 2 is for arguments.
Round 3 is for rebuttals or new arguments.
Round 4 is for closing statements only. No new arguments or rebuttals.

I look forward to a wonderful debate!

Okay. I'm ready to debate. Good Luck.

Thank you, cam25aus, for accepting my debate challenge. I wish you the best of luck.

Treatments for transgender children should be covered by insurance companies. At the very least, hormone blockers should be covered so transgender children do not look like the gender they do not want to be. These children deserve the treatment.

Some transgender children have parents who do not allow them to be transgender and insist they stay the gender they were born. These children can easily become depressed or want to die. Over 50% of transgender children have reported attempted suicide ( These numbers might drop if all children were able to be transgender and get treatments.

If all transgender children could get treatments, they would most likely be happier. If we could accomplish that much, it would be a large step forward in their lives. Parents of transgender children should firstly accept their children, and secondly do as much as they can to help them. This includes hormone treatment and maybe even surgery, but if parents can't afford these things, they have hit a dead end. If insurance companies covered these treatments, parents could avoid these situations.

When transgender children do not get treatment, more trouble can arise. Consider a child who was born male but identified as female. Let's say her parents could not afford hormone treatments. By the time she went through puberty, she would look like a man. She would be getting facial hair, her voice would change" no girl would want that. In addition, she might be ridiculed. People would easily be able to tell that she was transgender, making her an easier target for transphobic actions. However, if insurance companies covered the treatments and she took hormone blockers and estrogen (the female hormone), people wouldn't easily be able to tell she was transgender. This might help her feel more secure. This same situation applies to young boys who were born female.

Transgenders can even have surgery to change their genitalia from that of the sex they were born to that of the sex they identify with. If this helps the children feel more comfortable, they should be able to get it. Therefore, it should be covered by insurance so parents do not have to pay for surgery if it is hard for them to afford.

Insurance companies should cover treatments for transgender children so all transgender children can take hormones or hormone blockers if they want to. If they take these and possibly have surgery, they can finally be in the body they want.

Okay. Well most kids wouldn't want to be a different gender unless they want to be kept straight and want to marry a different gender. And by the way, I never use websites. I use my knowledge.

No offense to my opponent, but your argument does not make much sense. "Most kids wouldn't want to be a different gender unless they wanted to be kept straight and marry a different gender." I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

I think you might mean that kids would be transgender so they can marry the gender they were born, but that doesn't make sense for a few reasons. One, transgenders usually identify with the other gender early in their life, before they think about sexual orientation. Two, gender identity and sexual orientation are separate things.

You might also mean that being transgender is uncommon. While it is true that more people identify with their biological gender, it is also true that something that is not the majority is not necessarily uncommon.

I do not really have anything else to say. I hope your next argument will be clearer.

cam25aus forfeited this round.

Here is my concluding statement.

My argument in Round 1 shows that it is only fair if insurance companies cover treatments for transgender children. The treatments are in the children's best interest and might help them have better lives.

Thank you for your time.

Please vote Pro!

cam25aus forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 7 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture